Dealer oil change pricing when 0W-20 is required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking of the pricing of oil changes even though I prefer to change oil at home. I was checking the prices out at a local Honda dealer while I was looking for parts specials, and found that right now they have a special on oil changes. $29.95 for a standard oil change, but $39.95 if 0W-20 is required. It's only a $5 discount off their normal prices.

http://www.hondaelcerrito.com/service-specials-1.aspx

That actually doesn't seem bad, and looks to be tied to the fact that newer vehicles come with a recommendation that 0W-20 is the preferred weight. However, if you want "full synthetic" for any other weight (probably 5W-30 or 10W-30 for an S2000), the price jumps up to $59.95.

Not quite sure what's up with the pricing. It may be that they want owners to bring the car in there for the proper weight rather than give up and go to a quick lube place that might just drop in 5W-20 because the owner balks at paying $70 for an oil change with 0W-20. I'm also not sure what they'd be using. I was thinking maybe the Honda-branded 0W-20, although the dealer is part of the Hendricks group which recently switched over to Valvoline. For the longest time this dealer had big Mobil motor oil signs in the service dept. They also have an "express oil change" setup closer to the street; the main service dept is at the back.

My guess is that they can just put in cheap, bulk conventional 5w-20. 0w-20 in its cheapest form is significantly more expensive than the cheapest 5w-20 you can get.

My guess is that it's all about what the market will bear.

If someone's car requires 0W-20, they may tolerate a slight increase over what everyone else gets, but there's no way they're paying double.

However, the guy who specifically wants synthetic knows he's going to pay more for it, so he's willing to fork over the extra dough.

JMO but when we started searching for a new car, I was surprised that so many cars were basically requiring a synthetic (based on the weight) or the specs/certification (in GM's case dexos1 basically meaning at least a blend). This is probably just ignorance on my part as the newest car we owned at that time was a 1999.

When I heard the prices our dealer wanted for a synthetic blend or synthetic oil change...
crazy2.gif

So I would guess that the pricing has to do with bringing people in that might balk at the $60 price tag, when they were getting the $20 or $30 special with their last car (or maybe even their other car).

I'm assuming the quick lube places just put in whatever tier you ask for (conventional, blend, etc.) but I have been sort of curious if I went into a local shop or quick lube for a change on the Cruze if they would tell me that I have to get a blend or synthetic change since that is what GM specs for the car.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My guess is that they can just put in cheap, bulk conventional 5w-20. 0w-20 in its cheapest form is significantly more expensive than the cheapest 5w-20 you can get.

That wasn't necessarily what I was getting at. The different in price to use something like Mobil 1, SynPower, or Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 is going to be anywhere from $20 to $30 more at most dealers, quick lubes, or general repair shops. That this dealer charges just $10 more for the only weight that pretty much calls for a "full synthetic" seems to be more of an incentive to get it done right than to gouge the customer. When I see the highway robbery pricing to use a "full synthetic" at most places, it seems to be more about maximizing revenue.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Here in NYC that 0-20 is always your special $$ Reason is the 0-20 is a blend. Full syn $75.

The place near me says "0-20 full synthetic cars". They don't specify what exactly the put in, but I'm assuming that means something like Mobil 1 AFE, Valvoline SynPower, or Honda full-synthetic.

I found another dealer that has a coupon special for 0W-20 at $60.

http://www.hondaoakland.com/specials/service.htm

The place closest to where I work has 0W-20 at $40 with a coupon. They don't say if it's Honda 0W-20 semi.

http://www.southbayhonda.com/honda-maintenance-express-lube-oil-filter-dealer-9258-sid-11290.html

Previously I could only find 0w-20 in synthetic but recently I've heard it is available in semi-syn. Either way I would expect an upcharge from the conventional oil.... that is, if I paid someone to change my oil!

To ARCOGraphite- I am using the industry's definition and labeling and pricing of "synthetic oil", not yours.

I think this answer is pretty close. If you've ever bought lubricants in bulk versus quart bottles, the price difference is substantial.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC

I think this answer is pretty close. If you've ever bought lubricants in bulk versus quart bottles, the price difference is substantial.

Depends on whether or not you can get a wholesale account from a distributor or can only get it via a retailer. O'Reilly's actually has 55 gallon drums for sale, but they're not that cheap. Prices are actually higher than I can find for 5 quart jugs at Walmart.

When I enter my zip code, I get the following prices for 55 gallon drums:

O'Reilly 5W-20: $829.99
Castrol GTX 5W-20: $1,099.99
Valvoline NextGen 5W-20: $959.99
Pennzoil 5W-20: $1,099.99

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Conventional+-+5W-20/N0428/C0162.oap

At those prices it's still $5/quart for Pennzoil or Castrol. I suspect that wholesale accounts might drop the price down to as little as $2/quart. For a place like Jiffy Lube which is owned by SOPUS, I'm thinking individual franchisees get really low prices.

Originally Posted By: Rand
honda is also the only manufacturer that has a semi-syn 0w20

Bingo. The bulk 0-20 from the Honda oil program is not much more than the 5-20.

IMO...NAPA also sells in bulk, their own oil, to it's retail clients. They also carry 0W-20. IMO...I'm sure most wholesale shops also sell blends of 0w-20 at a reasonable price per barrel.

Last edited:
I work at a shop. Our bulk Kendal semi synthetic oil changes are $29.95 in 5w30.
The Kendall full synthetic 0w20 is $46.95
We also sell amsoil oe 0w20 for $54.95

My Honda dealer charges $44.95 for the 0W-20 oil change up to 5 quarts and an A02 filter. They don't have a drop of HGMO on the premises, though. They use Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE for vehicles that need 0W-20, as they said that they can source the Mobil stuff for 30% less than the HGMO. Their bulk 5W-20 and 5W-30 is MS5K.

They carry all of the other Honda Genuine fluids.

That's hilarious, when I go to the auto parts store or Walmart, 10W-30, 5W-30, 5W-20, 0W-30, and 0W-20 are all the same price if buying from the same manufacturer (ex: Mobil 1).

I took my wife honda in for service 2weeks ago for service 2013 accord sport they charged 34.99$ for the 0w-20 oil. But there was a lady there giving the service advisor [censored] for the upcharge for 0w-20 and refuse to pay. She said her other honda's work well on regular oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back