Are peoples still doing 5w30 for winter and 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why you would, unless you have an air cooled car -- and even then, modern synthetics are more than sufficient to use the same grade year-round.

I did this year, but only because I was able to get some jugs of 10w-30 at AZ for $3 a jug.

That's what I do, even though my '01 Regal calls for 10w30 and it's marked on the fill cap. But I'm not afraid to run 5w30 year-round.

I used to, but not any more.

Several years back, I used to only use 10w30 as specified for the Grand Cherokee. Then went with 5w30 year round to use the same oil as the Wrangler. That was in VA where lowest temps in winter got to maybe 10*. Now with our move to MT, have moved to 0w30 year round.

These changes went with extending the OCI; from 3k to 5k and up to 10k, and one year intervals with synthetic.

I run 5w30 full synth in the Jag. Also ran that viscosity in my previous Volvo.

The wifes Clio runs 0w40 all year round and the Pathfinder runs 5w30 all year round.

Been many years since anybody in the UK has run different viscosities in summer and winter.

But it obviously doesn't get as hot as it does in many parts of NA though it does get fairly chilly in winter.

In my car I run 0w-20 in the winter and 5w-20 in the summer. I have to stick to 6 month OCI while under warranty.

Will likely do 1 year OCI with 0w-20 once the warranty is up.

I was able to pick up so much 10W30 for pennies a quart that it made sense to do 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer. Like Merkava said it doesn't get very cold here anyway.

Some times I do 10w40. I have it in my Jeep now because I got it for 95 cents a quart. Hard to pass that up. And the Jeep does not really care after 19 years. It gets fed a diet of oil that ranges from 5w-30 to 10w-40.

I think its funny that so many people think 10w30 is thicker than 5w30. At very low temps would be the only difference. Running a 10w30 in the summer as a "thicker" oil is not true. If the specs 5w30, Use 5w30, 10w30 is not useless but not any "better" or "thicker" either

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Are peoples still doing 5w30 for winter and 10w30 for summer ?

Why would anyone do that? That seems like an exercise in futility.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
I was able to pick up so much 10W30 for pennies a quart that it made sense to do 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer. Like Merkava said it doesn't get very cold here anyway.

^^^^This!
I run 10W-30 during the warmer months in some of the cars since I'm able to pick it up so cheaply.
It also wasn't that long ago that 10W-30 was recommended by most makers as the standard all climate grade.

It seems like almost everyone in my town runs 10w-30 conventional year round. To those who run synthetic, they run 10w-30 still. I guess its a "my family did it" favorite weight around here. You should see the look on their face if I mention my 0/5w-30/40 hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back