2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not me, T6 shears fast, shifting suffers. Valvoline 10w40 4 cycle oil, 3.98 WM a quart works great for the price.

Yes, that's why more & more seem to do as well or better using convential Rotella 15w-40. I just put it into mine for the heckuvit. Can't beat the price.

But that Valvoline deal sounds really good as well. I'ld try a convential diesel oil first, see how it does & use a bike oil only if you have issues w/ a couple different diesel oils. My opinion...

John.

Edit: Of course you could try T5 Rotella which is 10w-30. Have a sample of that to analyse from this summer's usage.

Last edited:
The engine isn't considered high performance so any decent motor oil should be fine. Id run the 10w-40 especially in the summer. If your going to try a car motor oil, I would stay away from any motor oil with the energy conserving designation. They have no Zinc etc & there ep additives can cause clutch slipage.
The new formula of T6 is labeled that now. The old formulas of T6 & mobil red cap had good reviews but no longer availible.

Honda has good oil, you can save by buying a K&N filter vs Honda oil filters. Ive used the valvoline motorcycle oil & mainly run royalpurple or Amsoil cycle oil in the motors that have allot of mods.

That engine isn't considered high performance so any decent motor oil should be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
The owners manual says to use 10W30 oil.

Does it also need to be JASO MA? Since it's wet clutch, I'm guessing so. Anyway, I would think a 10w-40 would work just fine.

I don't think there are any 10/40 energy conserving oils. I could be wrong but I haven't seen any. I also use 15/40, love that weight and my VT1100-T runs good with it. I use Rotella(Walmart) or Delo(when on sale at Costco). Have 80k miles on my bike and I'm still on the original clutch.

ROD

I agree with the 15w40 recommendations.

M1 10w40 also comes to mind if you want to try synthetic.

But one of my favorite bike mixes is Valvoline Conventional VR1....I pour in equal parts of their 10w30 and their 20w50, which basically gives me a 15w40....and a very stout one.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

But one of my favorite bike mixes is Valvoline Conventional VR1....I pour in equal parts of their 10w30 and their 20w50, which basically gives me a 15w40....and a very stout one.

My favorite mix as well...either in Dino or Synthetic VR-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back