Best oil filter construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between Mobil 1, NAPA Platinum, Royal Purple and K&N, who do you think has the best oil filter construction?

Thanks in advance,

kajunman

You know, I I don’t think were talking a repeat, a three peat, or even a four peat.

Definitely a Fram orange can. Best filter out there. I bet it could even filter out small rocks if I poured it in my engine.

grin.gif

OP - a subjective question. One might want to know vehicle and intended use such as 3K to 25K oil changes. Have you tried the SEARCH feature on this site?

My answer would be M1 as I normally buy them and have cut them apart. Well constructed. Have not had any experience with the others you mention.

All 3 are very good filters but I would have to give the RP a slight nod over the M1 because it's all synthetic media vs. syn/cellulose mix (a semi-syn if you will).
The Napa Platinum is a Wix product and probably just as good, maybe even better than the other 2.

Any one of the 3 will work well for extended drains.

Originally Posted By: pbm
All 3 are very good filters but I would have to give the RP a slight nod over the M1 because it's all synthetic media vs. syn/cellulose mix (a semi-syn if you will).
The Napa Platinum is a Wix product and probably just as good, maybe even better than the other 2.

Any one of the 3 will work well for extended drains.

In reading over the past few months about oil filter media, it was pointed out that a blend may be better than 100% synthetic as a blend (or no synthetic) can absorb liquid and the synthetic cannot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat
You know, I I don’t think were talking a repeat, a three peat, or even a four peat.

That's right, we're talking a minimum eight peat.

Originally Posted By: beadvised
Be advised says "Use OEM Filters and sleep well at night." Another great post by BE ADVISED!

So you are a "meets requirements" kind of guy rather than "exceeds requirements"?

So you are a "meets requirements" kind of guy rather than "exceeds requirements"?

No, definitely exceeds requirements. 2013 Ford Focus using 5W-30 Ultra changed at 5000 miles per Ford spec.

kajunman

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: beadvised
Be advised says "Use OEM Filters and sleep well at night." Another great post by BE ADVISED!

Some OEM filters are spec'ed for robustness with thick cans and higher burst strength, although generally known for also being poor efficiency to avoid clogging. However, there are people who have used nothing but OEM filters for 300K miles with zero issues.

The other thing I've noticed is that few aftermarket oil filters have molded gaskets. All Japanese-make OEM oil filters I've seen use a P-type molded gasket in a stamped lip. I've seen a few aftermarket equivalents (from Beck-Arnley or other companies) that emulate this. The only aftermarket filter I recall with such as design was the AC PF1127 as well as a longer version with the same base. That one was made by Champion Labs, although they seem to have moved to a different construction with a piece of cut rubber tubing as the gasket.

http://www.toyota.com/toyota-owners-onli...Oil-Filters.png
Parts_full__0005_Oil-Filters.png

To quote Bob The Oil Guy

"I've never seen a pic of any fram that has gone bad. some say they have had frams go bad but again, I haven't seen any myself. I'm like some, every thing has a bad one no matter who made it. even seen an amsoil filter bad. so again I'll stick with the fram. will never use m1 brand any more. I'll never use ptfe in any filter I have"

Fram and Purolator touch my engines personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back