Winter Air in Tires,?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've been topping off with air from a compressor that doesn't get drained, like the cheap gas station coin-operated ones, then you might have some excess moisture in your tires in the form of liquid water, particularly if it was using high humidity air from hazy summer days. Removing that air, and refilling with the more dry air on a clear fall day could help clear out the water....

Perhaps what you've "read" was confusing temperature with humidity...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, I've heard some had good luck with it. Alternatively, just dismount the tires and stuff a few Bounce clothes drying sheets in there.

And if you cram enough in there, you could get run-flat protection, too.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Or maybe the OP was referring to an autumn scented air freshener like Pumpkin Spice.

Sorry, Donald. Little Trees has discontinued that scent.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Actually, per volume, they are the same price. Winter air has more density than summer air, (the reason you can see it when you breath as air particles are floating in chunks rather than spots - hence the expression of "blowing chunks").

You see it because of the temperature difference of your breath vs the outside air.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
If you've been topping off with air from a compressor that doesn't get drained, like the cheap gas station coin-operated ones, then you might have some excess moisture in your tires in the form of liquid water, particularly if it was using high humidity air from hazy summer days. Removing that air, and refilling with the more dry air on a clear fall day could help clear out the water....

Perhaps what you've "read" was confusing temperature with humidity...

This is actually true and you're the first to post about it.

Winter air has a much lower absolute humidity to go with the lower relative humidity. Since the tire is a sealed system if you can manage to fill it (and your air tanks) on the coldest dryest day of the year, you won't suffer as much of the thermal expansion of water vapor. This is the premise of selling nitrogen at tire stores!

After I got done smiling at all the silliness... I tried to consider what little kernel of truth might have started the whole thing...

Those of you who have dismounted a tire and found liquid water know that this can happen, particularly with a slow leak that gets filled repeatedly, in a humid climate...

Last edited:
Wow! I was told to never let all the original factory air out of my tires. It had something to do with the secret rubber break-in additives they use at the factory.

Plus, still having the factory air in your tires makes the car much more valuable when it becomes an antique.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak

Originally Posted By: dparm
Are you referring to the nitrogen fill? That does have certain benefits.

Especially to the owner of the nitrogen equipment who's selling the service.
wink.gif
In fairness, I know that garages in the States are being nicer to customers who have nitrogen fill. Up here, they want to charge everyone when they need a top up. Apparently, this applies even in some cases where someone actually bought the tires there.

I know that some people are true believers in Nitrogen, and I understand the negligible benefits. However, I'm not a deeply religious man, but I do believe there are two things that God did not intend for me to have to buy, and that is air and water. Our atmosphere is already 78% Nitrogen, I'm not going to pay for the other 22%.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
After I got done smiling at all the silliness... I tried to consider what little kernel of truth might have started the whole thing...

Those of you who have dismounted a tire and found liquid water know that this can happen, particularly with a slow leak that gets filled repeatedly, in a humid climate...

You don't even have to dismount a tire... just drain the bottom of your compressor tank and check out all the water inside!

Originally Posted By: Garak

Originally Posted By: Donald
Or maybe the OP was referring to an autumn scented air freshener like Pumpkin Spice.

Sorry, Donald. Little Trees has discontinued that scent.

But Tree Rack and Discount Tree still has them last I checked.

I leave the warm, summer air in during the cold months because it's nice to have a place to warm my hands.

The bigger your tires are the more you appreciate this.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
But Tree Rack and Discount Tree still has them last I checked.

You had better order them all, then! How else can you keep your tire innards fresh?

Since this post is obvious trollism
or perhaps at a stretch ... humor

can it be moved to the humorous section of the forum

lest people visiting the site think there are more than 3 unnamed village idiots who post here
wink.gif

Cheers,

I don't rotate my tires (I mean how stupid, they do that every time you drive!), but I make sure to drain and fill my tires with each oil change - gotta get that old used air out of there. Makes my tires last so much longer. And magically my timing belts can now go 140k between changes! Win, win, win!!!

The one thing that may be sensible is that if you live in a place where the air is much dryer in the winter than summer, you may prevent some formation of moisture (and the resultant corrosion) by filling with cold, dry winter air.

Still the premise of this thread is silly.

Originally Posted By: [censored
]I've read recently that with Winter coming that we should let out the warm summer air from our tires and put in cold Winter air into our tires... Is this true..??

The local place where I get my air doesn't speculate which air is the Summer air and which air is the Winter air...

Do you go to a special place to get your Winter air for your tires or do you risk keeping the warm Summer air in your tires even in the cold Winter months..??

Also , does the colder Winter air cost more than the warmer Summer air for tires..?

You're really overthinking this. Just get a set of winter tires and fill them with the winter air and leave the summer air in the other tires. You'll never have to worry about chaning air for seasons again!
wink.gif

Again, I think it's funny that your user name is censored. I've never heard of a [censored] before you started posting, and would have never thought to come up with a name for such a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back