Can you buy a new car with a debit card ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say if you don't wanna to make time payments and just wanna buy the whole
car outright, can you swipe your debit card and drive the car off the lot ?

The local toyo dealer has a $3k limit on credit cards. I think that applies to debit cards as well.

Maybe. As ss said, there's a limit at some dealers and it was likely put in place by the credit card companies after people started using their reward cards to buy vehicles and get the points.

I just bought a 2014 Silverado and the dealer required a cashiers check. For debit and credit charges they only go out to $5k and that's through their service department

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Buy the car then pay the lienholder off with your debit car?

That would require you giving your SSN to a used car dealer or having them or the bank in your business.

I'd only do this for the right contract price if they thought they were getting a sweet kickback on the interest rate, then pay it off next day.

We've usually just written a personal check for a new car.
We financed the '12 Accord since we thought the almost free money .9% rate was too good to pass on.
The problem with using either a debit or a credit card is that there are merchant fees involved, which might put the tranaction into a net loss for the dealer on a typical low-margin sale.
The card company couldn't care less, since they make money with each transaction.
So while you could, the selling dealer probably won't allow it.

The last time I bought a vehicle I got a pre-approved loan from
my bank, then next week I went in and paid off the loan.

This does wonders for your credit profile.
grin2.gif

The fee for debit/credit is 3%tops. So lossing money on card transactions. is [censored]. Big chain store pay a cap charge of 0.5%.
pay cash. call bank one week before plnned purchase date. Pick up cash on choosen cars test drive.
That's what my parents do. they request set buget of money from bank. 7 Days to research and choose car/dealer/service/ect/ect. Choose car to purchase and use test drive to pick up cash. cash is king.

ken

If you buy smart, the dealer ain't gettin' any 3% margin.
More like 1.5%.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Use Pay Pal instead.lol

That could work really well in your favor! Buy the car with Paypal, then say you never received it. Likely, they will give you back the money!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Use Pay Pal instead.lol

That could work really well in your favor! Buy the car with Paypal, then say you never received it. Likely, they will give you back the money!

Right!
And think of the money you'd save on living expenses while doing felony time for this theft by deception.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Use Pay Pal instead.lol

Paypal is NOT a bank. They do not have to "give back" your money. Educate yourself about Paypal

www.paypalsucks.com

You were apparently unaware that this was posted with facietious intent.

I did $4k for my truck 6 months ago, but it wasn't a debit card, just a regular credit card. It might have been a cash back rewards card, don't recall when I got it, good chance it was.

I'm fairly certain that banks can set their own rules on how much $ you can withdraw over a period of time while using a debit card. They do it to protect themselves when a thief steals your card, and tries to take as much as they can.

However, I don't work in the banking business, and there is no way I could afford to spend that much money, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back