1993 Chevrolet Blazer running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Do you love me?

Love you like a car crash. Get a reality show. Really.

** 36500 views.

I love you all.

Do you love me?

I think you have severe attention deficit disorder.

You have been specifically warned that if you replace your O2 sensor BEFORE getting the timing fixed, you run the risk of ruining your new O2 sensor.

Despite that warning, you are proceeding with the O2 sensor replacement BEFORE getting the timing fixed.

I give up.

crazy.gif

Didn't think I would comment again but here goes...

O2 sensor: The new one you got - does it have a plug at the end or just a wire? If it has a plug that does not fit, do not cut it off and try to splice it. It will not work and then you won't be able to return it and STILL need another O2 sensor. Also, don't cut the original sensor before you get it out. Given your luck, you will be screwed when/if the new one doesn't fit.

Best method of attack is to unplug it and put an O2 sensor socket or box wrench on it. Try sizing the new O2 sensor to a box wrench/socket too. Won't help you if you have one tool to get the OLD one off and can't get the NEW one on.

Tools: Yes, the tool loan programs work like that. You 'purchase' the tool then return it and get a refund. It's like having a 100% security deposit.

Originally Posted By: cmorr
** 36500 views.

I love you all.

Do you love me?

Is that what's important to you !!

You know, someone who thinks that being loved by 36,500 random dudes is a good thing could probably make a lot of money in Nevada...maybe more in Japan.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Since you are trying to find good shops, call up HighBloom Auto in Nutley. It is a former Volvo dealer tech who opened his own shop. Call and ask if he will work on your Blazer, which I'm sure he will, and mention that you used to own a Vovlo (just leave out you destroyed it).

Officially my last post on this. Just checked the distance between Roselle and Nutley. 16 miles/30min.

I know you live a 30-45 min away from work too. Just take the day off/half day off call Nick. He would prob charge you at most $100 and you'd be done with this 600+post thread, not wasting gas, not having to worry about timing, and saving for the next repair. I don't get why you want to gamble on whoever down the road.

Just so know, I have NO affiliation with this shop, but the founder is incredibly honest and will help you out. Good luck with everything, I'm out.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
** 36500 views.

I love you all.

Do you love me?

You have been specifically warned that if you replace your O2 sensor BEFORE getting the timing fixed, you run the risk of ruining your new O2 sensor.

Despite that warning, you are proceeding with the O2 sensor replacement BEFORE getting the timing fixed.

I give up.

crazy.gif

Well kudos to him for goig to get the sockets/tools and be proactive so hopefully he can do the change-out. I agree that timing should be done first, but the O2 sensor is a $30 part, it will not necessarily get ruined if used for a few days, and IF timing is nearly OK, may help prevent other issues.

Whats worse, driving another week with bad timing and no O2, or just driving a week with bad timing?

And if the truck is parked, then its done without any real issue anyway...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
** 36500 views.

I love you all.

Do you love me?

I give up.

crazy.gif

Well kudos to him for goig to get the sockets/tools and be proactive so hopefully he can do the change-out. I agree that timing should be done first, but the O2 sensor is a $30 part, it will not necessarily get ruined if used for a few days, and IF timing is nearly OK, may help prevent other issues.

Whats worse, driving another week with bad timing and no O2, or just driving a week with bad timing?

And if the truck is parked, then its done without any real issue anyway...

+1

I let it soak with PB Blaster. Man, that stuff STINKS! (Like,physically has a smell to it.)

As to the 02 sensor.. I wanted to start the process of getting this one easier to remove. Whether it is by me, or someone else (*mechanic at shop, the one that will time it..)

I was able to determine the coolant leak is from the bottom of the timing chain cover.
I was able to determine that the ATF leak may be a pan gasket.

It sure was a productive day under the car!

And yes, 02 sensor seems to be on very very very tight..

I saw "2" wires going into a pigtail type connector on it.

I really hope the RockAuto 02 sensor shows up today. Hopefully, it departed Kearny USPS and will come today! And not go to Jersey City first..

