Does New Motor Oil That Is Now Old, Go Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased some Castrol GTX Heavy Duty 40 weight oil about 10-12 years ago when it was very cheap using most of it except for 6 quarts over time. This has been my oil of choice for my Sea Ray since its purchase 12/1984 but have not used the boat hardly for the last 6 years. It was fogged heavily and the motor spins freely. When it's fired up principally to warm the oil for change with filter, can I used this aged oil or should I buy newer?

I always hear 4-5 years shelf life.
Probably still work, but maybe not quite like it should.
Better buy new to be safe.

After I read river rat's reply, I realized that I have been using 5 year old plus oil in my 91 Buick Park Ave and 79 Chev Van for a long time. When oil was really cheap with rebates, I bought cases of any brand, in which a lot of it was less 50 cents a quart.

I had to drop the oil pan on the Buick when I had to replace the sensor button on the crank shaft timing gear 4 years ago, finding that the pan pristine clean: absolutely no residue and no wear of any parts that could be examined. The car has always used 1/2 to 2/3's of a quart between 4000 mile oil changes since new with 192,000 plus miles,now.

I have done hours of research on this since my post with the same consensus on synthetics:self life "is" 5 years.Regular oil based stock is well past 5 years if the container is not paper,has never been opened and has not been stored where it has been exposed to real low and real high temperatures. This stuff came from regular home mechanics,car shop mechanics,heavy truck-equipment mechanics,mechanics from branches of the military, airplane mechanics,etc.that regular oil has a long life.

But as always it comes down to what one is comfortable with.

I'm finding this forum very informative on many things.

I have some Valvoline 10W-40 in paper quart cans I'll sell you!
JK
lol.gif

I see no issues running it but be sure to check the bottom of a jug and see if any seperation has occured?

Also, newer oils I'm sure, as far as specs etc go, are probably a stronger more stout oil than older stock?
That is also something to consider imo.

Here's the official answer from Valvoline's website:

Does motor oil expire? How long does motor oil generally last?

Valvoline motor oil does not have a documented expiration date. Under optimal conditions, the product is stable for an extended period of time and can be used as long as the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating on the label continues to meet or exceed the requirements listed in your owner's manual. If the rating is still current, shake the container before use to blend any additives that may have settled.

Source: http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/general-motor-oil/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back