Dexos and 0w20 in my new silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up my new Silverado. 5.3 crew cab. 4wd Z71

Manual calls for 0w20 and dexos. On the dexos site there are 2 dexos 0w20's...mobil 1 and AC Delco. Says not to use anything other than 0w20.

Thoughts, questions, comments about GM pushing oil companies to license/certify 5w30 and dexos and then putting a flagship model out that cannot even use it? My dealer is going to have to special order the oil until they get enough volume to justify buying bulk. Wierd decision on GM's part

Originally Posted By: justinh384
In my area, the Mobil 1 0w20 is only about $24.97 per 5 quart jug at Walmart.

Mine 2!!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Jocephus

Manual calls for 0w20 and dexos.

Seriously ?

Isn't GM anti 20WT??

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Isn't GM anti 20WT??

They historically have stayed away, but with CAFE hitting full size trucks in the coming years they are looking for any 0.00000001 MPG improvement they can get.

As everyone else said just go with the M1 and you really have nothing to worry about, IMHO.

Last edited:
Go with M1. Good oil at a decent price point.

GM should have thought dexos1 through a bit more regarding the end user. There are quite a few 2-3 year old GM cars out that list dexos1 without a grade, as if 5w-30 were the only grade. That used to be the case when those cars came out, but no longer.

I hate the whole "dexos" thing. Its just GM's way of making more money. But, I agree, if you are going to require a certain grade oil, make sure that it is available to the general public. Waiting to see if the Chevrolet dealership I work for will get bulk 0w/20.

Originally Posted By: otis24
I hate the whole "dexos" thing. Its just GM's way of making more money. But, I agree, if you are going to require a certain grade oil, make sure that it is available to the general public. Waiting to see if the Chevrolet dealership I work for will get bulk 0w/20.

Hate it all you want, it's the same thing with a lot of other mfgr's as well. Just trying to make it simple for folks to figure out which oil.

Not nearly as hard as it can be made to sound here...

Originally Posted By: otis24

Keep track and Let us know how long it takes y'all to get it in bulk.

My dealer here simply put isn't going to have the sales volume to justify buying it in bulk for quite awhile.

Here's why I like the Dexos1 specification.

Dexos-ILSA.jpg

I would use any oil that states that it meets Dexos1 if l could determine that licensing (the list you refer to) is not an issue. Otherwise, pick your favorite oil off the list.

FWIW.....I contacted the folks that are responsible for the dexos website regarding updating the list of approved oils. I got a response that they are redesigning the website and will have more current information. Should be up and running soon. The site hadn't updated anything on the list since May, and there have been more oils that have made the approved list but are not showing up.

Does GM independently test oils to make sure that they meet their Dexos requirements? Or is it simply a "you pay, you can play" type of deal? If GM is concerned about protecting the consumer and the long term "health" of GM vehicles, that is fine, but do the testing. I am guessing that there are plenty of oils out there that meet or exceed GM's Dexos requirements, but they just haven't paid to play the game. Conversely, GM should test oils that are "dexos approved" to make sure that they meet GM's requirements and not just take the manufacturer's specs at face value.

The spider diagram looks a little different when different comparisons are made. The dexos spec doesn't really have a very strong number when compared to GF-5 in relation to E85 fuel. Which is rather confusing, as GM really promotes the flex fuel game, and then establish a standard that is weaker than GF-5 spec on how it handles E85. Not really an issue, I suppose, in many parts of the country where there is no real advantage to using E85. But in some areas of the country, E85 is a cost effective fuel, even thought delivering lower mpg out of the same engine.

And it is uncertain if the bulk oil at any oil change place meets the spec it claims to. API did a random sampling of 18,000 facilities using bulk oil supplies for it's oil changes. Of that sampling, 20% were found to not meet the standard they claim to meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back