My 2011 Chevy Cruze loses coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I have a 2011 Cruze 1.4T with 22K miles. I've had to add coolant to the surge tank several times. I have avoided bringing it to the dealer for warranty service for several reasons* but I will do so before the warranty expires in a few months.

*My selling dealer was closed by GM so I now have to travel 25 miles each way to the dealership which requires that I wait....also I have read the Cruzetalk forum which has pages and pages of 'coolant smell' posts and 'coolant loss' posts.
GM can't seem to find the problem (or won't admit what the problem is because it's too costly to re-engineer). Many owners have had their heater core, water pump, radiator etc...replaced only to still lose coolant...

I have noticed that when I fill it to the top line on the surge tank it will be down to the bottom line in a few months/thousand miles....if I don't add coolant it will keep going down but not as fast. I really don't think it's a leak but rather a poorly engineered system. It might be the high pressure system (20 psi surge tank cap) or else the turbo might boil off some coolant.

If the dealership gives me the run around (which I'm expecting because they claim to have no knowledge of coolant loss when I called about the latest recall)...I could just continue adding coolant occasionally (I estimate about 10 to 12 ounces are needed every 3 or 4K).

What is this boards consensus on coolant loss in the small displacement turbo? Could the turbo be boiling it off? Thanks

To me the 20 psi cap says GM already knows its boiling off and ghetto rigged it to boil less.

I'd go in for warranty work before the warranty expires just to get it on paper in case they discover it's a very expensive gasket ten years from now.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
To me the 20 psi cap says GM already knows its boiling off and ghetto rigged it to boil less.

I'd go in for warranty work before the warranty expires just to get it on paper in case they discover it's a very expensive gasket ten years from now.

That's my plan.
I agree that GM knows there is an issue and is being coy about it because the fix is expensive.

pbm, I know this isn't specific to your Cruze, but having dealt with GM vehicles and Dexcool all my life, since my parents have always had GM vehicles, I have to say that every single GM we've ever had has lost coolant.

My mom's 2007 Impala has had the head gaskets replaced, the water crossover gaskets, and the water pump (all under warranty), and it still loses on average about a half pint of antifreeze a year. I've taken it back to the dealer, they pressure tested the system, did a UV dye test, and can not find any leaks.

I don't know if it is a Dexcool specific problem, but all GMs we've had loose up to a pint of antifreeze a year even when the cooling systems have been checked over.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
pbm, I know this isn't specific to your Cruze, but having dealt with GM vehicles and Dexcool all my life, since my parents have always had GM vehicles, I have to say that every single GM we've ever had has lost coolant.

My mom's 2007 Impala has had the head gaskets replaced, the water crossover gaskets, and the water pump (all under warranty), and it still loses on average about a half pint of antifreeze a year. I've taken it back to the dealer, they pressure tested the system, did a UV dye test, and can not find any leaks.

I don't know if it is a Dexcool specific problem, but all GMs we've had loose up to a pint of antifreeze a year even when the cooling systems have been checked over.

My 2005 Saturn Ion with the L61 Ecotec doesn't use a drop of coolant, although I did have to replace the surge tank because of a defective level sensor (I don't know why they made the sensor part of the tank).

My 2002 Buick 3.1 really didn't use coolant but I did change the IM gaskets at 70K and I also used barsleak tabs several times as a precaution.

The Cruze loses coolant at a far greater rate than what I would consider normal.
If I thought it wouldn't ever get worse, I would be content to add coolant a few times a year (at this rate a gallon of full strength Dexcool would keep me going for 75K or more and also preclude future D&R's).
I will take it in under warranty to cover myself in case it worsens later on.

I want to avoid the dealer randomly changing parts unsuccessfully.
I wish GM would be more honest about the nature of the problem.

We have one service van that has NEVER had anything added to its coolant tank since 06!

I am only speaking to the V8's, but it is absolutely not a typical issue in any way. The dex debate is long ago over, it is NOT the problem here.

Is your turbocharger water-cooled? Is this specific to the Cruze, or does it also apply to the Sonic that also uses the 1.4T?

I always see condensation in my Cruze's overflow tank. I've refilled it once in 72k miles. It's also been retuned to a thermostat temperature of 200*F, which may be important.

Folks think it's a combination of the stock thermostat setting of 220*F, the water-cooled turbo, and a poorly-engineered surge tank. Couple that with some poor finishing on the lip of the tank itself where the cap rests on some units, and the coolant can/will disappear.

Take it in and have the dealer at least top off the tank and add UV dye. Then it's documented.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I always see condensation in my Cruze's overflow tank. I've refilled it once in 72k miles. It's also been retuned to a thermostat temperature of 200*F, which may be important.

Folks think it's a combination of the stock thermostat setting of 220*F, the water-cooled turbo, and a poorly-engineered surge tank. Couple that with some poor finishing on the lip of the tank itself where the cap rests on some units, and the coolant can/will disappear.

Take it in and have the dealer at least top off the tank and add UV dye. Then it's documented.

Sciphi:
Could you explain having your thermostat 'retuned' to 200*F?
Was this something done/suggested by your dealer? Did they just change the t-stat to the lower temp. version or did they have to re-flash the PCM?
I also get the condensation in the surge tank.
I've wondered why they went with a 20 lb. cap....why not 15 lbs. like my other GM's?

I've had a mild aftermarket tune on the car since ~3000 miles. Part of the tune involves lowering the thermostat's setting in the PCM to 200*F.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I've had a mild aftermarket tune on the car since ~3000 miles. Part of the tune involves lowering the thermostat's setting in the PCM to 200*F.

I doubt that many here realize the Cruze turbo 1.4 has a computer controlled stat!

I've read about Trifecta tuning etc...it amazes me that aftermarket companies can fix what GM can't?
Did GM set the T-stat temp so high for 'economy' reasons?

Honestly, 220 with the electric fans set accordingly isn't far away from what GM has done for the last 2 decades. Most Gm vehicles prior to about 2005 had 195 degrees thermostats with electric fans settings of roughly 215 for the low speed and 230 for the high speed. I suppose it's easier to get a specifically sought after engine temperature with the electric thermostat instead of a mechanical one and electric fans.

I've never liked driving GM cars and seeing 220+ degree coolent temperatures.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I've read about Trifecta tuning etc...it amazes me that aftermarket companies can fix what GM can't?
Did GM set the T-stat temp so high for 'economy' reasons?

More for emissions reasons. IIRC higher cylinder temperatures make gasoline combust more cleanly. The Cruze will let the engine run cooler to make more power when climbing a hill, or when sustained higher output is called for. IIRC it goes from 220*F to 200*F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back