FRAM filter for 05 Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have some cold temps up there no doubt, so I'd suggest the Tough Guard with it's silcone adbv.

Originally Posted By: stchman
IMO if you MUST use a Fram oil filter, use the Fram Ultra, otherwise use a Purolator.

What is wrong with an orange can ?

The Frams for an 05 Jetta TDI are either the CH8530 or CH9461, both of which are cartridges. So the Ultra, Tough Gard, and OCOD distinctions don't apply. I have looked at the CH8530 and every one I saw was marked "Made in China" and priced above the equivalent Mann and Mahle brand filters. I do not use Fram filters in my 03 TDI for that reason. However, I will say that the build quality visually appears comparable between the Chinese Fram and the German filters, FWIW.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
IMO if you MUST use a Fram oil filter, use the Fram Ultra, otherwise use a Purolator.

Oh ya mean the OCOD being overpriced and [censored] quality..

Only fram I'll ever use is a fram ultra

And you base this upon what?
Something you read here?
The truth is that the basic Fram is as good as other filters in it's price class, like the Purolator Classic.
If I could find a deal on Fram orange cans, I'd run them without hesitation.
I ran them for years with no issues.
Over the past few decades, I've had only three bad oil filters, one a Lee that had a concentricity problem and wouldn't seal against the base ('81 VW Vanagon), one of the same with a Purolator ('86 Civic) and one Purolator Classic (last summer) that apparently suffered some sort of base gasket failure and dribbled oil down its sides over a 5K OCI ('09 Forester).
I don't think that this was user error, since I've installed spin-ons beyond count over the years.
I never had a problem with any Fram and since I used Farms as a matter of preference for many years, I've probably used as many of them as I have of every other oil filter brand combined.
The only oil filers that scare me are e-cores. I've never bought one and don't plan to.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Originally Posted By: KevGuy

Oh ya mean the OCOD being overpriced and [censored] quality..

Only fram I'll ever use is a fram ultra

[censored] quality? Interesting. In your short time with us I've seen you post(and seem to believe sadly)just about every oil and filter myth and misconception that this site is trying to dispel with data and facts.
Just because you saw someone on YouTube pee on a ocod oesnt mean he had a clue either.
The only problem with the orange can is that more often than not its priced slightly higher than other filters considered in the same tier.
If there was a puro classic and an orange can on the shelf and the puro cost more I'd buy bought(the Canadian tire motomaster is rebadged fram) every time.
Both filters can easily attain an 8000-10000 mile interval and of the few I've dissected after that mileage none showed any sign of defect or failure.
I rack up miles fast though. I know the anti-drain back valve can dry out over time however 10000 miles is 4 months driving for me,so that issue doesn't get a chance to present itself.
I 100% agree about the ecore's and being a potential disaster waiting to happen however the fram hate of today comes from the same guys saying pennzoil will sludge up an engine.
I suggest perhaps actually researching so you can base a comment on knowledge,not brand loyalty or fairy tale.

Try using the search function. There is a thread where fram invited some bitog members to their factory based on their posts on their thoughts of fram quality. One of the invitees started a thread here posting what he saw while he was there. If you read that thread,and the member's opinion of fram after I'm sure you'd sing a different tune.
And if you are still singing the same tune at least you'd be commenting based on actual knowledge.
Just sayin'

That's fine. You have your opinion, I have mine.. I don't have blind brand loyalty.. I don't tend believe myths either.. I believe what I've seen with my own eyes.. I've seen more fram OCOD's cause start up noise due to a bad ADBV design than any other filter.

I used to believe the Pennzoil YB causing sludge issue.. I've gone back and changed my mind.

I can't bring myself to pay extra for a OCOD that has cardboard end caps, poor ADBV quality, and less filtering media. Compared to a Motorcraft or Pur classic.

Last edited:
Fram Orange cans are overpriced for what you get, but better than most of the iffy lube ecore or worse you can get.

Fram Tough Guards are superior filters in my book, they have a synthetic blend media with high efficiency and flow as well as the silicone ADBV which is desirable. As far as i am concerned the fiber endcaps are superior as they allow media to flex a little.

Fram Ultras are indisputably high quality, so i hope no one is bashing them.

Also this is coming from a non Fram user, so I'm not biased. People need to catch up with the times.

Originally Posted By: Striker
Is this a good filter to use on my 2005 Jetta TDI?

No. And not because I'm going to claim Fram is shoddy or anything like that - not even close. Go to your local Partsource. Take a look at the Fram for your application. More specifically, take a look at the price for that Fram.

Put the filter down, and walk ten feet to your left to the vast array of German Mann filters, which may be as much as 50% cheaper than the Fram or anything else available in Canada for your vehicle.

I wasn't aware your vehicle took a cartridge filter. The orange box Fram will be fine IMO if you can find it reasonably priced otherwise I'd do some price shopping. Napa Gold cartridge filters are very good quality and can often be had on sale at very competitive pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back