2 year mark - 2007 Town and Country Touring-L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: JTK
Looks new! Plus you've got the latest and greatest of the 4th gen. All the bugs worked out.

Have you done an ATF change or two?

The transmission has never been touched, and it will stay that way until it dies. I'm not one to change ATF. My Dad never has... and my neighbor, who is a heavy equipment mechanic, doesn't change ATF in his vehicles either.

So, I guess it is an experiment in progress....

Well that makes completely no sense. What do those engineers know about the recommended change intervals anyway!!??
crazy2.gif

I own 5 of these Chrysler minivans in a family business and I change the ATF once a year with the recommended fluid. While I believe the transmission is durable, it's one where you want to keep the fluid clean. Good luck with your experiment.

The 41TE is not a durable transmission. LOL, it self destructs when the pin lets go.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: JTK
Looks new! Plus you've got the latest and greatest of the 4th gen. All the bugs worked out.

Have you done an ATF change or two?

The transmission has never been touched, and it will stay that way until it dies. I'm not one to change ATF. My Dad never has... and my neighbor, who is a heavy equipment mechanic, doesn't change ATF in his vehicles either.

So, I guess it is an experiment in progress....

Well that makes completely no sense. What do those engineers know about the recommended change intervals anyway!!??
crazy2.gif

I own 5 of these Chrysler minivans in a family business and I change the ATF once a year with the recommended fluid. While I believe the transmission is durable, it's one where you want to keep the fluid clean. Good luck with your experiment.

The 41TE is not a durable transmission. LOL, it self destructs when the pin lets go.

That hasn't been my experience with them, but to each their own, I guess. As long as you keep the fluid and filter fresh, they will last. Also, don't install a hitch on the back and expect it to tow something it wasn't designed for....that helps a bit too in the long-term reliability aspect. Anytime I'm looking to buy a minivan and see one with a hitch installed...i keep walking.

Everyone has their opinion on ATF changes. Of course you can run the unit until failure on the factory installed ATF. That's what the OEM and service sector want you to do. You could do the same with any fluid/lubricant if you really wanted to.

The 'That's what my Dad did with the ATs in his 1960-1970's vehicles' does not apply to today. It's apples/oranges.

Last edited:
Update:

Had to put a new battery in the T&C tonight... so add another $72 to the repair costs.
mad.gif
Bought an East Penn-Deka manufactured battery (rated at 850cca) with a 3 year free replacement, then an additional 4 year pro-rated warranty (7 years total) at the local farm supply store.

423372-20121005003123-blains-farm-and-fleet-7-year-platinum-automotive-battery_zpsbf5d2747.jpg

The old one battery completely failed in less than 48 hours. I drove it Wednesday afternoon, with no problems. This morning, I went out to leave in it.... nothing. It had a dome light for about 10 seconds, before it faded completely out.

Whatever it was, it was a quick and complete failure. I'm guessing an internal short inside of the battery. But considering it went from 2007 to 2013... I can't complain.

The factory battery when I had my Neon failed exactly the same way.
Had come back from a trip and driven the car all day. Stopped to get food, and was STONE COLD dead, 1 hour later. The engine wasn't even all the way cold when the battery died.

6 years is good, the battery I speak of lasted 11 months and 23,000KM.

Looks great, I like the whitewalls. It must use the same size as some Town Cars or Devilles.

I have seen a few vans from this generation with over 300K miles on them.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Looks great, I like the whitewalls. It must use the same size as some Town Cars or Devilles.

It doesn't, but it can. The van takes a 215/65R16, which is slightly narrower and very slightly taller than the 225/60R16 that the Town Car and DeVille use. They're essentially interchangeable, but the 225/60R16 is indeed a few tenths of an inch shorter, and in my opinion, the van needs even TALLER tires than it had to fill the wheel wells.

If we still owned our '07, I'd have tried 225/65R16s. But we traded it before I put a third set of tires on it.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I have seen a few vans from this generation with over 300K miles on them.

Yes, that is the Town Car/Deville/Park Avenue fitment.

Hokie is correct with his information above.

I went with the P225/60R16 so that I could get the Goodyear ComforTred Touring. I'd had this same tire on a '99 Park Avenue, and liked them *that* much.

I liked the tire, and I liked the look of the whitewall. I thought the selection for 215/65's stunk... so that's why I used what I used. I like the slightly lower profile look and the wider tire... especially with the running boards.

Hokie is right in stating that the 225/65 is probably the best tire for the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back