Kevlar vs Semi-sintered brake pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get a new set of pads and the EBC semi-sintered I'm using now is not
lasting as long as the OEM organics did. Looking at EBAY offering I see a set of Voltar
brand (not familiar with them) Kevlar pads and also EBC kevlar.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the two diff types of materials and which will
likely last longest?

Unless you want to be analyzing brake pads for years to determine whats best, I would go for one of the two following ones. They always are well talked about on BITOG. I think Wagner has a rebate.

1) Wagner TQ.
2) Akebono Pro-Act.

I would find it odd that the OEM brake pads of any recent car was not at least semi-metallic.

Voltar? That sounds like alien brake pads.Or a kids show.No....that was VOLTRON.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Voltar? That sounds like alien brake pads.Or a kids show.No....that was VOLTRON.

My mistake; they are Volar. And I'm talking motorcycle pads, not auto.
Since the OEM's were organic, I'm going back to organic/kevlar or whatever you want
to call them.

I used EBC organics/kevlar on my Triumph, replacing the Nissin metallics. I like them. They take a while to bed in, but they have good feel, and good stopping power, with less brake dust. They probably wont last as long, but they are not as hard on the rotor.

Volar:
http://www.volarmotorsport.com/about-us.html
Volar Motorsport
Is a world-wide distributor for After-Market Motorcycle parts and accessories. We are the Manufacturer and we are here to provide great prices, quality products and exceptional service to both dealers and consumers.

The organic pads probably have the GG friction rating. The semi-sintered likely have the HH rating. The first letter is the friction coefficient at 250°F, and the second letter the coefficient at 600°F.
GG = .45 to .55 coefficient of friction at both temperatures
HH = .55 to .65

The HH pads will provide more stopping power. In some cases the GG pads will provide better feel. On my V-strom, organic GG pads are widely preferred on the rear and HH pads on the front. Galfer is another supplier of excellent pads, slightly preferred by some over EBC.

Why does pad wear matter? Do your pads wear out frequently? It might be your traffic conditions, or it might be dragging pads in calipers that need cleaning or the seals renewed, or perhaps you are inadvertently dragging your rear with your foot on the pedal and you don't realize it.

Originally Posted By: bpracer
Why not just go with the factory pads?

The price is much much more than aftermarket brands.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Volar:
http://www.volarmotorsport.com/about-us.html
Volar Motorsport
Is a world-wide distributor for After-Market Motorcycle parts and accessories. We are the Manufacturer and we are here to provide great prices, quality products and exceptional service to both dealers and consumers.

The organic pads probably have the GG friction rating. The semi-sintered likely have the HH rating. The first letter is the friction coefficient at 250°F, and the second letter the coefficient at 600°F.
GG = .45 to .55 coefficient of friction at both temperatures
HH = .55 to .65

The HH pads will provide more stopping power. In some cases the GG pads will provide better feel. On my V-strom, organic GG pads are widely preferred on the rear and HH pads on the front. Galfer is another supplier of excellent pads, slightly preferred by some over EBC.

Why does pad wear matter? Do your pads wear out frequently? It might be your traffic conditions, or it might be dragging pads in calipers that need cleaning or the seals renewed, or perhaps you are inadvertently dragging your rear with your foot on the pedal and you don't realize it.

Ken, no I don't drag the rear. My OEM rear lasted 20K, then EBC semi-sint lasted 10K and now on the third set of EBC semi's. A buddy with a Can Am like mine with OEM pads and now with 26-28K needs his changing. He's in early days Alzheimers and I have to keep track of
what he needs and try to keep him from having unnecessary expenses at the motorcycle shop.
I'm going to replace his front pads, if needed, as they are fairly easy. Not sure I want to do the rear one which is harder, but I may give it a try. At 79 the ole knees are going.

The reason I asked about Volar is while looking on Ebay for pads they had a complete set, front and rear, for a whopping $17.99!!!!!! A set of OEM's were $99, $30 less than shop price. I ordered the OEM's for him and a set of the Volars for me to look at and perhaps try later on. Yeah, I know, you usually get what you pay for. But at that price I couldn't resist! Ha.

I've never owned a Can Am Spyder, but I've owned numerous bikes, and used numerous brands and types of pads.

I've never had an EBC pad that I liked. I've tried Vesrah, Carbon Lorraine, etc, etc. The brand I've found to provide the best performance IMO, is Galfer.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I've never owned a Can Am Spyder, but I've owned numerous bikes, and used numerous brands and types of pads.

I've never had an EBC pad that I liked. I've tried Vesrah, Carbon Lorraine, etc, etc. The brand I've found to provide the best performance IMO, is Galfer.

Based on my experience with EBC, I agree with you. I didn't come across any of the brands while searching the internet specifically for Can Am pads other than OEM, EBC, and Volar.
Will look further so that next time around I might be better informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back