Mazda 0W-20 what do we know about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the 5w20 cant be a blend since that is what htey want used in the RX-8's and they have their dealers on notice to not use a full or synthetic blend in any RX-8.

SilTerhar Mazda in Broomfield, CO puts the MC 5w20 or 5w30 syn blends in the RX8s including mine. I also got an email from Mazda that said no to synthetic and blends but yes to 5w30. I double flush mine out FWIW.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Well the 5w20 cant be a blend since that is what htey want used in the RX-8's and they have their dealers on notice to not use a full or synthetic blend in any RX-8.

I've always wondered what the basis of that dino only recommendation was all about. Since this thread is about the Idemitsu made Mazda 0W-20 the following link to the superb Idemitsu made PAO/POE rotary oil for Mazdas is interesting:

http://www.idemitsu-usa.com/page_211.htm

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Negative, took front and back shots of both 5w20 and 5w30.

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_8707.jpg

IMG_7403.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

FWIW the majority of Mazda OE chemicals ship from Excelda out of Michigan.

That is a Conoco bottle.

JDD, in future just make sure you can still get the GF-4 SM version of the Mazda 0W-20 and not the GF-5 SN Idemitsu 0W-20 if Mazda ever switches to it. The moly has apparently been dropped from the reformulated SN oil and the VI is only 169.

So XOM brews the Toyota and Honda 0w20 synthetics?

Also the order of thickness is ?

1) M1 (thickest 0w20)
2) Honda
3) Toyota (thinnest 0w20)

Where is Mazda?

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
Mazda owners manuals recommend Castrol oils.

Yes, Mazda has a National oil program with Castrol and is being used at most dealers.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
So XOM brews the Toyota and Honda 0w20 synthetics?
Also the order of thickness is ?
1) M1 (thickest 0w20)
2) Honda
3) Toyota (thinnest 0w20)
Where is Mazda?

CoP makes the Honda oils for the US Honda/Acura dealers.

The Idemitsu made Mazda SM 0W-20 with it's 197 VI would be between Honda and the Toyota oil.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
JDD, in future just make sure you can still get the GF-4 SM version of the Mazda 0W-20 and not the GF-5 SN Idemitsu 0W-20 if Mazda ever switches to it. The moly has apparently been dropped from the reformulated SN oil and the VI is only 169.

Good tip on the SM---btw, just put it in the Mazda this past weekend. Never run a 0W-20 before in any vehicle.

My company uses Mazda 3 and Mazda 5. I took my 2012 Mazda 5 to a dealer in Scarborough for its first oil change as we have a contract with them for service. I asked the service manager where they get their oil from. He said Petro Canada. He states they use bulk Supreme Dino 5W20 in the 2011 and earlier models and PC synthetic 0W20 in the 2012 and up models. They purchase this 0W20 oil in bulk

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resour...mp;language=en.

When I asked him why, he said PC gave them the best price. The car turns over easily even on the days a few weeks ago when the temp dropped to -20 C and lower in the morning. But then, what else would anyone expect with a 0W20? EDITThey do sell the Mazda 0W20 in 1 liter bottles. He wasn't sure who made it though.

Last edited:
So the Mazda sm is the high moly/high viscosity index one and is the one we are after or which flavour and spec is that oil?

Thanks.
And is it worth tracking that down or aim for the tgmo?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So the Mazda sm is the high moly/high viscosity index one and is the one we are after or which flavour and spec is that oil?

Thanks.
And is it worth tracking that down or aim for the tgmo?

Clevy, I think the sn is the one with the high moly/ high vis. index, says high moly on the bottle. 0w/20, im pretty sure thats the one everyone is eyeballing..

Originally Posted By: pennzoil_guru
My company uses Mazda 3 and Mazda 5. I took my 2012 Mazda 5 to a dealer in Scarborough for its first oil change as we have a contract with them for service. I asked the service manager where they get their oil from. He said Petro Canada. He states they use bulk Supreme Dino 5W20 in the 2011 and earlier models and PC synthetic 0W20 in the 2012 and up models. They purchase this 0W20 oil in bulk

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resour...mp;language=en.

When I asked him why, he said PC gave them the best price. The car turns over easily even on the days a few weeks ago when the temp dropped to -20 C and lower in the morning. But then, what else would anyone expect with a 0W20? EDITThey do sell the Mazda 0W20 in 1 liter bottles. He wasn't sure who made it though.

Yes Mazda Canada sources their oil from Petro-Canada including their 0W-20.

It is only Mazda USA that gets their 0W-20 from Idemitsu including the most recent high moly version with it's 221 VI.
VOA is below:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2781625#Post2781625

I've been thinking this may be a good oil to use when my Honda's Milage Monitor (MM) tells me to change my factory oil. Honda states the factory oil is special break in oil, supposedly containing lots of moly. It has been recommended to leave the factory oil in as long as possible.

Because of my short drives with cold winter starts, it looked like the MM was going to have me change the factory oil a lot sooner then I expected. However, my driving is more normal now so it looks like the MM should be a little longer.

I kept the factory oil in my 2003 till almost 7k. I hoped to do the same or more with my 2013. I'm very tempted to try this new oil, especially should the MM have me change the factory oil with lower mileage then I hoped.

Originally Posted By: coolbird101
Clevy, I think the sn is the one with the high moly/ high vis. index, says high moly on the bottle. 0w/20, im pretty sure thats the one everyone is eyeballing..

It is the one that I am eyeballing. But when I attempted to purchase the SN Genuine Mazda 0W-20 GF-5 with Moly at local Mazda dealerships in the Portland, Oregon, area, I was greeted as a box-cutter-wielding bearded male terrorist at the boarding gate of a passenger flight.

At least around here, "Genuine Mazda 0W-20 GF-5 with Moly" is a swear word at a Mazda dealership.

I'm in!

I picked up 5 quarts of Mazda 0W-20 G5 SN With Molly (Part# 0000-G5-0W20-MQ) from a nearby Mazda dealer for $7.18/quart.

The Mazda oil was less then $11 more then a 5 quart M1 jug at Walmart. However, I like Pennzoil Platinum so the Mazda oil was about $13.50 more expensive then a WM'S Pennzoil Platinum jug I would have gotten. Not really that much more, especially when I look at this as a hobby.
smile.gif

http://www.lubritecinc.com/PDF/Group4.pdf

http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_article001891152.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Quote:
Idemitsu states that compared to high-viscosity grades of existing products, LINEALENE™ PAO brings many benefits as follows:

1)Outstanding low temperature fluidity and high viscosity index - LINEALENE™ PAO: Pour point: -40°C, Viscosity index: 210 (Existing products: Pour point: -30°C, Viscosity index: 170)

2)High oxidation stability and sustained, stable quality over a long period of time.

Does this mean the mazda 0w20 is Group IV?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back