Is Mazda's SkyActiv the best GDI system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to change the oil in my 2014 Mazda6. I am planning to do a UOA so we will see how the fuel dillution looks. I don't do too much highway driving, so it will be interesting to see how the 2.5 does. I remember a poster showing that his fuel dillution dropped dramatically when switching to higher octane fuel. I have noticed slightly better fuel economy running the engine on 93 octane. About 1.5 MPG better, consistently. Could be in my head, buy my daily drive is consistent and I track all my fill-ups on fuelly.com

Mazda has some conservative OCI's while under warranty (4000 miles or 5 miles with severe service)

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
Let's not forget about Ford's horrible recent reliability ratings. truedelta.com has listed a myriad of problems that the Ecoboost has. I think it's ironic that ever since Mazda became severed from Ford, the reliability of Ford has tanked. Ford is no longer using MZR derivatives which were very reliable but not very good in gas. MZR was a Mazda technology.

Let's also not forget the Taurus SHO vs the Infiniti G37. The Taurus did horribly for a turbo charged V6.

We have owned 3 different eboosters here, all were the 3.5. Two had a few issues, one suffered the intercooler condensation problem. They respond very well to a HEAVY foot, the only folks having the issues are easy drivers who don't open it up once in a while to clear its throat out. Not great on gas either but at nearly 400 hp I never expected much!

They are far from perfect vehicles, but I loved the response and power of the motor. IMO it is a great powertrain in search of the correct chassis!

Let's not forget about Ford's horrible recent reliability ratings. truedelta.com has listed a myriad of problems that the Ecoboost has. I think it's ironic that ever since Mazda became severed from Ford, the reliability of Ford has tanked. Ford is no longer using MZR derivatives which were very reliable but not very good in gas. MZR was a Mazda technology.

Let's also not forget the Taurus SHO vs the Infiniti G37. The Taurus did horribly for a turbo charged V6.

Let's not forget that the reason the Mazda DISI 2.3 turbo was never installed in a Ford vehicle is because it flunked Ford's powertrain durability tests.

How about that Mazda...oh that's right, they don't make a SHO competitor.

What does the SHO do "horribly" for a turbocharged V6?

How about those junk stock EcoBoost 3.5 internals?

600 all wheel HP with stock internals, I'm sure those Skyactiv rods and pistons would have done swimmingly at that power.

^^^Personally I cannot imagine ANYONE looking at a G37 and comparing it to a Taurus anyway! They are light years apart and that Ford is unbelievably heavy as most awd's are.

No offense to Ben99GT but it is extremely unlikely that the Ford Flex in the vid would have passed Ford's durability testing either!

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Let's not forget about Ford's horrible recent reliability ratings. truedelta.com has listed a myriad of problems that the Ecoboost has.

I wouldn't wipe my butt with truedelta.com. His "ratings" pretty much lump every little issue as a problem and that is the dumbest thing ever. A messed up trim piece is treated the same as a blown engine. It's not until relatively recently that he changed it up to actually somewhat reflect problem areas.

I'm no fan of Consumer Reports but I believe they don't have any issues with the quality of the Ecoboost engines.

Quote:
I think it's ironic that ever since Mazda became severed from Ford, the reliability of Ford has tanked.

Tanked? Really? Are you high?
d113c91c0a0d02b701d3ac6eb051e9f9.jpg

Ford is 3 problems per 100 vehicles less than Mazda. And it's been widely reported that Ford's "quality" issues are more to do with My Ford Touch rather than powertrain issues.

They both (Ford and Mazda) make fine cars. Neither one is leaps and bounds ahead of the others WRT quality.

Quote:

Link please. And it's apples to oranges. I've owned an 04 G35 and now the 10 SHO. The G was a better handling car (it better as it was a 4 door 350Z), had better brakes. But the SHO is the better cruiser - it's a boulevard cruiser that had great acceleration (will blow the doors off my old G, and it wasa 6MT), decent handling (for a porker), and is awesome for long trips. We do a lot of long trips and they are way more comfortable in the SHO than the G. I'd buy another G as it was a great car too.

