Noisy Firestone Winterforce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I hated to do it this early, but I had to have my snows put on to pass state inspection on my 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5. One of the 4 factory Bridgestone Turdanzas is not quite measuring up (had been noisy for months).
frown.gif

The first shop I went to failed it, and the 'failure report' is recorded to the database. Wonderful right?

Anyway.. WOW are these snows noisy. Ride/handling are great, but the: Hmmmmmmmmmmm..!!! Hope they do well this winter.

At least you aren't driving around with a red sticker of shame and failure, raw gas shooting out the tailpipe, suspect ignition timing, and three gallons of moly in the sump.
lol.gif

LOL! Yes, I dread having to get yearly inspections done when the kids get a little older (more $$$$) and all I can drive is ghetto mobiles.

It's supposed to be real cold next week. So that should make you feel a little better. One more thing to cross of the "to do" list.

I have been using them for over 10 years on every type of vehicle you can imagine: '07 F-150 4x4, '07 Caravan, '10 Fusion, '84 Plymouth Gran Fury Police Pkg, several Crown Vics and Dodge Diplomats, '05 Escape, and on and on... On the vehicles equipped with 4x4, you won't need to engage 4x4 most of the time - just these tires will get you through. I really miss the old Firestone Town & Country snows with the deep agressive lugs. These are just as good even though the slogan Firestone used to use with the Town & Country "you go in the snow, or we pay the tow" isn't around anymore lol. One night while coming out of work to 12+ inches of snow I had the RWD Gran Fury with 4 Winterforces and coworkers on each side of my car had their 4x4 Explorers and we had all gotten plowed in. The Fury muscled through the deep snow and the Explorers with all season tires were both stuck! I usually get around three winters use out of them, swapping them on Nov 1st and off May 1st. Yes, they're a little noisy / hummy on the highway, but to be almost guaranteed to get going in the winter it's a tradeoff worth having IMO. I highly recommend these tires!

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
I have been using them for over 10 years on every type of vehicle you can imagine: '07 F-150 4x4, '07 Caravan, '10 Fusion, '84 Plymouth Gran Fury Police Pkg, several Crown Vics and Dodge Diplomats, '05 Escape, and on and on... On the vehicles equipped with 4x4, you won't need to engage 4x4 most of the time - just these tires will get you through. I really miss the old Firestone Town & Country snows with the deep agressive lugs. These are just as good even though the slogan Firestone used to use with the Town & Country "you go in the snow, or we pay the tow" isn't around anymore lol. One night while coming out of work to 12+ inches of snow I had the RWD Gran Fury with 4 Winterforces and coworkers on each side of my car had their 4x4 Explorers and we had all gotten plowed in. The Fury muscled through the deep snow and the Explorers with all season tires were both stuck! I usually get around three winters use out of them, swapping them on Nov 1st and off May 1st. Yes, they're a little noisy / hummy on the highway, but to be almost guaranteed to get going in the winter it's a tradeoff worth having IMO. I highly recommend these tires!

They are excellent in deep snow! Unfortunately, the set I bought for the Focus had bad belts and I just had to order two more.

Last winter after one of the snow storms I decided to go to one of the local malls. Someone in an AWD Fusion struggled and struggled to get in a spot.

Their eyes were huge as my Focus just walked right through the snow berm/bank up to the bumper to get in!

Got them on my FWD RAV4. This will be my 3rd year with them and they are great in Buffalo's snow. I routinely pass AWD RAV4 with them.

I don't recall them being noisy. Had a set of Michelin's ice/snow tires on my Camry years ago and they sounded like a siren.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Snow tires are just loud. Has to do with the tread design and rubber compound.

I hear you, but the Blizzak WS60's I used on our 2008 Odyssey were silent in comparison, in fact, those Blizzaks were quieter than the well worn Mastercraft all seasons we had on that van.

I'm guessing non-studible snows like Blizzaks tend to be quieter.

Figures.. I picked up a new looking set of Wintershwartz's for the new Grand Caravan too.

winterforce is a really loud old design that makes tons of noise.

for a traditional winter tire thats better in every way including noise choose general altimax arctic.

Originally Posted By: JTK

I hear you, but the Blizzak WS60's I used on our 2008 Odyssey were silent in comparison, in fact, those Blizzaks were quieter than the well worn Mastercraft all seasons we had on that van.

I'm guessing non-studible snows like Blizzaks tend to be quieter.

Figures.. I picked up a new looking set of Wintershwartz's for the new Grand Caravan too.

I had a set of WS-60s - they were silent. It's the tread design, though. They are designed very close to an all terrain truck tire.

It's the nature of winterforce, not studded tires. My parents have Nokian nordsman tires, studded, on their escape. The tires are nearly silent as well.

I had loud snow tires and quiet snow tires.

loud was the knobbie Firestone Winterforce tires

quiet was the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI
and a bunch of tires in between

I've also had loud all-seasons & summer tires...

Originally Posted By: Rand

for a traditional winter tire thats better in every way including noise choose general altimax arctic.

Funny you said this... after praising them above, I ordered in a new set of Winterforces for my car from the local Mom & Pop garage I deal with. My old set was on their 4th winter and while still having deep tread, it was time. A large snowfall was predicted for the following day. Long story short, a set of Altimax Arctic's was there waiting for me instead of Winterforces when I arrived in the morning, as the distributor dropped them off by mistake. They matched the price so I now have my first set of Altimax Arctic's and they ARE better in every way. I'm glad it worked out or I would've never known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back