So no Auto TRAK II equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Trailblazer transfer case specifies to use ONLY Auto Trak II fluid, which is what I drained out and refilled a few days ago. I've heard that Royal Purple's Synchro Max is ok to use, but all of the auto parts places and of course GM state there isn't one. Does anyone know if SynchroMax will work?

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
My Trailblazer transfer case specifies to use ONLY Auto Trak II fluid, which is what I drained out and refilled a few days ago. I've heard that Royal Purple's Synchro Max is ok to use, but all of the auto parts places and of course GM state there isn't one. Does anyone know if SynchroMax will work?

I don't know where you heard that but even RP says only use Autotrak II where called for. I asked them when I had my 2 Silverado's that used it and they said they offered no compatible fluid. Maybe that has changed recently but I haven't heard it. I have never seen any mfg offer a fluid that is compatible for replacement. Synchromax is good stuff but I wouldn't use ANYTHING but the GM fluid in your t-case.

Last edited:
I would never risk a $1500+ transfer case over a few bucks in fluid....

FWIW, O'Reilly sells authentic Auto-Trak II for like $8/quart... if you dont have a GM dealership nearby.

That's where I just got my Auto Trak fluid. I checked out RP's website and they list Symchromax as a recommended sub for Auto trak if im reading their chary right.

Run the GM AT-II and be done with it. It only needs to be changed every 50K miles, so it's not like this is a huge investment in lube....just a little over 2qts.

AutoTrack II and RP Synchromax do not have the same additive chemicals, so I would say they are NOT compatible.

That's where I just got my Auto Trak fluid. I checked out RP's website and they list Symchromax as a recommended sub for Auto trak if im reading their chary right.

That is new( well since I sold my last Silverado anyway ). I just looked and you are right they list it to replace ATII. As big an RP fan as I am I would NOT do it. I definitely would not do it if the vehicle is under warranty.

Synchromax is more expensive than ATII, so unless it's a better fluid I guess I will stick to the Smurf juice.

That's where I just got my Auto Trak fluid. I checked out RP's website and they list Symchromax as a recommended sub for Auto Trac if im reading their chary right.

Being vague about applications may not help a failed TC, as in RP's case.

Here is what is said in the RP Synchromax PDS:

Quote:
Synchromax is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or motor oil. It is also ideal for transfer cases and 2-cycle motorcycle
gear boxes.

Maybe for transfer cases that specify DexIII, but which transfer cases?

But here we are talking about a specially formulated fluid for the specific components in GM's TC.

RP Synchromax does not have the same formulation as AutoTrac II (ATII) regardless of what RP says about covering this application, so I would highly recommend you use the GM AutotracII and disregard the RP marketing.

What exactly is the ATII fluid? Is it a thinner ATF? Do we know?

The GM product is called "Auto-Trak II" Transfer Case Fluid with part number #12378508.

It is for GM vehicles with automatic transfer cases.

The kinematic viscosity is 7.3 cSt@100C, which is approx. the same viscosity as DexIII/Mercon fluids.

It contains special additives for the transfer mechanisms in automatic transfer cases, and RP Synchromax is NOT the same animal.

Last edited:
If your transfer case calls for AT-II, run it. If not, don't complain when your viscous coupler fails. Why run an alternative lube and run the risk of ruining a $800 coupler? Your truck and your money...............

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
That's where I just got my Auto Trak fluid. I checked out RP's website and they list Symchromax as a recommended sub for Auto Trac if im reading their chary right.

Being vague about applications may not help a failed TC, as in RP's case.

Here is what is said in the RP Synchromax PDS:

Quote:
Synchromax is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or motor oil. It is also ideal for transfer cases and 2-cycle motorcycle
gear boxes.

Maybe for transfer cases that specify DexIII, but which transfer cases?

But here we are talking about a specially formulated fluid for the specific components in GM's TC.

RP Synchromax does not have the same formulation as AutoTrac II (ATII) regardless of what RP says about covering this application, so I would highly recommend you use the GM AutotracII and disregard the RP marketing.

