DI intake valve deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Mykl

So basically, add track days to your maintenance schedule. If four 20-25 minute sessions flat out on a race track doesn't clean those valves, it just isn't going to happen without removing the intake manifold.

I love this idea. See you at the track for some valve cleaning!

Or, you come to my place and try to run as fast as possible to Pikes Peak, like I do sometimes. If you do not overheat engine climbing to 14,110ft, the valves for sure will be cleaned
cool.gif

Then, on the way back you can test how good your brakes are and whether your brake fluid is OK!

Sounds like fun. The only problem I would have is my car is naturally aspirated so the altitude would kill my power. But the brakes are ok, they'll hold up (16 piston fixed Brembo system).

So basically, add track days to your maintenance schedule. If four 20-25 minute sessions flat out on a race track doesn't clean those valves, it just isn't going to happen without removing the intake manifold.

Or, you come to my place and try to run as fast as possible to Pikes Peak, like I do sometimes. If you do not overheat engine climbing to 14,110ft, the valves for sure will be cleaned
cool.gif

Then, on the way back you can test how good your brakes are and whether your brake fluid is OK!

Sounds like fun. The only problem I would have is my car is naturally aspirated so the altitude would kill my power. But the brakes are ok, they'll hold up (16 piston fixed Brembo system).

Oh yeah, I saw cars with 300hp or more struggling close to the top. Turbo goes very good, I just hike up heating to the max and vent to the max and that keeps engine cool enough (although needle went a little bit over middle)!
It is good check of your brake fluid. First time I went I was going fast down, so my brakes (EBC red stuff and EBC sport rotors) started to fade a little. Went and changed fluid, next time it was a blast.
But if you really want to push car, right now I cannot remember better place to do it!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Also, what's cheaper - a day at the track or valve cleaning job? But a day at the track sounds a lot more fun.
smile.gif

Actually, if you don't insist upon pushing your tires and brakes to the ragged edge, a track day might not cost more. If you pay for the labor the going rate on a valve cleaning seems to be between $600 and $800 (dealership charge, forum sourced rates). After entrance fees, gasoline, and an additional oil change you should come in at or below half of that.

So if you back off when your brakes start to fade and don't insist upon spinning up the tires coming out of corners, you should come away without spending too much.

Also, it's way more fun than dropping your car off at a mechanic and arranging a ride to work.
laugh.gif

cool.gif

That's been my method for the life of my current GTI. Except replace Pikes Peak with Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains. With many hours of high RPM, high load runs down rural, little used mountain backroads my valves should be looking pretty good right now...... assuming this "high heat removes carbon from valves" thing is as true as my source claims it is.

There is nothing better then curvy, deserted back road. Maybe trip from Munich to Hamburg on autobahn would do more for your valves, but that is not possible, so I think this mountain back roads are much better then driving on interstate in 4th gear.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Maybe the TT-West guys would let a GTI tag along for a week of intake valve cleaning driving.

http://www.tt-west.org/

-Dennis

Thanx man, for sure I will contact them. I was driving through that region when I moved from San Diego to CO, simply beautiful, no police
smile.gif
and you have curvy+strait roads.

As far as I know, most summer tires have lower resistance then AS, but could be that some AS have lower then summer/performance. That being said, Pilot Super Sport that I have now on the vehicle get better mpg then Kumho AS that I got new on the car (to add, I will never understand point of having All Season tires).
I constantly have high mpg on open road (me calculating on gas pump, good ole fashion way). Last tank, HWY=70%, city+30% was 31.2mpg, calculated based on miles and gallons I put in. Take into consideration that one trip, that amounted to 325 miles was to Keystone ski resort, climbing to 11,000ft.
If I have a lot of city driving, it is in mid 20's to high 20's, but that is not very good way to determine, since I love red line from start.

