Liqui Moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have researched for some time, but found very little info. I am looking for feedback for Liqui Moly 5W40. I have the chance to get 5L bottles at my local NAPA for $26 (their Leichtlauf High Tech oil), which is LL-01 for my BMW, or I could just go to Wally World for Mobil 1 0W40 for $25 for 5 quarts. I plan on changing oil around every 7,500 miles, so does it even make a difference on either oil? Or just go for the lowest price?

I do mostly suburban driving and make short trips around 5-10 miles, plus DD to work about 8 miles each way.

Thanks in advance for any input.

How much oil does your car hold? I say just buy what most closely matches your oil sump, so you have fewer partially full oil containers in your garage.

Originally Posted By: kjbock

I have researched for some time, but found very little info. I am looking for feedback for Liqui Moly 5W40. I have the chance to get 5L bottles at my local NAPA for $26 (their Leichtlauf High Tech oil), which is LL-01 for my BMW, or I could just go to Wally World for Mobil 1 0W40 for $25 for 5 quarts. I plan on changing oil around every 7,500 miles, so does it even make a difference on either oil? Or just go for the lowest price?

I do mostly suburban driving and make short trips around 5-10 miles, plus DD to work about 8 miles each way.

Thanks in advance for any input.

What kind of BMW?
My personal preference is Castrol 0W30. I switched to M1 now bcs now I live at 6,035ft, so flash point is lower.
But in your case, if it is LL-01, I would go with GC. I would pay $20 more for GC.

6.5L, which is roughly 6.9 quarts, so I have to buy two of either one.

I have a 128i, with the N52 engine. Where is the best place to buy GC? How about the new BC, 0W40?

I have a 128i, with the N52 engine. Where is the best place to buy GC? How about the new BC, 0W40?

AAP has the BC. Sometimes they will have a sale where you get 5 quarts or more of BC plus a premium filter at an amazing price when compared to buying some other 0w40 and a premium filter separately. I Paid $30 for 5quarts and a premium filter for my Mitsubishi.

That in mind, I don't know if the filters in this combo will fit a BMW N52.\

As for GC, Autozone has it, but I don't know if they have the occasional sale on it.

Autozone has GC and AAP has BC.
I am personally fan of GC bcs it is well known that it works. BC, i still need to see some UOA.
I swtiched to heavier oil now, so would not rule out BC, but staying with M1 until I see enough UOA.
Edit: autozone has GC on sale sometimes, as well as Pep Boys.
In spring I got 5qt in PB for $5 per quart.

Last edited:
I don't see any compelling reason to use the Liqui-Moly. It's more expensive and has less impressive specifications.

Liqui-moly brand oils are well respected in Germany and from what I've read the brand is very popular over there.
Since it's a German brand oil formulated for european(German) engines I don't see any reason not to use it.
I'm using the 0w-40 in my charger right now and thus far I like it.
However M1 0w-40 is a known great oil and a sure thing as far as quality,and the price is tough to beat.
I guess the only difference really is that 1 brand is a 5w-40 and the other a 0w-40. 5w-40 grades tend to shear less however I'm not sure that it will make much if any difference.
What are your winters like. If sub-zero temps are common then a 0w will be a bit better as far as start up is concerned but it cold weather isn't a concern then it's a toss up.
Try it out. Worst case scenario is you don't like it and run the M1 next time.
You may find a diamond in the rough. I don't know that many here have much experience with the liqui-moly brand of oil so if you decide to run it you'd have some experience that may benefit another member who may pose this same question.
Either way I think you're winning.

I would much rather run the Synthoil Energy, but sadly it is not LL-01. Specs are very similar to M1 0w40, but the HTHS is 3.6 (about 7% thinner).

You are correct about the oil filters, the specials never include a good filter for a BMW (Mann, Mahle, etc.).

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Liqui-moly brand oils are well respected in Germany and from what I've read the brand is very popular over there.
Since it's a German brand oil formulated for european(German) engines I don't see any reason not to use it.
I'm using the 0w-40 in my charger right now and thus far I like it.
However M1 0w-40 is a known great oil and a sure thing as far as quality,and the price is tough to beat.
I guess the only difference really is that 1 brand is a 5w-40 and the other a 0w-40. 5w-40 grades tend to shear less however I'm not sure that it will make much if any difference.
What are your winters like. If sub-zero temps are common then a 0w will be a bit better as far as start up is concerned but it cold weather isn't a concern then it's a toss up.
Try it out. Worst case scenario is you don't like it and run the M1 next time.
You may find a diamond in the rough. I don't know that many here have much experience with the liqui-moly brand of oil so if you decide to run it you'd have some experience that may benefit another member who may pose this same question.
Either way I think you're winning.

