What 0W-20 for 2014 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up my 2014 Crosstrek about 12 days ago and at around 1200 miles already. Oil and filter change is 5.1 quarts....now I know why the auto chains carry the 5.1 jugs

Suggestions for oil and at what miles to dump the factory fill?

Amsoil and now.

Eddie, I can see we are on opposite ends of the factory fill change debate.
11.gif

Last edited:
Go with what the manual says for OCI...as far as what oil to use, pretty much any name brand SN 0w20 will work for you. PP 0w20 is a good readily available choice. Im running TGMO 0w20 (Toyotas 0w20) in the Accord now and its smooth and quiet.

I believe the OCI interval is 7500 miles, just wondering about initial change. I know some folks subscribe to the earlier the better mindset

My first Subie so not sure how early others have changed out factory fill

PS. Any ideas who makes Subarus Factory fill?

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I believe the OCI interval is 7500 miles, just wondering about initial change. I know some folks subscribe to the earlier the better mindset

My first Subie so not sure how early others have changed out factory fill

PS. Any ideas who makes Subarus Factory fill?

Idemitsu makes the factory fill for Subaru-it says it on the bottle. Use the genuine Subaru oil and oil filter and change at 3750 miles, not before, or go the full 7500. You can get a little better price by using Idemitsu 0w-20 full synthetic compared to the dealer priced Subaru oil.

We have a Subaru Outback with 2.5 and changed the oil to Walmart source M1 0W-20 AFE @ 3000 and 7500 mi. The engine was a little quieter than with the Subaru oil. We used OEM filters from the dealer. I prefer to change the oil a little early when new on the off chance there are some wear metals in the oil. It's difficult to keep drive the 2.5 gently with the CVT, it's always roaring to 4-5K RPM even under modest acceleration.

Any of the major brand 0w-20 oils are good. Just pick the cheapest one. If the Subaru oil was more reasonable we'd use it.

Total oil change cost was $50 instead of $80 (!) the dealer wanted. Next oil change we are using PP since it is a little cheaper after rebate.

There is no benefit to changing the factory fill early IMO. Just change it whenever you normally would. The factory fill Idemitsu has a slightly more robust additive package than the dealer oil.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NO2
We have a Subaru Outback with 2.5 and changed the oil to Walmart source M1 0W-20 AFE @ 3000 and 7500 mi. The engine was a little quieter than with the Subaru oil. We used OEM filters from the dealer. I prefer to change the oil a little early when new on the off chance there are some wear metals in the oil. It's difficult to keep drive the 2.5 gently with the CVT, it's always roaring to 4-5K RPM even under modest acceleration.

Any of the major brand 0w-20 oils are good. Just pick the cheapest one. If the Subaru oil was more reasonable we'd use it.

Total oil change cost was $50 instead of $80 (!) the dealer wanted. Next oil change we are using PP since it is a little cheaper after rebate.

That's strange. My 2.5 with the CVT doesn't hit 4-5K unless I put my foot in it. I'm usually at 3K for what I'd call moderate acceleration. I do like that I can start out at right around 2100 RPM and it will slowly (within a 45-50 seconds) accelerate to 60 MPH.

I don't think I've come near 4k in 1200 miles so far..... Now can't say the same in the rental Chevy Spark a month ago lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back