Stoeger M3500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new waterfowl hunting shotgun( Stoeger M3500 ). My Brother has a M2000 and I really like how simple and durable the inertia drive action is. The 3500 is very similar.

I am semi retiring my current waterfowling gun( Mossberg 935 )I have had for like 8 years now +/-. The gun has served me well and I have shot a ton of birds but it is time for it to get a rest. Also, the gas based action makes it a pain to clean( you look like a coal miner just coming off shift when you are done ).

I will still shoot the 935 as I am deadly with it but figured I would give something new a try. The Stoeger is basically a poor man's Benelli( same parts w/ lower $$$ ).

Anyone else own one?

M3500
Black Synthetic
28" Barrel
2.75, 3, 3.5
$560

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
...The Stoeger is basically a poor man's Benelli( same parts w/ lower $$$ )...

Wish it worked like that...but the Stoeger is made in Turkey of suspect materials and workmanship, while all the Benelli Semi-autos I have seen were made in Urbino, Italy with the best of metallurgy and fine craftsmanship. That doesn't mean that the Stoeger can't be a buy at it's price point, but it isn't a Benelli by a long shot.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966

Wish it worked like that...but the Stoeger is made in Turkey of suspect materials and workmanship, while all the Benelli Semi-autos I have seen were made in Urbino, Italy with the best of metallurgy and fine craftsmanship. That doesn't mean that the Stoeger can't be a buy at it's price point, but it isn't a Benelli by a long shot.

Maximus, I guessing you have shot a made in turkey shotgun for years and can have performed metallurgical analysis of said weapon?

That's a few hundred more than an 870
confused.gif
Not sure I would call that cheap?

I'm not intimate with shotgun pricing so maybe I just don't understand
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966

Maybe I should have said same/similar design vs same parts. I was not implying/saying they were exactly the same although I have seen some Benelli bolt assemblies that are identical to those on Stoegers. This isn't a Silverado/Sierra situation. I do know that the quality is not the same although I don't agree with your implication that Stoeger's are "suspect" when it comes to quality and workmanship. Any Stoeger I have shot has been a fine firearm.

Benelli's are nice that is for sure but they are way too expensive for me. My shotguns see 99.9% of their service while duck hunting over saltwater. No way in hades I take a $1000+ gun out for that.

Same company and very "similar" designs. I will take the less $$$ Stoeger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
confused.gif

21.gif

The Remington 870 is a pump shotgun whereas the Stoeger M3500 I bought is a semi auto. Big difference. $560 for a good quality semi auto shotgun is actually pretty affordable. Check out the high end models from Beretta, Benelli, Winchester, and even Remington and you are talking $1000-$2000+ for a semi auto.

Also, FWIW, I wouldn't take an 870 as a gift. Just do not like Remington ammo( shotgun - rifle is ok )or guns.

confused.gif

21.gif

The Remington 870 is a pump shotgun whereas the Stoeger M3500 I bought is a semi auto. Big difference. $560 for a good quality semi auto shotgun is actually pretty affordable. Check out the high end models from Beretta, Benelli, Winchester, and even Remington and you are talking $1000-$2000+ for a semi auto.

Also, FWIW, I wouldn't take an 870 as a gift. Just do not like Remington ammo( shotgun - rifle is ok )or guns.

Gotcha, OK, figured there was something I was missing there.

I'm quite fond of Remington stuff, but to each their own
cheers3.gif

confused.gif

21.gif

cheers3.gif

Remington's don't fit me. I swear they make their stocks to fit Oompaloompas. The stocks are just way too short on any Remington shotgun I have ever shot.

confused.gif

21.gif

cheers3.gif

Remington's don't fit me. I swear they make their stocks to fit Oompaloompas. The stocks are just way too short on any Remington shotgun I have ever shot.

Well I'm not exactly what you'd call towering (5'9") so that might explain why I haven't had that issue, LOL!

