Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the older Hakka R has 12/32" tread depth when new. On my set of R2, I measured a tread depth of 11/32".

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Winter tyre season is coming, and Finnish car magazine "Tekniikan maailma" just published it's winter tyre test. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 was the best studless winter tyre in the test, Hakka R2 came second. Hakka 8 was best studded, but I guess they aren't sold in North America..................

The same test data is also now available online from NAF:

https://www.naf.no/forbrukertester/dekktester/vinterdekktest-2013/

The Hakka 8 will be available in north America in 2014/2015.

And there is also this independent winter test from Za Rulem than includes the Nokian R2 and the Michelin Xi3, but not the Blizzak WS70. These testers rated the R2 as #1, and the Xi3 as #2 overall.
http://www.zr.ru/content/articles/578188-zimnije_shiny_zimneje_vrema/

Some summary comments from the NAF test, (translated from Norwegian by Google):

Re: WS70
"On ice the brakes and accelerates tire better than the competition. The snow feels safe to drive and provides no surprises of any kind. The acceleration in snow could be better. The tire's weakness is primarily wet road, where it has long stopping distances. Bridgestone is a very low-noise tires."

Re: R2
"On snow and ice covered claims to the very top with short stopping distances and grip forward. It is first and foremost on wet pavement the tire loses some points compared to the competition. It slows the poor and lower lap times than most. On dry asphalt has the longest braking distance of all. Nokian get the best grade of noise."

Re:Xi3
"Braking on ice is the tire's weakness. On the snow, this is the best of the studless tires and it gets praised for very safe and predictable behavior of the test drivers. Also on wet asphalt, this is one of the best tires in the test. It is very stable direction, but noisy little more than the best competitors."

Originally Posted By: krzyss
It seems that Xi3 straddles the studless and performance winter category.

Krzys

I agree. I think it is the only studless ice&snow tire that has an H speed rating. It does surprisingly well on test track snow, even though the user reviews I have seen give it mixed reviews in deep snow. Some write that deep snow traction is fine, others write that it is mediocre.
21.gif

It would be nice to know what is reviewer reference point.
Something stays good until one tastes something better.

Krzys

Here is what one Xi3 owner at 1010 tires said:

"............Far far away from the best in deep snow traction ( 4-6 inch and more), feel like completely used tires even brand new. Just acceptable at best in these conditions. Own Michelin X-ice1, Yokohama IG20 and Continental Extreme Winter Contact and all was better in deep snow! ......................"

I remember reading more of those types of comments for the Xi2, and Michelin did make changes in the Xi3 to improve snow traction.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I noticed that the new Hakka R2 winter tires are out with a "Cryo Crystal" compound. The equate this compound to having diamond-like particles that can chew into ice. .............Does anyone have experience with these?.......

There is an early review here of the R2 from an owner:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1402051

I've got my set sitting in the basement waiting to go on the Jeep when the snow hits. Hopefully we get a good winter this year and I can get some good use out of them.

The Russian automotive magazine AutoReview has published their test results of 11 non-studded tires, including the Michelin Xi3 and Nokian R2, but not the Blizzak WS70. The Xi3 came in dead last on the 35mm slush planing test. Was surprised to see the R2 out perform the Xi3 on wet and dry braking, albeit by a small margin.

Use Google Translate to read a Genglish (i.e. Google English) version of Russian:

http://www.autoreview.ru/_archive/section/detail.php?ELEMENT_ID=132142&SECTION_ID=7441

why snowtires are amazing?
2012-12-31%2016.19.31.jpg

Sometimes we focus too much on which is the perfect superbest.
they are all so much ahead of all-seasons its shocking really.

I put the new (215/45R17) Nokian R2 tires on my Subaru Legacy today, and went for a short test drive (55 degF today). As expected, steering response is slow on dry pavement, and larger steering inputs are needed to get around a corner. The tire is XL load rated, and the ride is good but not plush. They create more exterior noise than my set of Michelin MXM4, but actually create a little less interior cabin noise, which was a pleasant surprise. On the freeway at 70mph, they had good directional stability, but I am disappointed that I am feeling vibrations in the steering wheel and chassis. Hopefully a Road Force adjustment on a Hunter GSP9700 will solve that.

Last edited:
Funny, I put the new (225/55/R16) Nokian Hakka R2 tires on my '92 Lexus SC400 today and noticed almost exactly what you did. Once I got up to speed I noticed that one of my tires wasn't balanced. I went back, they balanced it again and sent me on my way. After 2 trips back to the shop for new balancing, they gave up. The second time I went back, the manager said that he himself saw that the balancing machine zeroed out on revisit #1, but he'll do the balancing himself this time. 30 minutes later he came over and told me the tire is defective and he needs to get another one, something about the shape and the mold. Who knows, he could be blowing smoke, but this is a dedicated tire shop; therefore, it should be simple to balance a tire with their equipment. I go back on Monday. Hopefully not for 4 hours again. We will see.

^ Were your R2s manufactured in Russia or Finland? Mine came from Russia, which Nokian says is there most modern and advanced plant.

So, i got the tire swapped out today and now everything is perfect. Apparently, the problem with the first tire was that it just wasn't round. Wow. The manager said that he only sees that with a tire maybe 2 or three times per year. They were manufactured in new Russian plant. Of course, I don't know if the cause is; it could be anything. Bring on the snow!

fyi Continental ContiVikingContact 5

are continental extreme winter contact

and pirelli are now made in china?? ugh

it ranked 3rd

and it came out in 2008(there apparently)

I know I really liked mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
fyi Continental ContiVikingContact 5

are continental extreme winter contact…………...

clearly, they have the same tread design, but I believe that it is very likely that they differ "under the skin" in terms of rubber formulation and internal construction. It is no secret that manufacturers can and will "customize" tires for regional markets.

Originally Posted By: Boardy
So, i got the tire swapped out today and now everything is perfect. Apparently, the problem with the first tire was that it just wasn't round. Wow. The manager said that he only sees that with a tire maybe 2 or three times per year. They were manufactured in new Russian plant. Of course, I don't know if the cause is; it could be anything. Bring on the snow!

Same for me, except 2X. I took my car into the Subaru dealer this morning for a RoadForce match-mounting and balance on my set of Hakka R2s, and still have a vibration at 70mph. Subaru specs a max of 8kg road force, and two of my tires were beyond that spec. I paid a premium price for these tires, but did not get premium quality. Disappointed with Nokian quality control!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back