Rotella TP 10w-30; 6.5k miles; Dmax @ 39.5k

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
Here is the next installment of my Duramax UOA sequence.

Code:

UOA # 5 4 3 n/a 1 Univ Avg

Date 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009

grade (dino) 10W-30 10w-30 10w-30 15w-40 10w-30

Brand Rot TP Rot TP Rot TP Dlv1300 Rot TP

Oil Mileage 6.0K 3.0k 6.5k 7.0k 6.0k 6.6k

Truck mileage 39.5 36.5 33.5k 27k 20k

Filter Wix Wix PureOne Wix Wix

Al 2 1 2 n/a 3 3

Cr 0 0 1 n/a 0 0

Fe 12 7 14 n/a 10 14

Cu 3 2 3 n/a 5 13

Pb 2 1 5 n/a 2 3

Tn 0 1 0 n/a 1 1

Molyb 3 2 14 n/a 2 38

Ni 0 0 1 n/a 0 0

Manganese 0 0 0 n/a 0 0

Silv 0 0 0 n/a 0 0

Ti 0 0 0 n/a 0 0

Potas 9 6 11 n/a 13 4

Boron 25 27 35 n/a 24 105

Silicon 11 9 11 n/a 11 10

Sodium 4 5 7 n/a 2 4

Calcium 2326 2232 2336 n/a 2358 2094

Magnesium 29 26 133 n/a 10 416

Phos 1069 951 1115 n/a 1001 1090

Zn 1205 1069 1314 n/a 1201 1270

Barium 0 0 0 n/a 0 0

SUS @ 210F 66.1 64.7 67.6 n/a 72.5 58-69

cSt @ 100C 11.90 11.54 12.31 n/a 13.6 10-12.5

FP 425 410 415 n/a 425 >425

Fuel a 0 < 2

Antifreeze 0 0 0 n/a 0 0

Water 0 0 0 n/a 0 < .5

Insolubles .3 0.2 0.2 n/a 0.3 < .6

TBN 6.7 8.1 n/a n/a n/a n/a

TAN 3.0 n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a

As you can see, not nearly as much vehicle use as some previous years; time is short and we’ve not taken the long travel-trailer vacations in summer. However, that does not seem to affect the UOA one way or another.

This UOA is the same sump load and filter as last year’s; I’m running an extended OCI to check data progression. I have a Fumoto valve and I run “live” samples with the engine fully warmed. I UOA each fall season. It is my intent to extend this OCI into next year, as everything is in fine shape. The cost of the UOA (with TBN/TAN) is more than an OCI, but I want the data so I’m willing to pay the difference for info I’ll use in a pragmatic manner. TBN and TAN are what I’m most interested in.

As you can see, after two full years in the sump, everything is fine, even with lower annual use and extended storage sessions (typically truck is driven about once every 7-10 days). EGR system is factory stock, but PCV is rerouted to exterior dump; that is the extent of the engine mods. Same air filter for the last several UOAs.

Wear is typically low for a Dmax. Every point is well within one sigma; not a lot of variance, regardless of how they are used or what they are fed. These engines are flat-out awesome and don’t seem to care whatsoever about how hard you use them, nor what they run in the sump, as long as it’s a qualified HDEO.

Macro data shows that lube brand/grade/base stock mean zilch to a Dmax; same goes for the filter. Apparently time has no meaning either …

I continue to be impressed, but I cannot say I'm surprised.

Last edited:
Dave,

In the title it says "6.5k miles; Dmax @ 39.5k", yet in the code block is shows "Oil Mileage 3.0K". Is this a typo or am I misreading?

I am not a diesel guy, but could this have been extended? The insolubles (I assume to be soot) seem low and the TBN is still good as well as TAN. Unless you did not change it?

The chart is likely wrong as he said in the text the oil was carried over from last year, i.e. "two full years in the sump."

