NAPA/supertech/advance auto synth, best for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! Been doing ALOT of research here, and find myself making a post. Car is a 98 toyota corolla. I like using 10w 30. Belive in better lubircation over a 5w 30. Now with winter coming here in southwest ct...other night it happened again! Have supertech 10w30 dino in, do oil change every 3 months, short tripper. Temps at night got around 42-44..Turning over car, that niose, it hesitated to turn a few cycles. Never that prob with a synthetic.
However, this time reseraching here, since i change it often, the oil, looking at supertech, advance auto or napa. Napa has a sale right now, and i know its VERY close virtually identical too valv synth...for $3.49 quart. Supertech not sure, but thought i read here its pour point was like minus 48 F! i know pour point is just where oil shows little movement...but at minus 48 F good enough for me! I see advacne auto has synthetic as well, and know its not a real synthetic.
Out of the 3, which would give the lowest temp startup. januray feb come its literally going to be 14 degrees at night. 10w 30 is going to be thick n hard too turn..so want a 10w30 synthetic out of the 3 listed. read lots of good stuff here, about wear numbers on supertech as well...

If the manufacturer calls for 5W-30, then use 5W-30. Just because you "believe" 10W-30 lubricates does not actually mean it does.

5W-30 has better cold flowing properties than 10W-30, and if Toyota says to use it, the engine was designed to use 5W-30. Remember at operating temperature, 5W-30 and 10W-30 are the same.

Since you are already at Walmart, Supertech makes a full synthetic 5W-30. IIRC, you can get a 5 quart jug for less than $18. I would personally use Mobil 1 at $24 for the same amount. Walmart also stocks Purolator oil filters, the correct application for your car is the L14476 according to Purolator website.

ok...the oil cap says 5w 30 yes. the book that came with car has the oil chart, above 0 degrees i think it was, 10w30 under 0 degrees F 5w 30 so i am ssuming its ok too use 10w 30 no?
I chose 10w30, becuase reading over time here, how 5w30 may or does sheer. 10w30 to me is more sheer stable, thus=keeping grade. im only doing like 1,500 miles MAX in 3 months, 980-1200 the norm. it also says to change oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first.
ive used 10w30 syhtetics even in the rcent past, on my old 95 neone,. mobil 1 10w 30, valvoline synth 10w30, durblend aa mix kinda 10w 30, all at 13-17 degreees out, car turned over faster than i turned the key. Its when i use dino it crnaks n cranks then ths dry start noise comes form engine, hence forth the sythetic. for when its cold.

Last edited:
10w-30 is not going to do a better job of protecting at low temperatures than a 5w-30, whether you are talking syn or dino.

Get a good quality 5w-30 (syn or dino) and use it with confidence. Don't second guess manufacturers recommendations because of a gut feeling or something your grandfather told you, they recommend a given weight across temps for a reason.

Why would 10w30 be better? I would run either a 5w30 or a 0w30 in that car. If it happens with a 5w30, the issue is other than oil related.

Its been quite some time since ive used a 5w30 in dead of winter at the temps i listed. jsut seems a cheap synthetic, even if it s fake, gives a better startup..
ive discovered even with 10w 30 as a synthetic car started as fast as ASAP..
But so far, everyone replied seems to htik 5w 30 even dino. dont want the 5w 30 dino to make that crank crank crank, dry start noise.

I'd take the Napa synthetic since it's Synpower, and it's on sale at a great price.

However, there's nothing inherently bad about AAP or ST syns. And the Walmart stuff even meets GM's 4718M standard.

Sorry man, but 10W30 did not cause your 15 year old econo car to make noises at 42-44 *F. Not sure why you would want 10W30 anyway. 5w30, syn or conventional, would be fine year round.

Run a 5w30 din....year round, forget about it and sleep well.

Mobil Super 5000 5w30 should work just fine (year round), and its reasonably priced at Walmart. In addition, a Purolator Classic filter(Walmart) should be a perfect combination, with a total cost for a 5 quart jug and Puro filter of abour $18 and some change.

IMO, 10w30 oils are 'old school', and will be off the shelves in a few years.

How old is your battery? Did the hesitation have anything to do with old or discharged partially battery? I highly doubt you will notice very much cranking difference at that 42 degree temperature. Maybe get the battery checked out at a part store.

Either this is a post to stir things up, or the guy just doesn't read or heed advice.

Even in a moderate climate, people are using 5w30. Even 0w30. But why are you asking this on an oil board if you don't even pay attention to your oil cap?

Clean the terminals on the battery, starter, and grounds. I concur with the napa 5w-30 synthetic suggestion.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
.... I chose 10w30, becuase reading over time here, how 5w30 may or does sheer. 10w30 to me is more sheer stable, thus=keeping grade.

I think you have that backwards. Most 10W-30's shear to 5W's in a couple three thousand miles.

use a 5W in your climate. Any of the brand choices you listed would work great.

Thanks for the replys all! interesting they wanna get rid of 10w 30's wow...
my battery..well i tkae care of it. september, checked the water level, was really low* so filled the holes with distilled water too the top. battery is getting thier in terms of age, friend put it in last year, he had for god knows how long. used a digitial ohm meter set on volts, september, charge is were its supposed to be 12.65 volts. perhaps regardless, its almost time for a new battery?

Use any certified 5W30. It won't matter and sleep well. Your engine won't destroy any oil in three months. You could go to 6 months without any issues.

Last edited:
cool: ) i had read here some feel 10w 30 lubes better, others think 5w30 are dirtier oils, becaue of the extra polymers added to make it a 5w30.. so felt right too me, but ig uess the pros here say 5w30 afterall! so something for me to re think..
now, ok, which of hte 3 synthetics i listed, would have the lowest pour point, for a 5w 30 then! napa, advance auto synthetic, or super tech synthetic?

If you're changing your oil at 3 months with only 1500 miles, use SuperTech 5W-30 dino. If you use synthetic, keep it in there at least a year. NAPA synthetic on sale or SuperTech synthetic - both in 5W-30 are fine. Buy whichever one is closer to you since they are the same price.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
I chose 10w30, becuase reading over time here, how 5w30 may or does sheer.

I think you meant shear. Sheer is what you'd call the dresses that the girls on the red carpet wear so you can see their bewbs in the flash photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back