I would have to disagree with you on the tires. Summer ties cause more rolling resistance due to the softer compounds that enhance grip. This compound creates more friction thereby more drag thereby not less rolling resistance.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
You get 37mpg in your CC??? I get nowhere near that in my GTI. The CC must be geared much much taller.

The reason for his better MPG is altitude. He's at 6,000 feet above sea level.

Ok now it makes sense I actually live below sea level where I am ha ha

Jeff

You get 37mpg in your CC??? I get nowhere near that in my GTI. The CC must be geared much much taller.

The reason for his better MPG is altitude. He's at 6,000 feet above sea level.

Ok now it makes sense I actually live below sea level where I am ha ha

Jeff

Yeah, but as I said, I was getting 34-35mpg when I lived in Alabama and in San Diego. It is true that I have higher mpg now since I moved to Colorado.
That being said, whatever I save on CC, Tiguan burns. It is like driving F150.

Last edited:
As far as I know, most summer tires have lower resistance then AS, but could be that some AS have lower then summer/performance. That being said, Pilot Super Sport that I have now on the vehicle get better mpg then Kumho AS that I got new on the car (to add, I will never understand point of having All Season tires).
I constantly have high mpg on open road (me calculating on gas pump, good ole fashion way). Last tank, HWY=70%, city+30% was 31.2mpg, calculated based on miles and gallons I put in. Take into consideration that one trip, that amounted to 325 miles was to Keystone ski resort, climbing to 11,000ft.
If I have a lot of city driving, it is in mid 20's to high 20's, but that is not very good way to determine, since I love red line from start.

All season tires are a necessity since summer tires are not recommended in temps below 32F.

Jeff

All season tires are a necessity since summer tires are not recommended in temps below 32F.

Jeff

They are not recommended below 45 not 32. Actually, my PSS start to loose grip below 55-60.
And that is why I have winter tires
cool.gif

Last edited:
Yeah no mountain roads for me. Closest ones are going to San Diego which is 90 minutes away.

I know track days. I have tracked Evo's since 2003 kinda retired from it buying the GTI. Track days are not very expensive. I an a member of speed ventures and track days usually run around $130 depending on where. What is expensive are tires and brake pads. On the Evo I was spending about $1000 every other month just for tires brake pads and gas for the track only. After my divorce I couldn't afford it any longer. sold my Evo and bought the GTI. I'm still asking myself if I did the right thing ha ha.

Jeff

Jeff

They are not recommended below 45 not 32. Actually, my PSS start to loose grip below 55-60.
And that is why I have winter tires
cool.gif

Most I used had a warning label of 32F. Either way who cares even with AWD things get squirrelly in the mountains. I have stories omg.

All I can say is my Evo saved my butt many a times.

Jeff

When I was living in Europe, I had job for 5yrs as test driver. One of the most important jobs was testing tires.
Over there, in continental Europe, most countries have law that requires winter tires from November 15th to April 15th. From experience, I would always choose FWD car with winter tires over AWD with all season tires.
There is no substitute over winter tires when it comes to snow, ice and below zero temperatures.
By ADAC and TUV, German agencies that are doing most comprehensive tire testings, 7 degrees celsius is trash hold for summer tires.

Last edited:
I think the only all season tires I have had in the last 10 yrs are on this GTI. That's because that's what came on the car from the factory ha ha

I live in southern California so I can run summer tires year round.

I'm just saying all season tires have their place.

The GTI is a great car. The intake valve issue is what it is. Time will tell.

Jeff

Last edited:
I think the only all season tires I have had in the last 10 yrs are on this GTI. That's because that's what came on the car from the factory ha ha

I live in southern California so I can run summer tires year round.

I'm just saying all season tires have their place.

Jeff

Yeah they come with those Pirelli tires.
I know, I lived in S.CA, no need for AS tires.
I think new GTI with improved TSI engine will have less issues with manifold and valves.

My car didn't come with the Pirelli's mine came with Dunlop A/S Tires

Oh yeah, I forgot they put Dunlop too.

Yes. Drive more, worry less.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back