Quick tips on Toyota A240L atf type and quantitiy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Toyota's A240L 4-speed auto transmission which is hydraulically controlled. I have the TV cable adjusted according to the spec. and I see that the atf level on the dipstick is a little higher than F mark. color is nice pinkish no odor. What is the difference between Dexron II, IID and IIIH? without opening the pan and just unbolting the drain nut, how much atf should i pour?

How do you check the ATF ? With engine running of off ? Most ATF needed to check while engine running and the fluid temperature is at around 80-85C to have correct level. If the level of ATF is 2-3mm above full mark with engine running then it is okay.

You should measure the quantity of the ATF when you drain from the drain plug then pour in the same amount of new fluid. Usually you can only drain about 3-4 liters from the drain plug, so that you need to do drain and fill 3-4 times over several days or several weeks.

yes, i check atf on level surface when the engine at park and running- usually when i'm back home from work. I'd say the atf level is about 5mm above F mark.

A240L calls for Dexron II which is hard to find here. Dex III is available and i've seen some Dex IID and IIIH. Which one should I go for? Drain-n-fill amount for my box is 3.7L as shown in google search.

Forgot to answer your earlier question, but generally you should measure how much you drain out and put back the same amount. Since you are slightly over filled now it sounds like i would add a few ounces less than what comes out so you can come down on the stick that 5mm above full.

Even though it says 3.7L is going to be in there it could be vastly different in either direction, which is why its important to measure until you are familiar with your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back