It doesn't get that cold here in NC in the winter, maybe down to 10F at night. Rarely ever sub-zero. I have the Liqui Moly in my engine now (oil chg down by an Indy), but have not had a UOA done yet. I might give it one more try, then switch to GC or M1, and see which one has the best UOA at the end of the day.

Synthoil High Tech is a completely PAO based lubricant, whilst Leichtlauf High Tech is Group III based.

I just got 2 5L jugs of Top Tec 4100 5W-40 to run in my GTI. I plan to do a UOA at 5K to see how it works out. Will be dumping the FF at 5K, which will probably be in December. I have the free maint, but it's more hassle to get it to the dealer than just changing it myself. You guys are certainly more knowledgeable about these numbers than I am.

Viscosity class : 5W-40
Viscosity at +40 °C : 85.0 mm²/s DIN 51562
Viscosity at +100 °C : 14.0 mm²/s DIN 51562
Viscosity index : 170 DIN ISO 2909
Flash point : 236 °C DIN ISO 2592
Pour point : -39 °C DIN ISO 3016
Ash, sulphate : 0.8 g/100 g DIN 51575
Base number : 7.4 mg KOH/g DIN ISO 3771
High temperature/
High shear viscosity : 3.5 m.Pa.s CEC CL-23

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Synthoil High Tech is a completely PAO based lubricant, whilst Leichtlauf High Tech is Group III based.

Yeah, the only problem though is the Synthoil is not LL-01, even though it is probably a better oil.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I just got 2 5L jugs of Top Tec 4100 5W-40 to run in my GTI. I plan to do a UOA at 5K to see how it works out. Will be dumping the FF at 5K, which will probably be in December. I have the free maint, but it's more hassle to get it to the dealer than just changing it myself. You guys are certainly more knowledgeable about these numbers than I am.

Viscosity class : 5W-40
Viscosity at +40 °C : 85.0 mm²/s DIN 51562
Viscosity at +100 °C : 14.0 mm²/s DIN 51562
Viscosity index : 170 DIN ISO 2909
Flash point : 236 °C DIN ISO 2592
Pour point : -39 °C DIN ISO 3016
Ash, sulphate : 0.8 g/100 g DIN 51575
Base number : 7.4 mg KOH/g DIN ISO 3771
High temperature/
High shear viscosity : 3.5 m.Pa.s CEC CL-23

With all that sulfur and ethanol in gas I woud stick to High-SAPS oil like M1, GC, BC, PU 5W40, or even this Luqi Moly 5W40 they are mentioning.
The reason why I am not big fan of LM is that I used it in Europe, before I moved to the US. All my cars were eating that oil compare to other oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Just use the M1 0w-40 and an OEM filter.

After thinking about it, you are right.

In NC, I would go with GC 0W30.
I lived in AL and CA, used that oil, never had issues, no burning etc. My wife is still in Ca for some time, and only GC goes in her Tiguan.
Although paper says that M1 should be better in winter, I think that 2.0T has much smoother cold start with GC (I tried it).
Only reason why I switched to M1 is the fact that I live now on much higher altitude where flash point goes down, and M1 has higher flesh point.
That being said, I think next oil change I am moving to either Amsoil or Redline.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

In NC, I would go with GC 0W30.
I lived in AL and CA, used that oil, never had issues, no burning etc. My wife is still in Ca for some time, and only GC goes in her Tiguan.
Although paper says that M1 should be better in winter, I think that 2.0T has much smoother cold start with GC (I tried it).
Only reason why I switched to M1 is the fact that I live now on much higher altitude where flash point goes down, and M1 has higher flesh point.
That being said, I think next oil change I am moving to either Amsoil or Redline.

The only problem with GC is that it costs about twice as much as M1. I think it is a good oil, but not twice as good as M1. Though I will end up trying both before deciding on one of the two, since I think they are probably two of the best oils for my BMW. I need to find a good special on the GC though before pulling the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back