Michelin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got new Michelin Primacy tires on my Sonata. I drove up and down my street very smooth and comfortable ride with them on a lot better than the Kumho tires I had on there.

I'm not the only one who believes that even though they cost more, Michelin tires are a better value when wear, comfort, traction, safety, ect. are factored.

Could not agree more! I believe you get what you pay for when it comes to tires! I just put primacys on my Jetta and it feels soooo much smoother.

We went from Kumhos to Michelin Primacy MXV4's and the difference was night and day better. Worth every penny.

I have Michelin Destiny on both my parents cars and we all agree, they are superb. Smooth, quiet, excellent snow traction, they are wearing like rocks etc.

Michelin Defenders will be the next tires I put on their cars, although I'm eager to see reviews of the new General Altimax RT43, at least for my car.

Yeah we're really happy with our primaries too. And many times the cost delta isnt huge...

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I have Michelin Destiny on both my parents cars and we all agree, they are superb. Smooth, quiet, excellent snow traction, they are wearing like rocks etc.

Michelin Defenders will be the next tires I put on their cars, although I'm eager to see reviews of the new General Altimax RT43, at least for my car.

Spoke with TireRack about the Defender vs RT43.

They replied that the Defender is quieter and has better treadwear. But other than that, they perform very similar in dry/wet. They also said that pretty much all General tires are the "best bang for buck" tire.

Last edited:
Yeah they might be better, but they're not $200 better than other name brand tires.

WHAT Kumho tires did you have on your Sonata? How many miles on the old tires? Did you buy this car new?

For example, their grand touring tire Primacy MXV4 vs the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum. The Korean tire is probably 90% as good as Bibendum's for 60% the price. It's what youget when you want the MXV4 but can't afford them. Kumho seems to be among the best value-to-dollar ratios, particularly with the LX Platinum and their Ecsta 4X performance tire.

Getting into the name brand premium tires is when the diminishing returns start. It is very likely that Dunlop, Goodyear, Yokohama, Hankook, and Bridgestone tires probably would be just as good.

One more thing to consider: Basically ALL OE tires are garbage, designed primarily to be cheap

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

One more thing to consider: Basically ALL OE tires are garbage, designed primarily to be cheap

smirk.gif

I this a US only phenomena as I have never noticed any difference between OE tyres on the vehicle when new and same make tyres bought retail.

And i grew up with a dad that would only ever put like for like tyres on a car!

He usually changed his cars every 3 years as he used them for work, but when the family went up to 2 card he kept a Peugeot 305 for 6 years and found they superceded the tyre he was using, he made sure he got the improved tyre fitted when the time came, he never went for a cheaper tyre.

Though i have heard thet French made Michelin tyres are regarded as superior to those made elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
I'm not the only one who believes that even though they cost more, Michelin tires are a better value when wear, comfort, traction, safety, ect. are factored.

On my old Buick Lesabre I had 70,000 miles on the Michelin tires and Im in a very HOT CLIMATE and they did start to dry rot, and I was getting the tires rotated and the guy tried to sell me new tires and like 5 years went by and they tires were still in great shape up till the day when I got into a car accident

Michelins are one of the best tires you can get.. Why you think they cost more.

I have had GOODYEAR tires that were gone in 1 or 2 years... I mean totally wore out , however they were cheap tires.

Right now I have Firestone Firehawks and they are holding up very well. However I rotate my tires with each Oil change

Yeah they might be better, but they're not $200 better than other name brand tires.

Definitely NOT on big heavy trucks. We buy multiple sets of E rated tires every year. We also buy a bunch of LT tires for our pickups as well. Easily MORE than double the life at a slight price premium.

Michelin LTX and now LTX MS2 blow the competition away on the heavy vans, easily going 60k miles plus, and on some of the Silverados the LT tires act like they just don't wear out! The mileage on our 9000+ pound vans is amazing when compared to any other brand, as I have tried them all.

Pilot Super Sports were an overwhelmingly better performer on my car, as my sixth set of tires (Toyo, Goodyear, Hankook, etc.) on a tire hungry platform they absolutely are the BEST tire ever on this car yet.

Plus the unique thing about Michelins compared to other brands is their performance doesn't 'fade' as the tire ages IMO. They keep their great stick right down to the wear bars...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Spoke with TireRack about the Defender vs RT43.

They replied that the Defender is quieter and has better treadwear. But other than that, they perform very similar in dry/wet. They also said that pretty much all General tires are the "best bang for buck" tire.

Excellent! I figured the Defender is a better tire, but I'm looking for something a bit cheaper on my Corolla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back