Expiration Date on Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up one liter of G 052 911 3H the recommended fluid for a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7t 6 speed transmission.

On the container it states that it expired in 2010. Does this make any technical sense that a transmission fluid would expire?

That's a new one to me. I've seen manufacture's dates on a bottle, but never an "Expiration" date.

ATF, regardless of make, should be good for almost forever if kept in a sealed bottle in a decent garage or warehouse.

Is it a "Best if sold by" or a true "Expiration" date?

+1
I've never seen an expiration date on a bottle of any kind of lube oil, including ATF.
You could try going back to the place you bought it from and asking for a discount, since it is well past the printed expiration date.
I'd use it myself without any concerns. There should be nothing in ATF that would expire on a calendar basis.

Originally Posted By: JC1
This is as logical as an expiry date on bottled water!

Regards, JC.

Actually, if I'm not mistake, the cheapo plastic used on water bottles and soda bottles does actually breath, to some extent. Soda wouldn't go flat otherwise. [Or so I'm told, I try to avoid the stuff, but I do know it's got "born on" dates and the like. Maybe it's a conspiracy.]

I'd think transmission oil bottles would be a different story though.

The one liter plastic bottle states:
"Genuine Parts".
"Transmission oil"
"Useable until: see at the top"
At the top is printed: "12/2010"

Originally Posted By: rfeir
The one liter plastic bottle states:
"Genuine Parts".
"Transmission oil"
"Useable until: see at the top"
At the top is printed: "12/2010"

That's the date it was filled on the bottling line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back