2006 Mitsubishi Evo Cooling System Goals and Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing as much research as I can on this topic. I'll try to keep things brief.

To start, it's really surprising how complex coolant is. From an outsider's standpoint, there only colors - green, blue, red, etc. - that's about the extent other forums take it. Not including the water choice, DI, purified/RO, tap, etc., the additives/packages/chemicals in coolant alone can be overwhelming as far as what your car "needs."

So, for a 2006 Mitsubishi Evo which sees very few miles yr and sits all winter, as far as I can tell I'm thinking:

1) Flush the system using RMI-25
2) Run Zerex Asian Vehicle Anti-freeze coolant (http://www.valvoline.com//products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/105) mixed 50:50 with demineralized water
3) Flush every year

Originally I was thinking of making the switch to Evans waterless, but it doesn't seem to perform that well in reality.

Thoughts on this?

To me the WHOLE POINT of owning an Evo, or WRX/STI, is so that I could drive a performance car in the winter.

I understand wanting to keep it pristine, and salt free, but it is not some irreplaceable, one off, exotic or anything (no matter how much one has invested in mods/upgrades,etc.).
wink.gif

If you completly flush the coolant out of the system you are going to have a hard time getting the correct ratio of 50/50 as Zerex Asian only comes in 50/50 so adding that to the pure water in the system causes low coolant concentration, which might be doable if you keep it above 30%, but then you need to find out how to get as much water out of the block as possible before filling the system.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
To me the WHOLE POINT of owning an Evo, or WRX/STI, is so that I could drive a performance car in the winter.

I understand wanting to keep it pristine, and salt free, but it is not some irreplaceable, one off, exotic or anything (no matter how much one has invested in mods/upgrades,etc.).
wink.gif

smile.gif
i get what you're saying, but for me, it is as close to irreplaceable as you can reasonably get - Car's got 24k miles on it, totally clean, 100% pristine. Not much in the way of modifications power-wise, but it does have some suspension work including coilovers that I am trying to keep away from the salt.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you completly flush the coolant out of the system you are going to have a hard time getting the correct ratio of 50/50 as Zerex Asian only comes in 50/50 so adding that to the pure water in the system causes low coolant concentration, which might be doable if you keep it above 30%, but then you need to find out how to get as much water out of the block as possible before filling the system.

Right, I saw this issue come up on another thread. The "solutions" seemed to be, either go to extraordinary measures to get all of the liquid out of the block/system when flushing, use a different coolant entirely, or flush the system with the intended coolant. Given the options, I'm willing to spend the $ to flush with coolant, however wasteful that may be.

My question is more along the lines of: will this coolant help prevent corrosion on a car that's not driven very often? Or should I add an additive, like water wetter or no-rosion (neither of which gets good reviews), or try something else - i.e., waterless coolant?

I think a yearly drain and fill is more than enough to be honest. Even a drain and fill every 2 years is more than enough. Remember, you're only putting less than 5k a year.

There was also a thread where too frequent coolant drain n fill/flush was discussed as not being good in terms of corrosion prevention. It was mentioned that it takes some time for the corrosion inhibitors to work.

Flushing the system with Zerex Asian we work and doing so every two years is way ahead of the game even if you only do one drain and fill every two years.

Originally Posted By: kyoo
Or should I add an additive, like water wetter or no-rosion (neither of which gets good reviews), or try something else - i.e., waterless coolant?

Even though I myself am personally a believer in NoRosion's products, most on here seem to think that the RMI-25 is a superior product, as far as additives go.

They seem to have something against the engineers'/techs'/tribologists' views, opinions, and theories on what chemical reactions actually take place in a cooling system, and how different 'grades' of H2O (and various additives) effect these reactions. Some even have gone so far as to assign the dreaded "snake oil" moniker to their products, which I TOTALLY do not agree with.
31.gif

The Lube Gard 'Cool It' is also a good additive, but I do not know if ANY of these additives are compatible/miscible with the type of coolant you are going to use in your Mitsu.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Or should I add an additive, like water wetter or no-rosion (neither of which gets good reviews), or try something else - i.e., waterless coolant?

Even though I myself am personally a believer in NoRosion's products, most on here seem to think that the RMI-25 is a superior product, as far as additives go.

They seem to have something against the engineers'/techs'/tribologists' views, opinions, and theories on what chemical reactions actually take place in a cooling system, and how different 'grades' of H2O (and various additives) effect these reactions. Some even have gone so far as to assign the dreaded "snake oil" moniker to their products, which I TOTALLY do not agree with.
31.gif

The Lube Gard 'Cool It' is also a good additive, but I do not know if ANY of these additives are compatible/miscible with the type of coolant you are going to use in your Mitsu.
21.gif

Gotcha. yeah I'm pretty for sure I'll be using zerex, not sure how it will react with any additives though. I just wanna preserve/protect my car...

bump - i did read that this is "red," not green as the evo takes from the factory - i'm assuming this doesn't matter, correct?

For street use, I tend to stick to around a 60:40 distilled to coolant mix with a bottle of WW, and track use is pure water w two bottles of WW. Never had a single issue, but the least modified car still has a top notch CR rad + Stewart pump + pulleys + SPAL fan + Samco hoses, so I don't know how that relates to your car.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
For street use, I tend to stick to around a 60:40 distilled to coolant mix with a bottle of WW, and track use is pure water w two bottles of WW. Never had a single issue, but the least modified car still has a top notch CR rad + Stewart pump + pulleys + SPAL fan + Samco hoses, so I don't know how that relates to your car.

Did you mean a C&R Racing radiator, or is that some other performance aftermarket Bimmer brand you mentioned??

bump - i did read that this is "red," not green as the evo takes from the factory - i'm assuming this doesn't matter, correct?

bump for this q

If you're referring to the Zerex Asian Mix, then it's a pink colored antifreeze and I wouldn't hesitate to run it in your application. I also would advise against any additives too. Modern coolant mixes in a clean system require no additional help. Nearly every modern cooling system I've seen has been perfectly clean.

gotcha - so no difference between green and pink and whatever

FYI,

Had a coolant flush for my evo this past weekend, 24,500 miles or so. took it to a shop I trusted. They used a pressure system to clean and completely flush the system. Switched from Mitsu green to Zerex AV (Red). They said it came out completely clean. I'll probably add some RMI25 to the coolant now and see if anything comes out.

FYI,

Looks like Zerex Asian Vehicle had an update to include a "blue" formula that is more suited for Mitsubishis (as well Subaru, Nissan, etc.)

IMO there was no reason to switch from the OEM green to something else, however it will be fine. Your plan is more than enough to keep the coolant fresh. I would put as much effort into keeping the other fluids serviced as well, along with the timing belt, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back