Anyway, yet another boring UOA. Honestly, it's too early in the game to do much prognostication or to armchair QB the oil currently. Based on what we've seen with other DMax engines, 6K is a walk in the park so this was no challenge. The only thing I'd like to see is the virgin TAN. Everything I have read says the best way to monitor TAN is to compare the used oil to the new... which is often a higher number than people think.

The time to look will be another year and 3K miles down the road. Based on past UOAs, that will likely be suitably boring as well. ( : < )

Sorry guys; that was a typo on my part. This UOA has accumulated a total of 6k miles; 3k last year + 3k this year. Shame and a pox on my household for not catching that ...
blush.gif
I have fixed the chart.

Oil was not changed; only sampled. Heading into 3rd year now. TBN very strong after 6k miles; TAN very low (not even crossed over yet). Insols very low. Absolutely no reason not to extend another year.

Cannot say what the virgin TAN is, but I still have about 6 gallons of this stuff awaiting use. However I'm not inclined to pay for yet another VOA at this point.

Last edited:
Let me get this right, correct me if I'm wrong. Two years in the sump and you have but 6k on the oil? At that rate you might consider going another two years before doing a UOA.

Also, at your current rate of mileage the Duramax will likely outlast your grandkids.

Another thought. The rubber in tires goes bad in about 6 years. If you really push the OCI, you may end up replacing the tires prior to your next OCI.

I could go on...

Originally Posted By: GBL
Let me get this right, correct me if I'm wrong. Two years in the sump and you have but 6k on the oil? At that rate you might consider going another two years before doing a UOA.

Also, at your current rate of mileage the Duramax will likely outlast your grandkids.

Another thought. The rubber in tires goes bad in about 6 years. If you really push the OCI, you may end up replacing the tires prior to your next OCI.

I could go on...

Yes - I was averaging about 6k miles a year, with about half of that with heavy towing (RV) out west for summer vaca's. However, these last two years, we've not had the time due to kids schedules, other priorities, etc to go out west. So the remaining local drives account of the 3k miles annually. I try to make sure I drive it once every 7-10 days minimum. I do use the RV a bit around here, but it pales to the trips out west.

As for the annual UOA, I do it for info, not for savings. It's not too much different cost wise, so rather than OCI I UOA.

Yes - I'll never wear the engine out. I didn't need the truck; could have possibly survived with the gasser I had. But I wanted it, and the huge reserve of power and control pulling my travel trailer makes me happy with my choice. It was an emotional itch I had to scratch and I don't regret it at all. I cannot justify it; it was a desire.

Tires already were replaced last fall.

This UOA series is to show how extended OCIs with time as the controlled variable (not mileage) are doable and the calendar is essentially meaningless.

VERY WELL DONE "dnewton3" ! I have 7,100 miles on my current batch of John Deere 15w40 CJ-4 in my rig as of today..and im going to extend this batch into next spring at least. I made it to this mileage without adding much top-off oil ( about half a quart) this past summer..which included much hard/heavy towing in hot weather, and also some hard throttle flogging while running some higher than stock HP computer tunes which reach 1400 plus degrees F easily via EGT readout... I originally wanted to run this batch to 9,000 miles to compare it to the near flawless 9,000 mile run that I achieved on the shell rotella 15w40 a few years back..but I figured that there is no sense in dumping out perfectly good oil right now at this point just to check UOA results. Im at the point where I have to add some more oil to get me to the springtime. This oil by john deere "plus 500" they adverstise means that it can be extended to 500 operating hours..and during my last oil change I noted my engine run hours..and with this mileage I am at roughly 232 hours in case anybody was wondering. So judging by this I "should" be able to reach around 15,000 miles with no ill effects! I will keep you and everyone on here informed sometime next spring! On a side note...during the cold winter months approaching..although I only live 3 miles from my job..I do my best to run my truck up to temp quite often..to get the oil up to optimal temp and burn out any condensates. I also use my radiator cover as well.

Last edited:
Ponch - get the Fumoto valve, and you can do live samples rather than dump and test. That's what I do. Cost is about $20, or a bit more ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back