Oil Additives for Valve Seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
After all this time i am finally getting the valve seals in the Suzuki engine, my question is how much air pressure do you put in the cylinders? please let me know...

Thanks Tack

Hi Tack,

If you or your mech has the spark plug hole adapter, all that it ever needs is anything over 35psi. More doesn't mean the merrier in this case so long as there's sufficient air pressure to press/push the valves against their seats.

Of course: if you are to "wack" the valves to loosen the retainer, you must do them when the cylinder is at the bottom, not @ top dead center. Otherwise: you'll risk bending your valves.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Tack
Thanks for all your replies, that is a pic of the head alright, so i guess the best thing to do is replace them, i already have a set of seals they came in the gasket set, so as they say bite the bullet and do it, the engine works so good, smooth and quiet, so now i will get rid of the start up smoke.....

I'll never disagree that replacing a worn part is a bad idea and if its a fiscal possibility then of course its a far better course of action than any magic elixir however not everyone has the mechanical know how to attempt to fix it themselves or its not a option in the monetary sense.
My suggestion was of course a band aid and would enable a person who isn't able to fix the problem right away some time to get their ducks in a row and fix the problem properly once they were able to do so.
I apologize if I came off rude,it wasn't intentional in the sense of being a jerk,I was implying that he didn't ask about a part replacement.
Anyways I know the motor oil saver to work in engines with leaks and valve seal problems which is why I suggested it. It costs 7 bucks a can which won't break the bank and it will enable a person to still operate their vehicle while taking steps to fix the problem properly.
He asked about an additive that would help his problem so I suggested one that will work and potentially save time and expense trying products that may or may not help.

Anyways quest I feel like I owed you an apology so I'd like to say I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Hi Quest:
Thank you very much for this information, as i did not want to try this myself i finally found someone to do it for me, i have a short air hose with the proper fitting for the spark plug hole and in the center of the hose a pressure control valve to set the pressure. and the other end plugs into the air hose from my compressor, thanks for the info on the "wack" i do print all this info so we can have it, the someone i have is a mechanic he does my other work as well, hs has done this befor on Chevy engines but never on a small Suzuki, i know he will make out ok he is very careful, but all your info will help a lot, Thanks again..
Tach

PS: Will try to send some pic's

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver is an ester based product I've used in the past for valve seals. Give it about 700-800 miles to work.

I may try it on my ol' 137k (or 237k? darn 5 digit odometers!) 1978 Chrysler 360. I was quoted big bucks to just do valve seals. It runs and drives great, it just burns oil some. It lacks a cat converter (a previous owner took it off, not me) so it doesn't have that to hide/catch some of it. Might be why it got pulled off, oil burning might have fouled it. My current state of residence doesn't do any inspections at all which is how I get away with it.

Hi
After all this time i am finally getting the valve seals in the Suzuki engine, my question is how much air pressure do you put in the cylinders? please let me know...

Thanks Tack

Most of the time i don't use air, instead i use a length of 3/8 nylon rope through the spark plug hole with the piston on the bottom and slowly bring it up to trap the valves.
Simply reverse the crank and pull it out when your done.
Its safer and easier IMO.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Hi

Thanks Tack

Most of the time i don't use air, instead i use a length of 3/8 nylon rope through the spark plug hole with the piston on the bottom and slowly bring it up to trap the valves.
Simply reverse the crank and pull it out when your done.
Its safer and easier IMO.

Great trick. An old timer machinist taught me that trick close to 40 years ago. At the time I wanted to replace valve stem seals on 200 I6 Ford Falcon and didn't have a compressor. He told me there was no need for one, and told me that exact same method. I works like a champ.

A quart of Redline 5w30 Grp V in the oil fixed my valve seals.
This temporary fix in an old 88 Accord has completely cured the cold start puff of blue smoke now for 9 years and 32K+ miles. (did wonders to clean up the SF-SG grade oil residues as well)
At 162K miles, it does not burn oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back