Put RESTORE in the old Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have been wanting to try this stuff for years, but have always been afraid to put it in a decent engine that wasn't using oil to see if it was worth a darn. Changed the oil with peak 5w30 and a cheap Napa filter. This truck uses around a quart every 800 miles(valve seals, maybe more stuff) maybe more depending if I have been working it w/a trailer or not. The stuff came out pretty thick and to my surprise it was kind of a royal blue in color. Got the "v8 formula" so I am following their recommendations(19 oz). Let me say I am not a big additive guy, never use anything else just oil. Any thoughts on this stuff? I will be posting some results as I see em( or lack thereof).btw got it at Wally World for $9.xx. And they have roll back on their maxlife for $16.xx and valvoline synpower for $22.xx

Wow, me too.

And it's a good thing you got the V8 formula. Who knows what may have happened had you used the V6 formula, or even worse the in-line 4.

Originally Posted By: Richtrashman
Well I have been wanting to try this stuff for years, but have always been afraid to put it in a decent engine that wasn't using oil to see if it was worth a darn. Changed the oil with peak 5w30 and a cheap Napa filter. This truck uses around a quart every 800 miles(valve seals, maybe more stuff) maybe more depending if I have been working it w/a trailer or not. The stuff came out pretty thick and to my surprise it was kind of a royal blue in color. Got the "v8 formula" so I am following their recommendations(19 oz). Let me say I am not a big additive guy, never use anything else just oil. Any thoughts on this stuff? I will be posting some results as I see em( or lack thereof).btw got it at Wally World for $9.xx. And they have roll back on their maxlife for $16.xx and valvoline synpower for $22.xx

If you search on here you'll find most seem to think it helps when an engine is on it's last legs. Some evidence also that it will clog your filter, so you might want to change out your filter after 500 miles or so.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2897902#Post2897902

Here is a 9 page read on Restore, including two sets of oil filter pics and ICP analysis of the material found in filter.

Here is the bottom line from my experience:
1.) Restore is GREAT at improving compression.
2.) It could help reduce consumption.
3.) If you look in the bottom of your RESTORE can, with a flash light, you'll see actual "particles" in the bottom. Therefore, I change my filter out after 500 miles or so.

The stuff works, no doubt. I'm undecided if it's going to clog my oil filter. I kinda doubt it. I think the "gunk" in my first set of pics was from my dirty engine...not RESTORE.

There comes a point in an engines life where such additives have a use.

It's use probably goes against most of what you might hear on this site, but in my experience form the Bad old days, you can likely get another year or so out of an engine on it's last legs, by using stuff like Heavy oil, STP, Lucas, Restore etc.

Stuff that is said to Kill an New engine.

Had a Nissan Frontier 4X4 four cylinder that after 180,000 miles started to use a bit of oil/and leak. "Restore" made a difference. After an oil change I let it burn/leak a quart and added it. Yeah I know, I disobeyed the instructions. Still worked. Instead of carrying quarts of oil with me(well, one at least) I just had a can of that stuff. Sold the truck, has 220,000 miles on it now. Maybe I should have kept it. Dog liked it better than replacement!

Restore was created by a guy that had a beater El Camino in California,it burned oil badly and had low compression.He figured if there was a way for the grooves in the cylinder walls to "fill",then the rings would seal better,and make it run better.I guess he had some chemist friend that devised using CSL (copper,steel,lead) in a ground powder form,it would temporarily make a seal.The guy used it in the El Camino and it immediately raised compression and power.This convinced him that it was worth selling mass market because a lot of vehicles smoked.This was broadcast on TNN's Power Block more than a decade ago.

PHISHIN---so I read all 9 of your pages and looked at the pics, what do you think your final answer would be regarding the use of restore? as far as using it ($) every oil change it doesn't bother me much, if I cut down on oil consumption the cost balances out.do you think I should change the filter after 500 or so? also do you think that the combination and the volume of several additives could have caused all the goo in your filters? maybe the particulates were from normal engine breakdown (yours obviously had some!)that was stuck in the sludge of the engine you said was there? not doubting your findings by any means just trying a different p.o.v. thanks in advance
main question would you use it again?

I didn't know about the filter clogging. I always used a full synthetic motor oil(whatever brand was on sale) when I did oil changes. Granted, winter time I let the it warm up a little longer especially considering how hard that 4 cylinder works in a 4X4 pickup!

555--- I've had 3 of those nissans, great little 4bangers in those trucks! I worked the [censored] out of em! I heard those engines were so good because the gas block and the Nissan diesel block were the same, don't know if lore or fact but it sounds good! Regardless, good little workhorses! Did u use the restore in it every change, or just when consumption increased?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
If you have a 5 cyl mix the 4 and 6 cylinder formula!

that would be for a V10!

If little is good, more is better. :p

PHISHIN---so I read all 9 of your pages and looked at the pics, what do you think your final answer would be regarding the use of restore? as far as using it ($) every oil change it doesn't bother me much, if I cut down on oil consumption the cost balances out.do you think I should change the filter after 500 or so? also do you think that the combination and the volume of several additives could have caused all the goo in your filters? maybe the particulates were from normal engine breakdown (yours obviously had some!)that was stuck in the sludge of the engine you said was there? not doubting your findings by any means just trying a different p.o.v. thanks in advance
main question would you use it again?

Yes, I would use again. In fact, RESTORE is in the oil right now.

I thinking changing the oil filter after 500 miles isn't a bad idea. Is it needed? I don't think so. Heck, why don't you add RESTORE, and run it from 500 or go 3000 miles, and replace the filter? Cut your old one open and show us the results. Just don't cut the filter open with a Dremel like I did. It can contaminate your results.

This spring, I'll send my oil filter to someone on here with a filter cutter and post pics with another run of RESTORE.

Yes, I'd run RESTORE again. Yes, it's in my truck now. For me, since I burn a quart of oil every 500-1000 miles, and since I won't go over 3k miles with any filter, I don't change the oil. I just keep adding.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

If little is good, more is better. :p

When I started my "RESTORE experiment", I added two cans of the 6-cylinder cans. Since then, I've topped my truck off with 9-10 quarts of oil, and I added another 6-cylinder can. I've changed out the filter twice.

Last edited:
Phishin--- thanks for the reply! Will keep an eye on the pressure gauge and will post pics of the filter when I change and cut it. May take a bit, only put maybe 800 miles a month on it, anxious to see results or not! Will keep ya all posted

A member on GMTNation used it in her Trailblazer with the 4.2L inline 6. The engine did not like it, threw all kinds of codes, etc.

Originally Posted By: strat81
A member on GMTNation used it in her Trailblazer with the 4.2L inline 6. The engine did not like it, threw all kinds of codes, etc.

Ummm no. there isn't a sensor on a vehicle that could pick up the fact that this stuff is in the oil and throw a CEL. Its [censored] like this that spreads internet rumors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back