Long term M1 0w40 use in VW ALH TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what everyone thinks about long term use of M1 0w40 in an ALH TDI? The new SN version no longer carries a diesel rating on it. It still does list the VW 505.00 approval. I have seen UOAs on here showing it did well with this oil in my engine. Can it be safely run for the 10k interval as recommended by VW? I ask because I have two in the fleet at this point and my preference for this oil is because the higher mileage 99 Beetle I have (~205k) uses Rotella T6 and syntec 0w40 but doesn't use a drop of the M1 for some reason. It gets almost 1,000 miles a week so not having to add oil would be convenient. Just making sure I am not making a bad decision by using this oil and planning to use it year round. It does start up better than the Rotella or Castrol in the cold weather with this oil and is quieter on the M1 both at startup and while running. The lower mileage 99 Beetle I have (~98k) is still going through break in after some engine work but will probably get the M1 for the winter months as well. I know many have used that oil in the Jeep Liberty CRD and not sure they had any issues with it. Just trying to avoid any expensive issues in the future because of it. Thanks in advance for any input!

This is a great question and something I've wondered as well. M1 0w-40 is the only M1 oil that carries the VW 505.00 and ACEA B3 & B4 ratings VW calls out for the ALH. But if you use Mobil's oil selector for an ALH TDI, it points you to M1 TDT. Seems based on specs alone M1 0w-40 would be the the first choice, but both here and on other boards ACEA E7 and E9 oils like TDT and T6 seem to be the overwhelming favorites.

I am also trying to stay away from the emissions friendly oils since I do not have that issue in my cars. I have been paying attention to the B3 & B4 ratings. I also try to stay away from the 505.01 oils for the PD TDI since I do not need that either and they seem to have a weaker add pack. Not saying I had any issues with the Rotella T6 and I know many run it with success. I just note that it starts up easier, cranks faster and is quieter in the cold weather on the M1. After putting a turbo on the higher mileage Beetle I would like to stay away from any oils that will give me any oil related issues. That thing wasn't cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back