RP actually lists ATII among other GM fluids that the SM specifically replaces just as an FYI. Per usual the RP anti's only cherry pick info. If you could find the PDS you just as easily could have found the following trans fluid cross reference chart which has a link on the SM page where you found the PDS.

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/Transmission_Lubricant_Cross_Reference_Chart.pdf

All you have to do is scroll to the GM fluids and you will find where they specifically list SM as working with ATII. It is not "vague" as you characterize it. I expect no less though when RP is being discussed.

With the above said I still would NOT use SM to replace ATII as I posted earlier in this thread and especially so if a warranty is involved. If no warranty and the person wanted to try it though why not? There are a lot of multi use fluids used by BITOGER's with excellent results so why not SM to replace ATII if RP says it works? Do we not believe them just because it is RP?

RP has specifically listed it as being a replacement. Is saying product X will replace product Y just marketing or is it truth? IMO if a company puts themselves out there like that, in writing, they are liable if it is not compatible. RP would not say it was if it wasn't or they would risk being sued.

Quote:
[NHHEMI]

RP actually lists ATII among other GM fluids that the SM specifically replaces just as an FYI. Per usual the RP anti's only cherry pick info.

I formulate lubricants so what I am telling you is Auto-Trak II and RP Synchromesh are NOT COMPATIBLE due to their DIFFERING formulations.

RP Synchromesh is a good MTL for MT's that need a lubricant with a 7.5 cSt fluid.

I am not anti anything. I attempt to educate people on lubricants. I push no product, I sell no product on BITOG.

Sorry if you don't like the truth, but many others may appreciate straight facts.

Quote:
If you could find the PDS you just as easily could have found the following trans fluid cross reference chart which has a link on the SM page where you found the PDS.

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/Transmission_Lubricant_Cross_Reference_Chart.pdf

All you have to do is scroll to the GM fluids and you will find where they specifically list SM as working with ATII. It is not "vague" as you characterize it. I expect no less though when RP is being discussed.

I did see that and thank you but I am quite capable of chasing Internet links.

Apparently you did not read my post very well. I was pointing to the PDS which WAS vague as I clearly stated in my previous post. I saw the cross reference listing earlier but do not agree with it.

Quote:
[NHHEMI]With the above said I still would NOT use SM to replace ATII as I posted earlier in this thread and especially so if a warranty is involved.

Why not, it sounds as if you have complete confidence that Auto-Trak II and SM are one and the same, so with that confidence you would be forced to use it during the warranty period.

Quote:
[NHHEMI] If no warranty and the person wanted to try it though why not? There are a lot of multi use fluids used by BITOGER's with excellent results so why not SM to replace ATII if RP says it works? Do we not believe them just because it is RP?

Because I do not believe RP has it correct, and no one has shown me that the two fluids under discussion are compatible.

Quote:
The GM product is called "Auto-Trak II" Transfer Case Fluid with part number #12378508.

It is for GM vehicles with automatic transfer cases.

The kinematic viscosity is 7.3 cSt@100C, which is approx. the same viscosity as DexIII/Mercon fluids.

It contains special additives for the transfer mechanisms in automatic transfer cases, and RP Synchromax is NOT the same animal.

Quote:
[NHHEMI]RP has specifically listed it as being a replacement. Is saying product X will replace product Y just marketing or is it truth? IMO if a company puts themselves out there like that, in writing, they are liable if it is not compatible. RP would not say it was if it wasn't or they would risk being sued.

I am not going to get into legalities of risk etc., but I know that SM and Auto-Trak II are NOT chemically compatible.

Last edited:
Whatever dude. You definitely go out of your way to try and steer people away from RP products in general. You can say otherwise but I have seen your posts over the years and there is a definite anti pattern. I am a big RP fan and make no bones about it but I do not pressure people to use it either. I was very clear I would use the OEM fluid in this thread despite my fanboy status.

I would never try and say I know more about formulations than you. I do not. It isn't even close. However, I believe the people that made the fluid in question might know more than you about it. I simply stated the mfg of the fluid( RP )says it is compatible and if it wasn't they would be sued if a failure occurred using it to replace ATII.

