Nowadays, you might WANT steel wheels with covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like steel wheels *without* the covers. They look awesome!

Almost every new car is a donk with low profile tires and big rims. Which also hurts MPG.

Non-performance cars don't anything more than 15-16 inches.

Examples of tire sizes that are sufficient:
Subcompact/minicars (smart, spark, mirage, etc)
155/80-12, 185/70-13

next size up: Fiesta, 2, Sonic, Yaris, etc
185/70-13, 185/65-14

Compact (Cruze, Focus, Civic, etc)
185/65-14, 185/65-15, 195/60-15

Midsize:
195/60-15, 205/65-15, 205/55-16, 205/60-16

Originally Posted By: cchase
After spending Saturday looking at used cars, I'd have to say most people don't deserve alloy wheels anyway.

How hard is it to miss a curb, anyway?

Are you sure people are hitting curbs more often if they have alloys; or could it be that steelies more often have "fatter" rubber, so the sidewall is more apt to hit instead of the rim? I'm guessing people park using the braille method regardless of rim type, but that alloys get nicked more often due to the tire size.

Hate to say it, but as much as I like the alloys on mine I didn't keep up with cleaning them, and after this many years they are finally stained with brake dust. It's ok, they've gotten scratched up anyhow (tire changers mostly, although I had a mechanic clip something with one of them). That's another downside to alloys. You can always tell the people who never do tire rotations (and who are likely heavy brakers also).

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: cchase
After spending Saturday looking at used cars, I'd have to say most people don't deserve alloy wheels anyway.

How hard is it to miss a curb, anyway?

Are you sure people are hitting curbs more often if they have alloys; or could it be that steelies more often have "fatter" rubber, so the sidewall is more apt to hit instead of the rim? I'm guessing people park using the braille method regardless of rim type, but that alloys get nicked more often due to the tire size.

I was more thinking of, if I spent the money on alloy wheels that are substantially more expensive than wheel covers, I'd probably try to avoid driving by "braille".
wink.gif

If these are the 5 spoke GM steel wheels that I've been seeing so much of lately you wouldn't want them around here. They seem to bend very easily. Typically there's no point in getting new tires balanced on these wheels because by the time a set of tires is worn the wheels are all pretty well mangled.

In the land of potholes steel wheels with lots of rubber around them and in a reasonable size are the way to go.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
In the land of potholes steel wheels with lots of rubber around them and in a reasonable size are the way to go.

+1

Come on,man! The wheel material is not a factor in the different mpg #. Many other variables,as mentioned,above.

I prefer steel wheels - they hold up better in pot holes, don't have corrosion problems causing everlasting leaks, and when they start to rust, you can just repaint them.

My cars are a transportation device. I don't need fancy this and that.

I have been scouting the junkyards and CL for OE steel wheels. My TPMS sensors can be inserted in steel wheels pretty easily.

I think a set of silver or white steel wheels would look pretty awesome!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I prefer steel wheels - they hold up better in pot holes, don't have corrosion problems causing everlasting leaks, and when they start to rust, you can just repaint them.

My cars are a transportation device. I don't need fancy this and that.

I have been scouting the junkyards and CL for OE steel wheels. My TPMS sensors can be inserted in steel wheels pretty easily.

I think a set of silver or white steel wheels would look pretty awesome!

I like the painted idea....

I painted a set of steel wheels on my Cherokee white and it looked pretty awesome!

I just can't find any OE steel wheels for the Focus.

Originally Posted By: AVB
My mom has a Prius, she lost a wheel cover. It actually has alloy wheels with wheel covers. They are decent looking wheels, I figured they went with the alloys for weight savings and the covers for aerodynamics for max fuel economy.

You are exactly right. The Prius alloys weigh 6 lbs lighter than their steelie counter part. That's why I have stock steelies for the winter tires in winter months (when mpgs take a dive anyways (fuel, cold, road conditions) and those same Prius wheels for all the other months.

Almost any other time you +1 or +2 up from stock steelies you aren't saving any weight but gaining in contact patch. Here is a good comparo:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

I roll with steel wheels on my honda during winter months. Much cheaper to repair a bent steel wheel, then attempt a repair on 18inch alloy (replaced a badly bent one for $600).

I prefer steel wheels on a new car.

I just hate fussing with alloys, and worrying if you'll wake up with your wheels stolen.

Steel wheels and tires with a tall aspect ratio and wheel locks is probably the best anti-theft system for tires and wheels.

Steel wheels are tough, and you don't have to worry about banging them up.

I don't like owning a new car and nice wheels, it is very stressful.

Nothing is more fun than a 5 year old car and steel wheels.

I am looking at wheel covers for a Jeep Patriot. Will wheel covers work on steel rims that have fat weights attached to the outside edges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back