Using an electric shaver to prevent ingrown hair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
The only fault I can find with the Panasonics is they don't work when plugged in. They only operate on battery power.

Probably a safety precaution. They don't want people jumping into the shower with it plugged in to the power outlet.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The only fault I can find with the Panasonics is they don't work when plugged in. They only operate on battery power.

Probably a safety precaution. They don't want people jumping into the shower with it plugged in to the power outlet.

I thought about that, but all other brands that I've had work when plugged in. Maybe Panasonic's been sued once and changed after that.

Haha, I just pictured some one grabbing an extension cord from the garage to reach over the curtain into the shower!

Last edited:
Update: shaved with my new Panasonic (got it as a b-day gift recently) electric for the first time this morning. While there was absolutely no drama, the shave wasn't as close as what I'm used to. Basically, my face right after the shave at 7 in the morning feels like what it would have been at 5 pm if I had shaved with a traditional shaver in the morning. I don't know if I'll be able to live with this, but I'll give it some more time before deciding.

If it's the first time that you've ever used an electric, give it at least a full week for the adjustment. Back when I first started, I had the same results but stuck with it and after 2 weeks I was getting a much better shave than day one. It's also a good idea to use the skin stretching techniques that are used when shaving with a blade. It will get closer on taught skin.

Did you use it dry or wet? Using it wet will always provide a closer shave than dry.

You are a patient person, the -one- time I tried an electric razor about 8 years ago I think I lasted three days maximum. That was not pretty.

If it's the first time that you've ever used an electric, give it at least a full week for the adjustment. Back when I first started, I had the same results but stuck with it and after 2 weeks I was getting a much better shave than day one. It's also a good idea to use the skin stretching techniques that are used when shaving with a blade.

Did you use it dry or wet? Using it wet will always provide a closer shave than dry.

I used it wet, but I did not stretch my face much. Maybe I'll try that.

This morning I wet shaved both with as well as against the grain. This resulted in a notably closer shave which I can live with.

Another newbie question: when wet shaving with an electric, are you supposed to rinse the shaver head after every pass or two, like with a manual shaver?

It's not necessary to rinse that often as the stubble falls through the cutter blades into the cavity inside of the shaver foil. I usually shave dry each morning and I wash and rinse the shaver head every time I have to charge it up, which is about every 6 days.

If I'd wet shave every day, I think I'd rinse it twice as often or every 3 days as the wet stubble will clump and stick to the blades more as it dries out.

Thanks. Regarding the cleaning, this is what Panasonic recommends. Is this basically what you do?

how_to_clean.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks. Regarding the cleaning, this is what Panasonic recommends. Is this basically what you do?

how_to_clean.jpg

Yes, that's essentially what I do to clean it. I brush out as much gunk as I can with the wimpy little brush that comes with it first. I leave the foil on while it's churning up the soap and stick it under the water with foil on, otherwise your mirror will be splattered with soapy water. My wife didn't like that the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back