Did lugging my Insight hybrid damage engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While doing some hill driving I mis-shifted to 5th gear (instead of 3rd) and the engine started shaking violently (700 rpm). However the electric motor accelerated the car & the problem went away.

Or so I thought. After driving another hour, the check engine' light came on. :-| The engine sounds okay when driving and idling, so I hope it was just a misfire.

Most big chain auto stores will pull your codes for free. Do that and see what comes up. It's probably fine.

Don't worry about it. Happens all the time. Lugging wont hurt anything so long as its not done all the time (like you try to drive like that)

Sometimes my check engine lights up too. Most cars have reset procedures i.e. turn the key on and off 6 times etc....Most likely, your engine was just running super rich and the computer called you on it.

O2 may have picked up on some rich fuel mixture due to lugging it or maybe a knock ?
Doubtful you have anything to worry about , just get the code checked and clear it .

Auto parts stores in California can't pull codes for you. I don't know why, but on AutoZone's and others' advertising where they offer to do such have astericks and say that the service is not available in California. Maybe see if a friend has a scanner.

Every stick car ever made has had at least one episode where the driver hit fifth when he intended to get third.
Since this a pretty unmistakable error, the obvious solution is to try again and select third.
I wouldn't have continued in fifth, electric motor assist or not.
Still, I doubt that you did any real harm.
The CEL may be just coincidental.

I was always of the opinion that lugging was bad for an engine.

Then after spending time in Europe, where many commercial drivers lug engines mercilessly, without apparent ill effect, I'm just no longer sure. These guys lug on every shift, start out in 2nd gear regularly, lug up hills and so on. It feels awful.

And the odometers read very high Kilometers. All on the original engine.

I, on the other hand, like to see the tach needle near redline as much as possible. More fun that way. My engines last forever too.

Last edited:
The definition I heard is, "Lugging happens when the engine loses speed," so I guess as long as the European truck is climbing the hill at constant velocity, then it is okay.

My hybrid CEL went off after 4 starts. The computer advises me when to shift, and if I follow it, I would be shifting at 1100 rpm! I usually prefer at least 1500 minimum.

In the CVT version the engine just sits at 1500-1600 the whole time.

If I remember correctly, Honda has a service connector that you can plug a paper clip to and read the blinking frequency in the CEL for their own diagnostic code (not OBDII), that is usually an even better information than OBD can tell you.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Will either of those show me the amount of Turbo boost I'm getting in my 2005 TDI?

The torque app will, along with log it, and overlay your log onto a google maps of the route you took.

It's an AMAZING app. I swear by it. I got it a couple years ago for my Mazda since I couldn't afford (more so I didn't want to pay $500 for) a data logger. I've gotten all the datalogging I need done with the Torque app for $20.

Will either of those show me the amount of Turbo boost I'm getting in my 2005 TDI?

On second thought what I really need is a permanent-mounted boost gauge, so I can see the TDI's turbo in action. Or an instant MPG meter (to reduce fuel consumption).

On second thought what I really need is a permanent-mounted boost gauge, so I can see the TDI's turbo in action. Or an instant MPG meter (to reduce fuel consumption).

Scangauge or Banks IQ system would both fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back