How long does an oil filter last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the reason for my question. I've been using AMSOIL oil/filters with ~ 1 year drain intervals and a filter change at 6 months. That was when I was putting 12-14K a year on my vehicle.

Now I'm going to only be putting 7-9K a year on my vehicle and was thinking about switching to Mobil 1 oil and a good filter like Wix/Napa Gold and changing both at 7500 miles (prolly 9-10 months). I'm going this route mainly to save time under my truck. I'd rather change everything every 9 or 10 months than to be under there every 6 months changing either the oil and filter or the filter only.

So, my question is this: Will a good filter like a Napa Gold hold up for 7500 miles/10 months or so? Is that pretty safe? I feel like the Mobil 1 oil should hold up fine.

Thanks!
David

The NAPA Gold filter should last that long without a problem. In the long life study on the LS1 Camaro, he went to 12k before changing his NAPA Gold filter and the UOAs showed the insolubles level still under the danger zone. Every situation is slightly different though, so I'd do a used oil analysis just to be sure.

David, it would surely be best to do an analysis on the car to see how it was doing. In fact, in a change or two, you'll probably save enough $$ to pay for that analysis! But if it was mine, so long as it was well warmed up at least once a week, I'd run the Mobil 1 & Wix & not worry about it.

You missed one option, stay with what you are doing and leave the filter on the full year. I do this on two cars and if you have a well operating clean engine the filter can go the full year or full OCI, no problem. I have done this with Mobil 1 filters and Amsoil. Most filters do very little in the way of protection in a well operating engine. Yes, I have done oil analysis and have also cut the fitlers open after a year, they are fine.

Do the synthetic media filters (AMSOIL, Mobil1, other???) hold up better than the ones made from cardboard or whatever. I assume the NAPA Gold/Wix fall into the latter category. Regardless of mileage, is there a certain amount of the that filter media will start to deteriorate when submerged in oil?

I believe that if the filter is submerged in oil for a long time, it starts degrading a bit and becoming a restriction to oil flow, even if there aren't a lot of miles on it. I don't think this happens all that quickly though, so one year should be relatively safe. It would be interesting to see Bob do a flow test on a filter that was filled with oil and allowed to sit for a year. Test it when new, then test it at one year and see what the difference in flow is.

My $.02! Buy cheap ST filters at Walmart and your M1 in the 5Qt Jugs. Change your filter every 5000 or 6 months and be done with it. Filters are so cheap it seems silly to economise on them! $1.67-$1.97 per filter at Walmarts seems a bit cheap to worry about not changeing it out. THe extra oil top off will do your engine good by replenishinging additives and diluteing contaimanents.

Cost isn't an issue--time under the truck is. I am mainly trying to save time while not sacrificing my truck's health.

get the motorcraft filters if you have a ford. 2.77 at walmart, its in a identical pureone in a purlator casing. another good quality filter is the bosch premium, regardless of what ppl say about the bypass valve, it has done its job of filtering and flow.

[ July 24, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: HOndaGuy ]

I saw a purlator fall apart in my hand when I tried to look between the pleats. This filter had been on the car for 1 1/2 years. Paper chunks in your motor anyone?
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mrdctaylor:
Here's the reason for my question. I've been using AMSOIL oil/filters with ~ 1 year drain intervals and a filter change at 6 months. That was when I was putting 12-14K a year on my vehicle.

Now I'm going to only be putting 7-9K a year on my vehicle and was thinking about switching to Mobil 1 oil

In your situation if your only putting 9-10K on the engine. I feel that the oil and the filter would last that long no problem. Just stick with what you are doing but skip the filter change at the 6 months.

If you using a lessor oil or filter, I would reduce that to the 7500 or 6 months for both the oil and the filter.

Both Amsoil lubes and the Amsoil SDF will last 1 year or 10K. unless you are driving on very dirty conditions or very short trips(ie a farm truck that is only driven in the field, or your car that you only drive 1 mile every day.)

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Filters are so cheap it seems silly to economise on them! $1.67-$1.97 per filter at

Cheap filter are cheap! I'd use the top in efficiency and capcity before I would use a $2 filter even if I changed it ever 1000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back