TPMS 2012 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is regarding the Accord in my signature. Tire pressures have been fine until yesterday morning (have had a cold snap here.) TPMS light came on upon starting car. After 30 miles into commute, light went off (guess tires heated up enough to build pressure.) Light did not turn on coming home last night.
This morning, light came on upon start and stayed on for my entire commute (65 miles.) When I left work, light came back on again. Stopped and checked/filled tires (pressures matched specs, but I pumped all 4 tires to 32 PSI) and the light is still on. The manual says that light should not be on if overfilled, but it also says nothing (that I can see) about resetting the light.
Moments like these makes me wish I would have kept the old Taurus. Anyone have any knoledge of the system on this car?

Can you confirm that when you first start the car the TPMS light comes on ans stays on without blinking? If so, confirm that your gauge is working by checking your pressures with another gauge.

The light has been on solid without blinking since this morning. When I added air this evening, I used the gauge on the pump and then double checked with my own personal gauge, 32.0 on the nose in all four tires.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
TPMS light came on upon starting car.

Is this the light that actually says "TPMS", or is this the light that looks like a cross-section of a tire with an exclamation mark in it?

The TPMS light on our '12 Accord came on in the mornings when the weather got cooler.
I inflated all four squishy Dunlops to 34 psi and the light went away and has stayed away, so there is apparently no need to reset it.
You may have either a bad valve stem transmitter or a dead battery.
Since inflating the tires to proper pressure doesn't make the light go away and your car is still under warranty, it might be time to make this the dealer's problem.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The TPMS light on our '12 Accord

There are TWO lights that are concerned with the tire-pressure system. Diagnosis depends on WHICH of the TWO lights has come on. See my other post, just before yours.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
TPMS light came on upon starting car.

Is this the light that actually says "TPMS", or is this the light that looks like a cross-section of a tire with an exclamation mark in it?

Cross section of tire w/!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The TPMS light on our '12 Accord came on in the mornings when the weather got cooler.
I inflated all four squishy Dunlops to 34 psi and the light went away and has stayed away, so there is apparently no need to reset it.
You may have either a bad valve stem transmitter or a dead battery.
Since inflating the tires to proper pressure doesn't make the light go away and your car is still under warranty, it might be time to make this the dealer's problem.

UPDATE: Started out this morning with light on (this is w/32PSI in tires.) After 5 miles, light went out. It is going in for its next OC to the dealer next week. Should it go on again, I will be making it the dealers problem. Thanks for the help everyone.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

Cross section of tire w/!

Then that's low pressure in one or more tires.

If there were something wrong with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System itself, then the light that says "TPMS" would illuminate instead.

If the light went out after 5 miles, then the system is now happy with your pressures. If it comes on again, check your pressures again; you may have a slow leak, such as from a nail in the tire.

Good luck. My Camry likes to flash the TPMS light for us, then turn it on solid--owners manual indicates that this behavior means a fault in the system. I told the dealership about it, but since no faults were stored, no issue found.

We just ignore the light. Only shows up on long trips anyhow. Sometimes it will come and go too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back