Canola Follow-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KeMBro2012

At this point, I have to ask; are you dense, or just trolling?

Oh the irony....

Originally Posted By: Trajan

Oh the irony....

crazy2.gif
lol.gif

Kembro, I will caution you that is not a good idea to launch personal attacks.

Last edited:
We've had this back-and-forth throughout all of my threads, where I'll provide information up-front and you'll carry on attacking my position as though I don't know any of what I've already posted (which I obviously do, since I posted it), at which point I'll reply to you to point out that yes, I am already aware of the information you are posting and, in fact, have already posted something to the same effect, myself.

I don't think it's an unreasonable question, given how you like to ignore entire portions of my posts in order to make posts of your own that seem engineered to make me look like an idiot, all while posting information that actually agrees with me; in fact, it really wasn't much of a question at all, given that you clearly know your stuff, you're not likely dense. Note that I'm not insinuating that you're a troll, either, just that you seem to enjoy trolling me, specifically. As for the personal attacks, I don't see you approaching other members threads the same way you approach mine, so I'm taking that personally; I apologize if you don't like the way I went about pointing that out, but it is what it is.

Originally Posted By: greenjp

Dumbest post in BITOG history

I'm honored. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: greenjp

Dumbest post in BITOG history

Actually, not as much as this:

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Pollute someone else's thread. Your opinion is worthless so don't bother wasting your time or mine.

But it's up there.

Last edited:
Hey now, I'm not devaluing anyone's opinion here, I'm just sick of the repeated implication that I haven't considered this or that piece of information, when I've clearly stated otherwise earlier in the thread. If that's not either deliberate ignorance or trolling, I'm not sure what else to call it and perhaps you should clue me in.

I've been trying not to outright ignore either you or MolaKule (or any other users, for that matter) since everyone says something useful at least once in a while (and MolaKule typically does... just not in my threads), but it's come down to either ignore the two of you or leave and, frankly, I like it here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Some of the uses canola has seen (military service -- and not for cooking -- and as a heavy machinery lube) are much more demanding than the inside of your typical engine. These are constant-use, minimal-maintenance scenarios, which seems to coincide with my experience; this oil seemed like it was gonna last dang near forever until I stopped using it for a while.

Maybe so, but I am pretty sure these are additized oils with special anti-oxidant packages, not virgin Canola oils.

It will be interesting to see your baseline VOA, UOA's, and observation on the visual properties of this mix.

I suspect what you are now seeing is a polymerization of the Canola oil mix.

And we are still interested in the results of your experiment.

What I think is happening here Kenbro, is that when myself, EdHakett, Solarent, Nate1979 and others ask questions or present information that you have not considered, or present information in which you have a preconceived bias against, you get defensive.

Last edited:
What's happening, relating to your posts specifically (I'm not having these issues with any other user in this thread, but you're ignoring that I named you, specifically, in order to reflect the blame onto me), is that you're stating arguments that I've already addressed previously as though I haven't considered them already, when I clearly have since I've already addresses them. I welcome any and all opinions and new data the problem is that I'm not getting either of those from you and you're just arguing points that I've already addressed.

As an example, how many times have I mentioned that I'm using Rotella T6 for this test? How many times have I explained why I chose that oil? How many times have you parroted the fact (which I've agreed with, repeatedly, mind you) that the use of any vegetable oil requires a beefier additive package with a higher quantity of antioxidants? We've covered that several times now: that very fact played a large role in my choosing Rotella T6 for this experiment; secondarily, I chose Rotella T6 because I was already running it when I decided to start the experiment, but I could just as well have delayed the experiment for one OCI had I settled on a different oil. You're welcome to poke and prod at any part of this that you want to, I actively encourage it, but can you please try a new angle once in a while, so the debate can actually be productive?

That you keep harping on the same point about antioxidants, though I've addressed it each and every time, is precisely why I accused you of trolling my threads. If you don't like that accusation, I'm asking, as I have been, that you stop the behavior. That's all I'm after here.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Sadly another interesting thread derailed and ruined.

Not quite. I still have over 800 miles left before I'm ready to dump this oil; I'll likely start a new thread for the results, anyway.

That you keep harping on the same point about antioxidants, though I've addressed it each and every time, is precisely why I accused you of trolling my threads. If you don't like that accusation, I'm asking, as I have been, that you stop the behavior. That's all I'm after here.

That doesnt change the validity of the question. You cite that T6 has a lot of antioxidant. When is it the right antioxidant for the specific chemistry in canola? Will it protect those ligands against radicalization and polymerization or oxidation?

Im not sure that this has been determined yet. Sure, your initial test may be telling, but just pointing to the fact that product x has y in it doesnt mean much.

When some of the most technically proficient folks on the site ask questions and reiterate them, I wouldnt call it trolling, rather an issue of whether the scientific basis of their query has been adequately addressed. There is a benefit to such peer review, like it or not.

When they ask a question, get an answer, then ask the question again, it gets old really quickly.

Is it the right antiox? That question has actually not been posed in this thread, but it will be answered by this test, and any subsequent testing I may do.

MolaKule has pointed out something that I should look a bit more closely at when analyzing my final results, and I am grateful for that; I've acknowledged his point several times and it doesn't need to be made again, by you, him, or anyone else. In the very same post you are replying to, I actively encouraged him (and anyone else who's interested) to point out any other issues I should look for, since I clearly am already aware of that particular one. I did this not only because repeating the same point over and over again after it has been acknowledged is annoying, but because it is counterproductive and holds back the conversation, preventing discussion of other points that may be just as, or more, important.

If anyone has anything else to say about antioxidants, oxidation, polymerization, or radicalization in this thread, all I ask is that it include some new information that hasn't already been discussed here. If anyone wants to point out something else I may have missed; something that hasn't already been addressed here; please, I welcome you to do so. If I just wanted to put my own thoughts out there, I'd start a blog; I'm here for debate, I'm here to learn, and I'me here to hopefully teach, but I also understand that repeating the same argument over and over is not debate and nobody learns anything from it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Sadly another interesting thread derailed and ruined.

Not quite. I still have over 800 miles left before I'm ready to dump this oil; I'll likely start a new thread for the results, anyway.

Please do, lots of interested readers here.

Oh wow! I actually forgot about this thread. Yes, I do have an update; I'm at work now, so I'll have to post it later.

The short version is: the car's still on the road, nothing blew up, and Blackstone offered me a free VOA for the canola blend, which I'll take them up on when my next OC comes around. e.g. I'll be doing this again.

Sadly, I was in a hurry when I did the OC, so no VC pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back