USPS tracking #: 9400110200847024598761

It is In Transit. Is in Elk Grove, IL right now.

Wow, shipped on the 11th, you're scheduled delivery date passed (10/15) and is travelling from NY to NJ via IL ???

May want to email RockAuto

Seems his O2 sensor found it's way back to NJ. The USPS is a joke, First Class Mail, NY to NJ, looks like it will be 11 calendar days if delivered on Monday

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9400110200847024598761

I REALLY hope it shows up today. I want to see if this is the right one or not!

Then, I can drive it down to shop for some timing on the new 02 sensor. Because, even if I still have high hydrocarbons. A trip or two cant kill it! - Right?

I am about to go to work, will know later! I have to wake up somehow.

I still don't see a need for PB blaster. If it won't come out with a wrench, bang on the other end with a hammer.

o2s come out of my beaters just fine.

PB blaster fumes burning off the manifold are gonna make you stupid.

Denso "first time fit" 02 sensor.

Looks like old still doesn't want to come off.

Let me venture over to the shop, to go visit Marcelo. no better time than now.

The waiting is killing me... What did Marcelo do? How much did he charge? Make a new buddy?

The waiting is killing me... What did Marcelo do? How much did he charge? Make a new buddy?

Heh. Yes.............

1) I got in at 6:05.

2) I told Marcelo about the truck's behavior. He diagnosed it as EGR valve. Cleaned it. Said "Drive 40-50 miles, tell me if the light comes on or off. Then you pay me." Well, it is still on.. Trick runs better and doesnt "diesel" anymore. No more whistle, more power. (PB Blaster on EGR.) But Code 44 remains..

And, strike-out: He "timed it by ear" (not touching it) and said "You'll never get the timing 100% exact. Sounds like you got it pretty close."

The 02 sensor.. i will wait a bit and see what I can do. Debating vs open-end crescent use (most likely) vs trying to find and disconnect sensor, to use box end.. and I still have PB..

I also cleaned out the throttle body.

3) T&E Auto Parts in Rahway/Linden border (?) --- I am going to check there tomorrow for a fan shroud donor truck. Marcelo told me about the place.

Marcelo may be a helpful guy, but Id still want it timed. Id go elsewhere to ensure that it is done. He may be good and low cost for doing other stuff (TBD), but Id hate for you to have the timing way far off.

Did he/you replace the EGR gasket?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1493472

Code 44 remaining would be sensible given that the O2 is likely not working. Given how cheap it is, Id just put it in, before you get it timed right, and see what it does for you.

Marcelo may be a helpful guy, but Id still want it timed. Id go elsewhere to ensure that it is done. He may be good and low cost for doing other stuff (TBD), but Id hate for you to have the timing way far off.

Did he/you replace the EGR gasket?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1493472

Yeah... I still need to go somewhere to have it TIMED.
wink.gif

As to the EGR, it wasn't replaced.. just cleaned with less PB Blaster than i would have used (I see the IACV in your post. Same tactic used to clean not replace one was used on EGR. I would have doused the pintle, not just gently squirted it) but I feel some improvement, no "run on" etc etc etc, more power.. just still code 44. No "exhaust whistling" and I still have tune-up parts as suspect... for the idle, etc...

And whatever was on the EGR was put back on, he had some real nifty 3/8" ratchet with extension (not too big) and some U-joints (?) and got it off only with removing some kind of 2-screw bracket. Pretty slick.

Funny, I also have the "slight shake at idle." I believe it can be dialed out... Feels like ONE cylinder is weak, in most unscientific terms possible. yes?

I really have to find somewhere that will actually TIME this thing.
frown.gif
Then let them do it while I wait.. as that is the second issue here.. I can't "drop it off"

So, yeah... Marcelo seems honest enough, and he cleaned the EGR pretty efficiently just unsure how well, but his opinion on engine timing is troubling.

The car he is working on now? Looks like he is taking the transmission out of a big Snap-On (ok maybe not Snap-On but) come kind of big box truck, based off some kind of full-size van or truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back