Well I'm not exactly what you'd call towering (5'9") so that might explain why I haven't had that issue, LOL!

I am 6' 3" with a 42-43" sleeve length.

Yup, that'd do it, LOL! A gun that fits me perfectly (most Remington guns) would definitely be quite awkward for you, no doubt in my mind about that
smile.gif

UPDATE:

Shot the new gun for the 1st time this morning. I wanted to run some ammo through it to break it in prior to hunting with it, and also to pattern test it and see if the Carlson steel shot choke tube I got for it likes the same ammo my Mossberg 935 does, but just didn't get around to it. So, it was a baptism by fire so to speak as I hit the marsh for some waterfowling this AM. Things went great!

Despite not doing the recommended 100 round break in I had ZERO cycle issues. This things cycles as smooth as hot butter. Really like how it shoots. I also took the time to install the recoil reducer that came with it( heavy metal cylinder that goes in the stock and screws on to the stock bolt ). I read that the M3500 without the RR kicks like a mule. Well, I felt it kicked less than my 935 by quite a bit. Instead of a hard slam as with the 935 it was more of a firm push. Much less annoying so I am glad I installed it.

The best news is I shoot awesome with it. The gun fits me perfectly and the shot goes where the gun is pointed. I only had 5 chances today as there was no wind and it warmed up quite a bit. Birds just didn't move a lot.

First chance of the day was a drake Black/Mallard hybrid that fluttered in over the dekes shortly after shooting time. 1 shot and 1 bird. Good start. A while latter a Bufflehead buzzed the dekes and another shot and another bird. So 2 for 2 and both were head shots no less.
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

After that a flock of GW Teal surprised me and landed next to my boat blind. I screwed up getting the safety off as they flushed so by the time I could shoot they were at max range and I missed as they flared away. As I was reloading from that 3 other GW Teal came past the dekes and I rose, picked a drake, and fired = another downed bird with 1 shot and another head shot.
shocked2.gif

Last chance of the day was a flock of Gadwalls that worked the edges of the spread but didn't want to commit. I finally decided they weren't going to get closer and rose to shoot. The darn safety got me again and they were really out there by the time I could shoot so like the 1st flock of Teal I missed.( NOTE - I am not talking about skybusting here - max range but doable - have made similar shots countless times with my other guns ).

So when I didn't screw up the safety I was 3 for 3 with 3 head shots. You can't do better than that. I do believe had I not messed up with the safety I would have limited out taking 3 birds out of those 2 chances. But?

I am VERY HAPPY with this gun. Works great and shoots where you point it. My only gripe is the safety location. I am used to it being on top at the back of the receiver after decades of shooting Mossberg's. I have to get used to it being down by the trigger now. I greatly prefer the Mossberg location.

All in all I was happy as was my Lab, Sadie who got to do some work...

So I guess that makes all your shirts short sleeve shirts

Originally Posted By: Sedona21
So...is the "fine firearm" still doing well?

As it turns out I haven't hunted/shot a gun since the end of 2013 so I only used it for one season. A combination of my Dad passing away and then my MS worsening has taken it out of me so to speak as far as hunting and shooting goes. Not sure I will ever go hunting or even shooting again?

For the one season I used it however the gun performed flawlessly. No jams or malfunctions. If I pointed it right it hit the target. No complaints. The one thing I did do was after a few hunts with it I had a center bead installed on the barrel rib. I find I shoot better with 2 beads to line up vs just one at the end like the gun came with. Other than that 100% satisfied with it. My Brother has borrowed it a couple times for turkey hunting as his gun doesn't shoot the 3.5" turkey loads he likes and it has performed fine for him too.

The gun is gathering dust in my gun cabinet. Maybe some day I will have the heart and energy to use it again.

My last hunt with it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: judsonj

So I guess that makes all your shirts short sleeve shirts

Not all of them. I just have to shop at the big and tall store for dress shirts, coats, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back