Bobs oil filter test

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam

OK, I have been reading for the past couple days triing to get up to speed so I am sorry if this has already been suggested.
After reading all the presure drop info on all the different brands of filters and doing a little research on the bypass valves, I think what we may be looking at is the factory set bypass presure. The few that were extreamly low may have been leaky valves or defective springs. The majority seem to be right at the generally speced 8-11 lbs bypass setting. And possably the higher ones have been set higher to try and force more oil through the filter media when it does get warm or to compensate for the higher restrictions that may be caused by the finer media catching more crud and shortening the filter life.
The warm oil test or maybe using water as the liquid would give more insight to the filter media restrictions.

This is an interesting theory on the bypass valve.
I know some are set at 14+ while others are 8+.
The wix filter for my car says bypass 8+ where the Pureone for my car is closer to 12+ from what I have read. I think you may have made a good call but we really need the bypass setting for all these filters as part of this test for sure.
This information is a little hard to find for some filters but usually the manufacture will respond with a phone call or email.

I think that in order to get fair and consistent testing that all the oil filters need to be tested under the same conditions. The effects of bypass oil filtering could be studied at another time.

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
why dont we just test filters without bypass valves? wouldnt that be easier than guessing and making theory's?

I agree with you ,less variable is always better.

Pf 47 doesn't have a by-pass valve and it's used on a lots of models,doesn't cost an arm and a leg, the filter of choice for testing
cool.gif

I would agree with this. Using a filter without a bypass would give us a better idea what the filter material was doing. I dont want to starve my engine for oil, but I also dont want alot of unfiltered oil circulating because the bypass is set too low and wont close until the oil is really hot.

Sam

You know, if oil filters were really designed for a certain vehicle, the pressure required for the opening of the bypass valve and the adbv would be the same regardless of oil filter brand.

If they are not the same and vary by oil filter brand, then you can see why it is good to use an OEM oil filter. But since the car and truck manufacturers are using oil filters supplied to them by oil filter makers. exactly how many oil filters really are proper for the vehicle that they are installed on?

This could be a serious issue. But nobody seems to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back