Would You use Supertech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fins
I quit using ST after having this in the bottom of a quart of oil - twice!

I've seen something similar, though not quite as bad, in QSUD clear bottles that have sat on my shelf for a year or so. One shake and most of it is gone. A little residue on the bottom.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma

I've seen something similar, though not quite as bad, in QSUD clear bottles that have sat on my shelf for a year or so. One shake and most of it is gone. A little residue on the bottom.

Ah Ha!! That's it!! I remember somebody saying Quaker State made the oil for
Supertech at one time. That would explain the clear bottle AND the sludge.

I shop for deals and get name brand oil at Supertech prices, so no need to use store brand when Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol are the same price.

If Cheerios and "Toasty Oats" were the same price, why would you pick Toasty Oats?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Subdued
did that guy just say a car is an investment?

Oh My.

So use the word purchase if you think that only investments are financial ones that have an expected positive outcome.

Without getting into a whole discussion about it, people invest in in many things.
Companies invest in new tooling to improve productivity, mechanics invest heavily in their tools, transportation companies invest in new trucks, buses, etc, all these things have a finite life span and a level of calculable depreciation.

Generally when someone purchases a new new car its for their daily use, they are investing in reliability (hopefully) and the insurance the cars warranty offers against catastrophic failures possibly wiping out the family budget.

JMHO

I agree with Trav,a car is definitely a large investment considering what they cost now. Average end cars these days can cost in the $40-$70,000 dollar range. My dad`s 4000 square ft house only cost $40,000 in the mid 70`s,I can`t imagine paying that kind`ve money for a car that`s just going to fall to pieces within a few years.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: sw99
I use St stuff all the time. From ATF, gear oil, engine oil & even their grease. Works great on everything I have tried it on. Motor oil UOA's were great so why use anything else? Most people think they are just too good for it.

Well some of us just don't believe in (and subsequently don't shop at) Walmart
wink.gif

I'm one of those people
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: fins
I quit using ST after having this in the bottom of a quart of oil - twice!

Is that the original bottle? I've never seen Supertech in a clear bottle.

Look closely: It's Supertech SM-rated oil. So, it's years old and the additives settled in the bottle. I'd never use ST oil simply because I'm not going to support WM, but I'm not sure I get the problem here? Additives settle when oils have been sitting on the shelf for years--that's why you shake ancient bottles that have been sitting on the shelf.

The oil has proven to work well.

That was from a few years ago...........but the oil was not old.

It was like a thick jelly, someone thought the additives may have separated out.

Last edited:
I know a few engine builders,all of them said the same thing.

You wanna use cheap OTC oils like Supertech,you wont be using my services.

Take it FWIW people,but again,I'll keep walking right past Supertech oils.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I don`t see saving $4 in a $41,000 dollar car.

No, I don't see it either. However, Walmart's target customers for buying ST products are not driving $41,000 machines. ST is fine for most 'bread and butter' cars and people who use them to simply get from point A to point B.

Having said that, none of the cars in this household are currently using ST. (but have in the past...)

Originally Posted By: chainblu
Walmart's target customers for buying ST products are not driving $41,000 machines

I see a lot of them on welfare and section 8 housing driving much nicer cars than the average working stiff (i know because i'm the working stiff landlord).
Escalades, X5's and 5 series cars are favorites among your upwardly mobile welfare set (on their third or forth kid).

These are Walmarts target customer, they are there all the time judjing from the amount of Walmart plastic bags in the trash.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: chainblu
Walmart's target customers for buying ST products are not driving $41,000 machines

I see a lot of them on welfare and section 8 housing driving much nicer cars than the average working stiff (i know because i'm the working stiff landlord).
Escalades, X5's and 5 series cars are favorites among your upwardly mobile welfare set (on their third or forth kid).

These are Walmarts target customer, they are there all the time judjing from the amount of Walmart plastic bags in the trash.

Those people generally do not change oil on their own ... or ever.

Last edited:
Would someone please post a link to the datasheets on the Supertech conventional oils .

Thanks

Last edited:
From what I am reading on here ST oil is junk.

With this being said, there are quite a few UOAs with ST oil that come back good.

Originally Posted By: stchman
From what I am reading on here ST oil is junk.

With this being said, there are quite a few UOAs with ST oil that come back good.

It's the magic of marketing, and on top of that wishful thinking that the money you're spending is getting you something that the cost conscious consumer isn't getting.

I could probably just feel my wife's Civic a steady diet of Super Tech 5W-20 every 5000 miles and it wouldn't skip a beat. However, I get the "warm and fuzzies" consistently using Mobil Super 5000. Can't explain why.

While I prefer to use something that's not a store brand, I'm not going to denigrate anyone who does as an informed consumer. The evidence is that WM sources their store brand motor oil from highly reputable suppliers like XOM and Warren and that they have a robust additive package similar to the big name oils.

ST has to meet the same standards as any of the other oils that are API/GF-5 certified.

Some here seem to try and imply that ST meeting theses standards isn't the same as others that do so. How they can imply such I am not sure.

Some seem to also imply that ST uses add packs that are less than desirable or that are from some company that no one has ever heard of.

The add packs are most likely from one of the same suppliers that the big names use such as Lubrizol or Afton since there are just a few add pack makers.

If you look at some if not most of the big name oils, they say that their oils "meet or exceed" API/GF-5 but when ST says they meet the same standards, it isn't the same.

How is it different for one oil to meet these certs. and standards but another oil is garbage that meets these same standards and certifications?

Some will say, Oh but brand X has more of this additive and that makes it better. Does more of an additive in brand X really make the oil better for normal use?

Most have probably seen one oil that has more moly, as an example, and another that has less. Does the higher amount of moly make a difference? Has anyone seen more wear in an oil with less moly compared to one with higher amounts?

I haven't.

We have seen report after report, thousands after thousands of miles, where ST has shown to do as good as, if not better than, the name brands. This as said, has been shown over and over.

It's Warren, Exxon Mobil, or Shell oil, with a "Walmart" label. Would some of you feel better if the bottle had a small Shell logo at the bottom of the label?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back