Who makes AC-Delco and Motorcraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bue apparently the AC-Delco and Motorcraft oil filters have design characterisitcs of both the PureOne and the Purolator Premium Plus. They must be built to design requirements of GM and Ford.

OK:

Motorcraft FACTORY filters (not the ones you can buy, but the ones that come on the car or truck from the factory) are Champion filters.

Motorcraft AFTERMARKET filters (what we can all buy at our dealer or Wal-mart or whereever) are Purolator filters. Filtering media is similar to the Pure One, but the bypass valves are different. In this manner, it is similar to a pure one, but made to Ford's specs.

As far as AC Delco goes, the ones I have seen have been Champion units, but since I don't own any GM vehicles and AC's in my size have been very hard to find (I have seen exactly one in a store, which I bought, and they haven't had it since - over a year now!) I haven't payed much attention.

I highly doubt any of the big three makes their own filters. GM and Ford seem to have LONG term relationships with reputable builders. Mopar filters seem like they could be made by whoever was the low bidder at the time, and as some have noted, that includes Fram.

I think Delphi and Champion make AC Delco filters. I know that the ones sold at Autozone look like Champion filters (many of the same visual clues), while the ones at Advance are visually different.

There has been some discussion here about AC-Delco and Motorcraft oil filters appearing somewhat like Purolator oil filters. Some people believe that Purolator makes the AC-Delco and Motorcraft (although Champion Labs may make the factory installed oil filters). Some other people think that the AC-Delco and Motorcraft oil filters just have some of the design characteristics of the Purolator.

Does GM and Ford still make their own oil filters, or do they in fact use Champion and Purolator oil filters? Or maybe they have Champion Labs and Purolator make oil filters for them with their design requirements?

What about Chryster? Who makes their oil filters?

I'm about 99.9% certain that none of the big 3 make their own filters these days. Chrysler certainly doesn't, they buy in batches from the lowest bidder. Sometimes that bidder has been(ugh!) Fram.

I guess we can't post links but if you search for Oil Filter Test you will find a few good ones.

I believe the minimopar study discusses how to ID a filters manufacturer by the stampings and hole arrangement on the baseplate.

I have purchased AC filters that are clearly Champions. I do think Purolater makes some Motorcraft filters. Honda apparently buys from Fram (yuck)...

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
I think Delphi and Champion make AC Delco filters. I know that the ones sold at Autozone look like Champion filters (many of the same visual clues), while the ones at Advance are visually different.

Correct. AC Delco filters are made by Champion and Delphi. You can find aftermarket filters made by both, but I'm pretty sure all OEM AC Delco filters are made by Delphi.

Champion also makes the OEM Motorcraft filters. But the aftermarket ones are made by Purolator.

I tore into a Motorcraft FL-1A on Wed. evening. The sucker had the string around the filter media. I don't remember other FL-1A's having "the string"....Which manufacturer is famous for "the string"?

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I tore into a Motorcraft FL-1A on Wed. evening. The sucker had the string around the filter media. I don't remember other FL-1A's having "the string"....Which manufacturer is famous for "the string"?

Fram and Purolator both use "the string" on certain filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back