Looking for a compound miter saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the shed I'm about to start building, I'm going to want to buy a compound miter saw. Any suggestions? I'd like to stay under $200 if I can get something quality in that pricerange. Is it even worth looking for used, or just stick to a new unit? It won't be used often, I can tell you that. I see Harbor Frieght has a nice 10" one for $119. Worth even looking at?

I got mine from HF about five years ago and it's still going strong....have built several decks and trimmed out two houses with it. I don't see any difference in my work than one done with a "name brand" saw.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'd rent a good one before I bought a hoodbilly piece of garbage from Harbor Freight

Here we go. Whats wrong with it? Is the motor not strong enough? Is it assembled poorly, leading to uneven, un-repeatable cuts? Will it not last thru 1 shed build, and a few peices of trim here and there over the next few years?

Nice ninja-edit, btw.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
If it's going to be a one time deal, I'd go with the HF saw.

Aside from reliability.....

For one thing, accuracy is not essential for framing. Your beams/post can be off by 1/32 and it won't matter in the big picture. But when it comes to fine woodworking like cutting miters for picture frames, forget the HF saw. It's not a piece of machine for fine woodworking.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
If it's going to be a one time deal, I'd go with the HF saw.

Aside from reliability.....

For one thing, accuracy is not essential for framing. Your beams/post can be off by 1/32 and it won't matter in the big picture. But when it comes to fine woodworking like cutting miters for picture frames, forget the HF saw. It's not a piece of machine for fine woodworking.

Oh, I understand that. I'll be cutting pieces for the 8x12 shed I'm building, as well as some baseboards for my living room. I'm more of the measure 6 times, still cut 4 times kinda guy anyways
smile.gif

Get yourself a sliding miter saw. It allows you to cut larger pieces. I splurged and got a 12 inch sliding Dewalt when I wanted a new saw. It should last me 40 plus years.

I'm sure the HF saw will be ok. Just get yourself a better blade like a freud and you'll be all set.

Regards, JC.

Definitely worth looking at. I think they are on sale now for something in the eighties. I have had a Harbor Freight 12" sliding compound bevel for three or four years. Works fine. The 12" lets me make the occasional large cut.

Hitachi C10FCE2

No frills, good saw. I bought mine in mid 2008, and it has been a trooper.

If you regularly work with pieces wider than 8", a slider is a must as mentioned above.

I looked at the HF saws awhile back out of curiosity, and really was not impressed with the fit and finish on demo setups...sloppy. The included blades were not the best either.

Last edited:
Ya, I'm going to at least go to HF and look at their saws. If they feel solid and not like complete [censored], thats probably what I'll buy. I'm building a storage shed, and I have some baseboard to put down in my house. Not exactly precision work. I can't see myself using it for much else. Thanks everybody!

For construction (framing), the HF saw is good enough. There should
be coupon (go to a bookstore, check magazines for HF coupons) for
the 10" sliding for < $90.

If you want to do moulding (fine cabinetry), I'd get a better brand.

The problem for the HF could be the assembly, and IMO, it's more
in adjusting, staying in the setting, finish, ... you don't want
to get a tool that you hate yourself every time you use it. So
if it's one time, framing work, HF is fine.

The other option is get used, depending on where you are, browse
CL, -- I got a Makita 1013 for $125, with the original Makita
blade, the cut is shining and smooth; so if you are patient, 2nd
hand is the way.

Whatever you get, make sure you can easily set and cut at 90-deg,
and 45-deg (maybe some other settings) and make sure you like
the operation

The 10" Sliding saw from HF is on sale right now too for $97. With the 25% off coupon, make sit $73.48!! I think I'll be stopping by to get one tomorrow
laugh.gif

I know this isn't what you're looking for really, but many years ago I bought a factory reconditioned Dewalt 12" compound miter saw. I also bought the stand with the telescoping ends.
BEST money I've ever spent on a woodworking tool.
I've framed a house with it, swapped the blade and trimmed the exact same house. It's built a few decks, a front stoop and I'm about to buy another house and do it all again.
The factory rebuilt ones are half what the new ones cost.
I can't say enough about this saw when it comes to trim.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Get yourself a sliding miter saw. It allows you to cut larger pieces. I splurged and got a 12 inch sliding Dewalt when I wanted a new saw. It should last me 40 plus years.

I'm sure the HF saw will be ok. Just get yourself a better blade like a freud and you'll be all set.

Regards, JC.

First off what do you need a mitre saw for framing. It takes longer and requires more effort than just taking your square and saw to the lumber pile.
I see guys framing with those 12" saws and laugh. A 15 amp motor isn't enough to spin a 12" blade and cut through wet dimensional lumber.
I'm a journeyman carpenter with an inter-provincial ticket. I have built everything,from cabinets to pole barns,from timber frame to making my own mouldings and I'm the first person to buy the right tool for the job.
A chop saw has no business on a framing site.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Regards, JC.

First off what do you need a mitre saw for framing. It takes longer and requires more effort than just taking your square and saw to the lumber pile.
I see guys framing with those 12" saws and laugh. A 15 amp motor isn't enough to spin a 12" blade and cut through wet dimensional lumber.
I'm a journeyman carpenter with an inter-provincial ticket. I have built everything,from cabinets to pole barns,from timber frame to making my own mouldings and I'm the first person to buy the right tool for the job.

I was thinking much the same thing, bringing a large piece of wood to the chop saw is much harder than taking the power saw 'to' the wood.
Chop saws are great for repetitive, identicle cuts, or if you have the right blade in a good saw, fine accurate cuts (like your base boards)
But I see little use for them when framing.

I built a sun deck this summer, the only time I used the chop saw was for the railing spindles.

U
Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Regards, JC.

I was thinking much the same thing, bringing a large piece of wood to the chop saw is much harder than taking the power saw 'to' the wood.
Chop saws are great for repetitive, identicle cuts, or if you have the right blade in a good saw, fine accurate cuts (like your base boards)
But I see little use for them when framing.

I built a sun deck this summer, the only time I used the chop saw was for the railing spindles.

Exactly.

I'm an efficiency expert when it comes to building. I framed houses alone,for years and you learn really fast not to waste even 1 motion,or it's time and production lost.
So tell me how sensible it is to haul a heavy saw and stand to the lumber pile. Now you bend over to measure and mark the lumber.
Now you bend over to pick up the piece of wood,set it on the saw table,push it back and forth to align the blade to mark.
Then cut.
Now you take the piece,bend over and stack it awaiting loading to the floor.
Or
I take my circular saw to the pile. I mark the entire top layer of pieces. Grab my saw,cut them all in one motion,and 1 trigger pull,then stack all of them to await placement on the floor.
It's less work,less expended energy and less bending and standing motions.
And it's faster.
I've tried every single way of doing things which is why I've got a system.
I used to frame for 2 bucks a foot. If I didn't frame the house in 5 days I lost money.
It's amazing what you can do when you HAVEto get it done.

my craftsman 7 inch is about 4 years old and has built two 12x12 sheds on its original blade and a good 3 months outdoors neglected and rained on and still working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back