(FORD)Motorcraft FL-1A vs. FL400S Flow rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pablo, they are two different filters. The FL400s is used on some Mazda/Ford V6s and is skinnier than the FL1A. -Joe

Thanks - the photo in the BiTOG study does look much more slender than a FL-1A. I don't know why they chose this filter to study.

Do you know the insides to different construction or just proportionally smaller?

Also for the study, for example,they choose an Amsoil SDF-15 which is pretty much the same size as an FL-1A, not the FL400S.

I suggest sending them the filter you want tested. Let's see whether the media and core design give the same pressure drop.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Thanks - the photo in the BiTOG study does look much more slender than a FL-1A. I don't know why they chose this filter to study.

Do you know the insides to different construction or just proportionally smaller?

Also for the study, for example,they choose an Amsoil SDF-15 which is pretty much the same size as an FL-1A, not the FL400S.

Pablo, the reaon we went with this filter had to do with the thread size on the filter housing that Bob purchased. -Joe

Joe, when you get this thing up and going, you're going to be inundated with requests (and filters). Better get some kind of universal mount.

I agree, I'll personally send in a FL-1A for testing come time
smile.gif

The FL400S is the 'standard' filter for my '94 Taurus SHO - but I use the FL-1A instead (after seeing that test - I'm glad!).
I would be highly interested in the test results.

Folks,

The BiTOG OF tests gave the MotorcraftFL400S a crappy score. Bottom barrel results really.

Is the FL-1A the same? I mean I use these filters and for some reason always thought the flow was great. My analysis, pressure and start-up noise are great.

THe Fl-1A has a Pure 1 filter cartridge in a puralator premium case. They then paint it white and put motor crafts logo on them. If you like a Pure 1 filter media with a cheaper case adv and bypass system for $2 and some change then I would say it is a good deal. I normaly like to use Baldwin B2HPG which is the exact same filter that Amsoil sell under it's brand but you can get the B2HPG for $6 instead Amsoils $10. THe HPG part of the Baldwin designation means High Performance Glass Media. The B2 is the same size as Fl-1A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back