Win 7 or 8 on a new desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say you wanted to get a new desktop as your primary home computer for everything (browsing, email, MS Office, photo editing, music, video, etc.) and you've never used or even seen Windows 8. You do know and have no problems with Windows 7 on your current desktop. Would you stick with W7 on the new machine or would you go with W8, and why?

Well I can't look at it that way. I know windows 8 is terribad and I like windows 7, so I stick with windows 7. If I didn't know, and bought windows 8, I would quickly discover how wretched it is and wipe it and install windows 7.

Just remember:

Odd numbers are good if you're talking Windows releases. Even numbers are good if you're talking Star Trek movies :p

I'd go with 7, at least for maybe one more service-pack of 8. Its not that 8 is "bad," its that so many of the defaults try to mimic an iPad-like environment instead of a desktop computer environment.

Once I discovered how effective Start8 is I decided to upgrade to Windows 8 (and now Windows 8.1). My hardware still works, and all of the important software I need still works. And Windows 8.1 starts up quicker, shuts down quicker, and has a built in antivirus program (Windows Defender). Start8 makes Windows 8 and 8.1 basically the same as Windows 7 and it seems to run faster.

Without Start8 it would be a different story. I would prefer staying with Windows 7 in that case.

I have Windows 8.1 and love the performance. With Stardock's Start8 and ModernMix, it has the traditional Windows Start Menu and forces all Win8 apps to run in a window (which is fully customizable). I use Windows 7 exclusively at work, and I find very little difference between the two in terms of usability. All of the same Control Panel stuff is in 8, and it runs so dadgum fast compared with 7.

I haven't tried Windows 8, but my sister-in-law just bought a tablet with Windows RT and I was just about tearing my hair out trying to show her how to use it.

Originally Posted By: dparm
If it's a touchscreen, definitely 8.

I agree. I have a touchscreen ultrabook and having the option to use the touch is really nice for rapid scrolling and using the Windows 8 apps on the start page.

I find Win 7 and 8 to be about equal in terms of usability. The main difference is you do more searching for apps and programs as oppose to use the old start page on 7. But for the most part, it's pretty straightforward. Took me only a couple hours to get use to it.

The one thing I will say about Windows 8 is it seems a little buggier. Sometimes it won't read thumb drives unless you reboot with the thumb drive in the USB. Sometimes the computer slows down and then I have to upgrade drivers to get it to run fast again. I still haven't gotten iTunes to open on Windows 8 yet. One of my Kindle books won't open on 8. So there are so quirky things that are a bit irritating. Still, I don't regret that I upgraded.

No touchscreen. I can't stand the sight of fingerprints on my monitor.
smile.gif

I built a desktop PC back in June and put Windows 7 on it. A lot of the bugs may be now worked out with 8.1 but I just didn't see the need if the computer wasn't a touchscreen. Win7 has my vote. It ain't broke, why fix it?
wink.gif

Have Windows 8.1 on my non-touch screen desktop. I have Windows 8.1 on my touch screen Ultrabook.

Starts faster than Windows 7 did. Apps more snappy. Shutdown faster too.

My vote goes for for Windows 8.1 on both touch screen and non touchscreen systems.

Microsoft Security Essentials has been replaced with Windows Defender which is actually about the same program although it integrates better.

Avoid windows 8 and 8.1 on a desktop at all costs. I speak from experience. The start menu add on does work but it does not make it a fun experience on a desktop.

Originally Posted By: rfeir
Avoid windows 8 and 8.1 on a desktop at all costs. I speak from experience. The start menu add on does work but it does not make it a fun experience on a desktop.

+1

Buddy of mine had a plethora of compatibility issues with 8.

If it ain't broke.....

I see no productivity increase using Windows 8.1 as web browser and as a web application developer. More a determent.

I run Win 7 as my base OS and use VirtualBox with 8.1, XP, and Ubuntu with great success. In the end I still prefer Windows 7.

I'm still amazed at how many people hold Windows 8 in disdain due to no start menu when there are several programs out there that place the start menu back where it needs to be.

Windows 8/8.1 runs fine.

If you get a new machine, as much as I like Windows 7, go with Win 8. It works A-OK.

I have Win 8.1 Pro on a laptop. I like the software, although it's hard to give it a good shake because of only 2GB mem.

As a side note, I have Windows software on a few Nokia phones. It's excellent, fast and well designed. I wish there were a few more apps (it's an odd place to wish more developers would spend time on a Win app ...ha) but otherwise fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back