what are better choices of oil for a scooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1986 yamaha jog and a 1998 yamaha razz. Both like to smoke a bit. What would be a good choice of oil for these scooters. They are both 2 stroke and oil injected.
I was thinking yamalube , but that seems to be more of a tcw3 type oil. These scooters are air cooled and rev fairly high.

they do not have tachometers. I have read that they will max out from 4000-7000 rpm's.

Maxima and Amsoil make some stout 2 stroke oils, ran them in my 2 strokes back in the day and when I pulled them apart the internal looked great.

Amsoil has a couple different injector oils that you could choose from, their new multi-use injector oil, or their interceptor, which costs more.

I'm a scooter freak, and a 2-stroke engine owner, builder, and tuner.

There are a few oils I recommend for air cooled scooter engines....take your pick from these. I run 2-stroke air cooled scooter engines to around 18K RPM's and keep them at WOT for fairly long runs.

First of all, GET AWAY FROM YAMALUBE.

You want to use: Maxima K2, Torco, and Redline are my TOP choices. Motul makes a decent air cooled 2T oil as well. I'm not a fan of the Amsoil products for 2T's....but have ton of first hand tear down experience with Maxima K2, Torco, and Redline. So do my 2T friends.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with both Amsoil Dominator and Redline in my Kymco Super 9. It is air cooled and oil injected, too.

Chad,

Unhook oil injection. Run pre-mix all the time. Hide a small bottle of oil good for one gallon of gas incase of necessary fuel stop.

Here is the last Goped I built and raced. 18:1 compression. Methyl burner.

0-60 faster than anything....

GSR60_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Phishin

Here is the last Goped I built and raced. 18:1 compression. Methyl burner.

0-60 faster than anything....

GSR60_1.jpg

that looks pretty wicked for a standup scooter!

what size cc?
any idea on hp?
how fast is 0-60? (OMG 60!!! on that??? pretty insane!)
and what is the top speed?
and how much armor do you wear (stormtrooper suit?) to go that fast?

steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh

GSR60_1.jpg

that looks pretty wicked for a standup scooter!

what size cc?
The engine started off as Komatsu Zenoah 62cc. Then it received extensive head work, bottom end magic, and intake reeds.

any idea on hp?
Although never on a dyno, I was told by the engine builder and by the maker of the after market engine parts (Trevor Simpson), that this engine should put out close to 17HP on Methyl Alcohol.

how fast is 0-60? (OMG 60!!! on that??? pretty insane!)
The engine only has one gear....with a centrifugal clutch on the crankshaft, and a chain back to the rear sprocket. With it geared to max out at approximately 64MPH (where I typically had the gearing set at), I could hit 60MPH in about 4 seconds flat....if I could keep the front wheel down. This was feathering the throttle. If you could stay on it at WOT from a stand still (impossible to do), it would have hit 60 much faster than that.

and what is the top speed?
That depended on gearing. With that much power (17HP) and the scooter only weighing 22 pounds, top speed was only limited by gearing and how insane you were. I never had it faster than 70-72 MPH.

and how much armor do you wear (stormtrooper suit?) to go that fast?
Nothing crazy. Just full face helmet, leathers, and gloves with Kevlar sheets in the palms...most important.

steve [/quote]

Sunruh,

Yeah, it is a crazy machine.

17hp is right where a stock kx65 is at. wow that crazy!

so why dont you like yamalube? or was that yamalube S
and not yamalube R...i raced several seasons using yamalube R and the powervalves and all looked great. of course that was a decade ago and its makeup may have changed greatly (for the worse).

steve

WOW! Any videos of you on that scooter going 60 mph+??? I can't picture that for the life of me.

Originally Posted By: sunruh

so why dont you like yamalube? or was that yamalube S
and not yamalube R...i raced several seasons using yamalube R and the powervalves and all looked great. of course that was a decade ago and its makeup may have changed greatly (for the worse).

steve

I assumed that the OP was running Yamalube S, since these are old scooters. Maybe he is running R.

It's not that I don't like it, because I've never run it (R or S Yamalube). I'm only recommending oil that I personally have great experiences with....along with my 2T buddies.

There is a chance that Yamalube R 2T oil is just as good as Torco and the others I recommended. Just from what I've seen, a lot of "general" oils, like Yamalube S, cause deposits, which cause pre-detonation, which causing blown head gaskets, which causes lean running conditions, which causes the piston to seize. Unless you are de-carbonizing your engine frequently, or of course, tearing it down, I only recommend the oils I mentioned because they are "proven".

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
WOW! Any videos of you on that scooter going 60 mph+??? I can't picture that for the life of me.

Let me dig through my Photobucket account....it's not organized. I might have some. I sold this Goped back in 2005 or 2006 to a gent in California who bought it for his son. He called me the day he uncrated it and got it started...and yelled at me like I did something wrong. He said this scooter was "insane" and "no one should ever ride this thing". He even let his friend's son ride it, who races Moto-X, and he said it was out of control.

I agree. It surely was. I'll search tonight and see what I can find.

I currently have a Goped, that only goes about 45MPH. But the one in the pic above, is long gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back