I never said SM was a direct replacement for ATII as in the same exact fluid. It seems to be more of a case like a universal ATF working in multiple applications. I also advised staying with the GM ATII despite what RP says. HOWEVER, if there is no warranty to worry about and a person wants to try it RP says it replaces it. If it didn't they wouldn't say so. IMOA. Just because YOU don't know if it works does not mean it doesn't.

If you read the link I gave why cherry pick and only use a tiny portion from the PDS that is vague? It is so you can use it against RP. If you have no agenda why not give all the "facts"?

Facts are always good and people appreciate them for sure. In this case though you clearly do not have all the facts. You are going off assumptions. The mfg of the fluid says it replaces ATII. I will believe the fluid mfg in this case. I may not chose to use it myself to replace ATII but if RP says it does why would I not believe them?

Quote:
...If you read the link I gave why cherry pick and only use a tiny portion from the PDS that is vague? It is so you can use it against RP. If you have no agenda why not give all the "facts"?Facts are always good and people appreciate them for sure...In this case though you clearly do not have all the facts. You are going off assumptions. The mfg of the fluid says it replaces ATII. I will believe the fluid mfg in this case. I may not chose to use it myself to replace ATII but if RP says it does why would I not believe them?...

And what facts would those be?

Again, you didn't answer my question:

Quote:
Quote:
[NHHEMI]With the above said I still would NOT use SM to replace ATII as I posted earlier in this thread and especially so if a warranty is involved.

Why not, it sounds as if you have complete confidence that Auto-Trak II and SM are one and the same, so with that confidence you would be forced to use it during the warranty period.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
...If you read the link I gave why cherry pick and only use a tiny portion from the PDS that is vague? It is so you can use it against RP. If you have no agenda why not give all the "facts"?Facts are always good and people appreciate them for sure...In this case though you clearly do not have all the facts. You are going off assumptions. The mfg of the fluid says it replaces ATII. I will believe the fluid mfg in this case. I may not chose to use it myself to replace ATII but if RP says it does why would I not believe them?...

And what facts would those be?

Again, you didn't answer my question:

Quote:
Quote:

Facts = info you gleaned from and also left out that is on the fluid mfg's(RP) website. You cherry picked the vaguest info you could. There was specific/clear info given you conveniently left out. Info that invalidates your claim RP is vague about where SM can be used. They spell it out in clear and specific terms.

I NEVER SAID SM and ATII were the same fluid. I very clearly stated it was a situation like a multi use ATF that covers many different fluid spec's. NEVER said they were the same fluids. Not once. I have simply said the mfg of the fluid(RP) says it works in ATII applications and I do not believe they would say that if it didn't.

I wouldn't use it during warranty because it is not specifically ATII fluid. It is a multi use fluid RP says can replace ATII. That would not satisfy warranty "if" something happened( fluid related or not - never give a car mfg an out ). Even RP themselves will tell you not to use it during warranty( based on past experience with similar situations when I asked them ).

You seem to think( how it comes across anyway )that you can only use specific fluids and multi use fluids never work. I disagree with that. Here is an example. RP MaxATF is a multi use ATF that covers many ATF spec's including Chrysler ATF+4. While under warranty I would not use it because it is not JUST an ATF+4 and thus does not meet warranty requirements. However I have used it in an ATF+4 application, out of warranty, with excellent results. So MaxATF is not a specific ATF+4 fluid but it does work in place of it. Just not a good choice for warranty. RP says SM works in ATII applications so to me it is a similar type of situation.

I am not interested in a big pee'ing contest with you. I said the OP should stay with the OEM fluid. I just don't agree with some of your comments about RP and also that the fluid won't work. RP says it does and until I see people trying it and saying it doesn't I have no reason to doubt them.

The auto trak 2 is recommended for the transfer cases with a clutch pack (eg - np246) and has special friction modifiers to prevent the clutch from burning up. You should use the auto trak fluid for these units or you will hate yourself and want to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back