What Sealer To Use On A Transmission Pan Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the transmission fluid on my 96 caravan i got the filter from the dealer and they did not have a gasket he said when that vehicle was new there was no gasket and then sold me the chrysler black form a gasket and of course it is now leaking what does everyone here use on transmission pans?
We do hundreds of engines a year and i never had an engine leak from the pan after a rebuild.. Lets hear some suggestions. I am using mopar atf+4 or valvoline atf+4

My Jeep Liberty had no gasket on the tranny pan, they used some kind of RTV sealant. I was able to buy a gasket for it, and have no problems at all with leaks. The pan was however a PITA to get off with the factory RTV sealant or whatever they used. I'd look for a gasket. Mine came with a filter as part of a kit, you might be able to buy just a gasket from one of the parts stores. Or buy the kit for the gasket if you have to.

Chrysler has used sealant for years on their tranny pans. It is a PITA, so replace it with a gasket that comes in a filter kit during the first fluid change. We have a tranny supply store in St Petersburg, FL (Kings Transmission) that sells the gaskets and filters individually.

I usually let my fluid drip for hours into a catch pan (after removing the filter). Then I begin the task of cleaning off all the old RTV sealant. Usually it comes off easy from the case aluminum rails, but the pan edges may be tougher to clean.

I buy a filter and gasket in a kit from AZ or AAP and make sure it is a composite gasket (I don't like the cork ones because they split too easily). I wipe the back of the case and quickly put the pan and gasket on with a speed wrench until all the bolts are slightly snug. Then I go around once or twice with a torque wrench to get the bolts to spec. Don't overtighten these and crush the gasket.

Rarely will I ever have a drip, but sometimes I need to go an extra 1/4 turn on the bolts to stop any drips. The next time I do a fluid/filter change, it is a piece of cake. No more fighting to pry off a stuck pan and have it release all at once!

what sealer to use we have just about every one made, from permatex to indian head..

Or should i use nothing except a rubber gasket??

Get the rubber or composite and use NO sealer. Sealer makes a lot of work for the next time you do it and is not necessary.

Quote:
Get the rubber or composite and use NO sealer. Sealer makes a lot of work for the next time you do it and is not necessary.

Nice. I've been looking for this info also, will be doing a 2009 Elantra and got a gasket with the kit, supposedly no gasket on it now. Don't know if I'll be doing it again though

There probably is a pan gasket available from Felpro.

Many OE "filter kits" do not come with a gasket, just the filter and any needed o-rings. I picked up a Motorcraft trans filter for my truck and it did not come with the pan gasket. I got a Felpro gasket by itself for $5. It was in stock at AAP.

I install rubber trans pan gaskets dry, no sealer or RTV. Generally rubber gaskets need no sealer unless the mating surfaces are gouged to [censored] or otherwise damaged. I put a Felpro PermaDry valve cover gasket set on a Honda CRV today and the package specifically said to install dry with no sealers or chemicals.

If no gasket is available and you are having issues with leaks, I would try Right Stuff as michaelluscher suggested. It isn't cheap, but it is the fastest curing liquid gasket available.

The filter for my Expedition came with a gasket, but the stock reusable one was fine, so I kept it on. No leaks.

I've been happy with the gray RTV. Used it on a few diff covers without so much as a drop of oil getting out. I assume it would work well in your case. Not to sound condescending, but did you try tightening the bolts?

Originally Posted By: hoosierrun

Exactly!

If this is the 41TE tranny I can add my experience, owning 3 excellent Caravans over the past 28 years.

At the allpar forum they debated this a lot over the years (seems the forum quality has dropped recently, IMO).

Sealant at the factory is easy on a clean engine, but not so much on one in service. That tranny has a propensity to drip fluid forever, making a clean surface difficult.

Dedicated, by the book MOPAR mechanics still swear by Chrysler's special GRAY transmission RTV. No. 5010884AA RTV . Your dealer gave you the wrong stuff.

Many diy's choose the gasket route due to the difficulties mentioned above. The FELPRO gasket is superb.. Available at AAP, it is very stout and comes unfolded in a flat box. It is thick and very firm, for lack of better words. Superb and worth $5.

Unknown to many, there is a steel/silicon reusable gasket available from Chrysler, but it is very expensive ($35??) and reusable 3 times. TSB is through this google search: [PDF] reuseable automatic transmission oil pan gasket - Ertyu.org

Give the Felpro a try. It won't disappoint you.

The Right Stuff.
I've done a bunch of 41TE's and never had a leak using this and the following technique-
Applying it to the pan, bolting it up till it just touches, waiting an hour or so(on my own cars overnight), then retorquing to just compress the bead.
YMMV

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 74DartSport
The Right Stuff.
I've done a bunch of 41TE's and never had a leak using this and the following technique-
Applying it to the pan, bolting it up till it just touches, waiting an hour or so(on my own cars overnight), then retorquing to just compress the bead.
YMMV

Per their own instructions, the Right Stuff is ready for assembly immediately. It has a 5 minute working time.

my 09 taurus began having a tranny fluid leak. i noticed it in the driveway and it's leaking slowly but still leaking as we speeak. it began a few days ago. should i add about a quart and take it to a mechanic or transmission shop? i jacked it up and saw the leak was coming from the transmission pan. what was the cause of this and how can i fix it and how much will it be roughly?

Do not drive with the fluid low. Be sure to use the specified fluid type if it needs some.

Go to your general mechanic for this. Transmission shops will rip off someone with a pan leak.

When I fixed one of these last, I had my choice of stuff out of a tube OR wait for a mail ordered gasket. I chose the stuff out of a tube and it worked. Yes, I let it sit overnight until it stopped dripping. Yes I let it sit overnight again after applying the stuff. Yes I torqued it a little more after that. Yes it worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back