Oil Filter Internal Views

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm another person who cuts open oil filters to see how they are made - so I thought I'd share these for your info.
This all started when we purchased a new 2003 Honda Accord and after prowling around the net, I found that the NTPOG ORG web site that showed photos of a Canadian Honda oil filter that appeared to be the same as a Fram filter. I was really ticked off to discover this, so my friend- a Manager at the Honda dealer, gave me one to cut open to see for myself. Yup - made by Fram all right!!
I then started to cut open other filters available in Ontario, Canada to see what they looked like. Between myself and my friend at Honda, we cut open ~10 different filters. He is making up a display and will take them to one of the meetings with Honda Canada execs to show them the poor quality of their filters!! I will let you know what happens!!
The following posts will show you what I found.
Fram is on the left and Honda Canada over-the-counter filter on the right.
 -

Fram PH6811
 -

This shows the same plastic bypass valve and cardboard end caps on the filter media. The bypass valve "seals" (not likely!!) against the cardboard.
 -

Bypass valve disassembled
 -

Inlet with silicone anti-drain back valve (Silcone is better quality than black neoprene)
 -

Original Honda USA filter installed at the factory. Cartridge height 2.430", 48 pleats with a pleat depth of 0.5"
 -

Bypass relief valve assembly
 -

Another shot of the relief valve
 -

View inside filter element. Many holes in inner support for good flow distribution
 -

In the top photo, looking at the larger filter on the left, he filter element is glued on to the cardboard endcaps in a total haphazard manner.

It isn't even close to being concentric!

A 7 year old on crack cocaine could do better work...
mad.gif

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Fram "Extra Guard" PH3593A. Black nitrile anti drain back valve.
 -

Inlet and anti drain back valve. 12 inlet holes.
 -

Bypass relief valve disassembled
 -

The element has the same cardboard end caps and the poor sealing arrangement for the relief valve.38 pleats on the element.
 -

This is an internal shot of the element. Note that there are few flow holes and they are widely spaced. Not the best design for good flow distribution.
 -

Purolator Premium Plus L14449.
Black nitril anti drainback valve. Purolator advertizes 96% Multi Pass Efficiency based on the SAE test.
 -

Filter element with 62 pleats. Appears to have a large filtration area. Metal end caps.
 -

Bypass relief valve. It appears to be made from some kind of rough phenolic material and does not seal completely. This would allow a (very) small amount of dirty oil to bypass the filter. T(The best filters have a rubber to metal sealing surfaces)
 -

Internal view. Note many holes that are well distributed. The bypass relief valve is at the top.
 -

This is my Amsoil SDF20 filter!!! Amsoil advertizes 94% Efficiency based on SAE HS806 test.7 inlet holes at 0.250" diameter. Can thickness 0.014"
 -

Black nitrile anti drainback valve. 43 pleats. Pleat depth is 0.525" Cartridge height is 2.1"
 -

Internal view. Bypass valve at top. Many flow holes in the inner support.
 -

This is the bypass relief valve. It has a metal-to-metal seal. It does leak a small amount.
 -

Bosch 72168. Cartridge has metal end caps. 40 pleats with a pleat depth of 0.700" Cartridge height is 1.8". 4 inlet holes @0.250” and 1 @0.310” diameter.
 -

This is the bypass valve. It has the best sealing arrangement that I've seen with a rubber to metal seal.
 -

Many flow holes in inner support.
 -

Anti drainback valve. Note raised edge in the valve for good sealing.
 -

Fram Extended Guard X2 XG3593A
This appears to be a relatively new filter from Fram as I havent seen it before. As you can see it is a completely different design and should be much better than the other Fram's. - at about 3 times the price!!! It has metal end caps on the element and silicone anti drain back valve.

-

-

Unfortunately Fram still used the same plastic poppet type relief valve that passes.
 -

Another poor feature is that there are few oil holes in the inner support. This does not allow good flow distribution.
 -

NAPA Gold 1334
Can thickness 0.014”. 6 inlet holes at 0.275” diameter.
 -

Silicone anti drain back seal. Seals against metal on filter can. Should be no leakage.
Filter cartridge has 49 pleats. Filter height is 1.9” with pleat depth of 0.450”.
 -

Large internal support flow holes. Good flow area. Relief valve assembly visible at top.
 -

Rough finish phenolic relief valve poppet. Seals against steel cartridge cover. Vacuum test indicates leakage.
 -

Axial view showing annular gap for oil flow into the filter element.
 -

K&N Performance Gold HP-1004
Can thickness 0.024”. K&N advertises 550PSI burst strength.
Can has nut for easy removal and a hole to lock wire the filter for racing.

-

Rounded inlet seal (similar to Bosch)
1 inlet hole at 0.312” diameter and 4 @ 0.250” (same as Bosch)
 -

Many holes in inner support for good flow area and distribution. Relief valve visible at top.
 -

Nitrile rubber anti drain back valve. Note raised “o-ring” type seal at edge for improved sealing. This is also similar to Bosch.Filter cartridge has 49 pleats with a depth of 0.665”. Filter element height is 1.8”.The manufacturer claims 90% efficiency on package, but no SAE test is referenced.
 -

Rubber seal on relief valve for positive seal. Strong relief valve spring.

-

Axial view showing annular space for oil flow into the filter element.

-

Toyota 9015-YZZA2 ( 2002 Toyota Camry, 4 cyl)
One of my neighbours wondered what the inside of a Toyota filter looks like - so I got one to cut it open. The filter element is completely different than any other I've seen.Can thickness 0.015”.Nitrile anti drain-back valve.

-

8 inlet holes @0.2” diameter.Seal has rounded cross section for better seal.

-

Filter element fits very tight into the can. There is very little area for oil flow to the element. The oil must either flow between the can and the element or down the small slots to gain access to the filter element material.
One section of element end cap cut away to show pleats. Just try to image cold oil flowing through this filter!!! The cold oil cannot easily get the bypass valve at the other end of the filter!!!
 -

Anti drain-back valve has raised lip for better seal.Filter element height is 1.9”.Filter element diameter is 2.4”.
 -

Fewer holes than most filters. Restricted flow area.

-

Oil flow appears to be as follows:
1. make a right angle turn into the slots and
2. then another right angle turn to flow tangentially through the filter pleats and
3. then another turn to flow radially inwards through another slot and
4. then through the inner holes and another right angle turn to the outlet.The pleats are packed very close together. (I've cut one section open to show the internal filter pleats.)
I've sometimes wondered if this is not a contributor to the "oil gelling" problem in some Toyota engines.
 -

Relief valve assembly. Unique spring design. Metal-to-metal seal.The valve does not seal completely and will allow bypass of dirty oil.
 -

Pablo

I had these posted on the MDX ORG web site so I copied them here. It is a real pain to have to copy everything - rather than simply posting a link here!!! However- looks like a great bunch of people at this Forum so it is worth it.
No - never found the string on any elements - nor any sign that they had been there.

Interesting - I took a Ford FL-1A apart the other day and it had the string....

As I said - I need a good camera - I do have an old SLR 35mm - I could take shots, get em developed, scan them....yikes....

Last year I bought a Canon Powershot G2 with 4 megapixel resolution. Was not cheap, but it takes terrific pictures - especially all the above closeup views. They have newer model now, but in general, digital cameras are getting better and cheaper every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back