Castrol Edge Q&A Answers posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stocked up on GC a few years back at Autozone when it was SL rated.

Now that GC has been rebadged "Edge" it still has a SL rating from what I saw at Autozone recently. So is Edge GC still a Holy Grail oil here on bitog.com like it used to be be 3-4 years ago.....?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks.

Disappointed to see that all of our HT/HS questions went unanswered. All other oil manufacturers don't mind sharing this data. Why is it such a secret at BP?

Interesting. HTHS is available for the Edge w/ Titanium FST range we get here. None are lower than 3.6 though.

Originally Posted By: Crusader
I stocked up on GC a few years back at Autozone when it was SL rated.

Now that GC has been rebadged "Edge" it still has a SL rating from what I saw at Autozone recently. So is Edge GC still a Holy Grail oil here on bitog.com like it used to be be 3-4 years ago.....?

Not sure. I picked up some yesterday at Autozone and changed the oil today in my GTO. I haven't run it in a couple of years so I decided to give it another try. I finally blew through my Mobil 1 supply.

In AZ yesterday looking at the two Edge products trying to figure the diff and why Titanium cost $2 more and manager likened them to M1 and M1 Extended. He further stated that at a recent seminar he attended with "Castrol people" they stated that one was a 10K oil and other 15K. Although I didn't buy either he offered me either K&N or M1 filters instead of Bosch if I preferred. Sale is on thru Jan so I may go back and get a couple jugs.

When Edge gold bottle first showed up in stores here it was not the Titanium stuff they market now, but it did say on the bottle it could be used up to 15k miles for normal or non-severe service. I think it was Castrol's answer to Mobil 1 EP line of oils. Long ago they got rid of the 15k mile limit from the bottle for unknown reason. I cashed in on some rebates and got some of that original Edge for $2 or 3/qt. Never bought any more afterwards though. I have to get Castrol pretty cheap to use it in anything I own or service. I do keep some GC on hand though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tc1446
...he offered me either K&N or M1 filters instead of Bosch if I preferred.
Nothing to be gained... All three are made by Champion Labratories, and most likely have the same "guts" in them. Even their cheaper STP line would be just as good of a filter.

"Champion Labs",,, that rings a bell.
That's who makes the filters that my local Suzuki dealers used. They seemed to be good enough for the 3k oil changes that I adhere to. But I had no idea that they make filters for all those other companies. Cool!

But as for Castrol motor oil, , that's all I've used in any of my cars for the past 12+ years.
It has served me well. Dino=YES, Synth=NO.

Cheers Mates!
Old Timer
cool.gif

Just written to Castrol to find out what the difference is between the add packs of normal Edge 5/40 and Turbo Diesel Edge 5/40. The base stock looks the same, but for some odd reason Volvo and Castrol say use the normal one in my TDI. It might be related to the different Zinc levels, as the Diesel Edge is DPF approved, but that's only a guess.
The new Diesel version is much cheaper than the old 5/40 where I am for some odd reason and is even cheaper than LM Synthoil and M1 0/40.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Just written to Castrol to find out what the difference is between the add packs of normal Edge 5/40 and Turbo Diesel Edge 5/40. The base stock looks the same, but for some odd reason Volvo and Castrol say use the normal one in my TDI. It might be related to the different Zinc levels, as the Diesel Edge is DPF approved, but that's only a guess.
The new Diesel version is much cheaper than the old 5/40 where I am for some odd reason and is even cheaper than LM Synthoil and M1 0/40.

Just got the reply from Castrol and it is good news:

Dear Mr --
Thank you for your email
Absolutely no problem using the EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40 where the EDGE 5W-40 is recommended – they are both compatible
Kind regards
Andy Griffin
Automotive Lubricants - UK & Ireland
Lubricants - Advanced Technical Support

So next but one UOA results will be the Brits vs the Germans, with the Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech team against the best diesel team from Castrol. Volvo think the Castrol team will Edge out the LM one, but I have already rigged the result slightly against the Castrol boys by planning to change my dirty air filter.
Note: Castrol Edge TD is cheaper than the normal Edge and is on special from Fleabay.

Originally Posted By: montero1
So, is the "Syntec," or the "w/Titanium" the better oil?

Any idea which is the better product?

hi all,
Does anybody know if the Australian castrol edge titanium 5w30 is the same product as the USA's version?
I presume that the australian one is is manufactured locally and therefore suspect quality and specs maybe different.
Thanks, drew

Originally Posted By: drew2
hi all,
Does anybody know if the Australian castrol edge titanium 5w30 is the same product as the USA's version?
I presume that the australian one is is manufactured locally and therefore suspect quality and specs maybe different.
Thanks, drew

Welcome!

It's not the same, it's also not the same as what is sold in Europe. I would not be so cynical, its a good lube without the "environmental" whoohaa attached. It will say on the can where it is manufactured.

Thanks for your reply. I've been using the castrol edge titanium 5w30 in both my toyota 4.7L V8 landcruiser and toyota1.3L echo. Both vehicle books recommend 10w30, with 5w30 for cooler weather. I hope that the castrol edge titanium 5w30 will be ok for the australian summer, especially some of the hot 40°C+ locations I travel to.

I just had the German 0w30 put in and it seems to have a bit more torque than the G tech syn 5w30 I had in there, motor sounds the same. Wix filter/0w30 german syn Castrol.

Castrol Edge changed again? I went to Walmart and picked up the newest version of the 0W-40wt It was Made in Germany Edge with Titanium. Walmart had just finished putting up the new display. I went to three other Walmarts this weekend to pick up some 0w-40 and they were all out, I began to think this was just a temporary supply glitch. I guess they phased out the last version. You no longer have the choice between the regular and Titanium. The best part the price went down! I paid $21.00 and change for the 5qt Jug.

Originally Posted By: zmelli
Castrol Edge changed again?

Yes, the black bottle Edge now has Titanium in it. There have been a few threads on this in various forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back