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/7650130/the-general-forum/taurus-sho-vs-g37-s/page4.html

P.S truedelta.com doesn't rank each problem as if it was a blown motor. There's an actual pie graph of every vehicle that is compromised of various areas such as electrical, engine, suspension etc.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Let's not forget that the reason the Mazda DISI 2.3 turbo was never installed in a Ford vehicle is because it flunked Ford's powertrain durability tests.

How about that Mazda...oh that's right, they don't make a SHO competitor.

What does the SHO do "horribly" for a turbocharged V6?

How about those junk stock EcoBoost 3.5 internals?

600 all wheel HP with stock internals, I'm sure those Skyactiv rods and pistons would have done swimmingly at that power.

The Flex was a joke. The transmission was absolute junk.

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=265

I have absolutely no faith in any of the new Ford models. They're all riddled with mechanical issues and the mpg is sub par. I'd rather get the redundant Honda Civic with it's R18 motor that debuted in the US in 2006 instead of a Focus.

I love this:

You didn't interrupt anything. This thread was established by me to ascertain how SkyActiv stacks up against other GDI systems. It's nice to have opinions about other GDI technologies.

Really?

It would seem to me that this opening line:

I have yet to find any articles about carbon buildup issues in Mazda's SkyActiv system. I would think that Mazda's system would be near flawless because Mazda is relying on this technology to catapult it to profits now that Mazda divorced Ford.

Set the stage for your real agenda with this thread:

I have absolutely no faith in any of the new Ford models. They're all riddled with mechanical issues and the mpg is sub par. I'd rather get the redundant Honda Civic with it's R18 motor that debuted in the US in 2006 instead of a Focus.

Don't even get me started on Ford. The Ecoboost is called Ecoboast by some magazines. The CMAX Hybrid is an absolute joke. Ford tried to out do the Prius but the CMAX only gets 37mpg thats worse than the current Civic Hybrid that uses the outgoing IMA system!

You hate Ford, are glad Mazda are out on their own and you want us all to know just how awful you think Ford is and how Mazda is nothing but awesomesauce!
smirk.gif

ITT: popular brand fanboys get butthurt about some no-name little guy making their fave brand look like they're wasting their revenues on nothing.

Skyactiv vs ecoboost
Ecoboost's "Ti-VCT" What? Titanium VCT? Oh, "Twin Independant" I get it. Of course 'Twin' is capitalized, and 'independent' is not because that's honest and sensical, and not some cheap psychological subconscious reference to "Titanium" which is a pretty cool element. A Titanium something is better than a something made of other, low-brow alloys. LOL WHO WAS TALKING ABOUT HOKEY MARKETING? It's two hydraulic cam phasers.

Skyactiv Dual S-VT - Sequential Valve Timing uses a fast-acting electronic intake cam phaser, which is a more expensive part, but much more accurate and responsive. The exhaust phaser, not being latency-critical, is standard hydraulic.

Direct Injection system - Ford's a generation behind on old BOSCH equipment, Skyactiv DI and combustion metrics are better.

Quote:

skyactiv is marketing hype, nothing new, all old ideas

Sure, that's why everyone else is getting better fuel economy, even under-rating it and yielding a better driving experience at the same time. Wait. No that's not happening at all.

It is what it is, there's no reason to be upset guys. Don't be mad at Mazda because Ford lied to you about their fuel economy. They were totally "inspired" by Mazda's downsized, turbo-DI-4cyl approach, applying it to old engines and a good 5+ extra years of development notwithstanding are still not yielding better economy OR performance than newer aspirated engines with years of development ahead. I think even the older 2.3L DISI is getting better FE than Ecoboasts. What's up with that? Keep hatin'

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Yeah, let's see a Turbo, let alone Naturally Aspirated Mazda engine do anything like that on stock internals.
Oh here's one, a 2.0L engine that was never shipped with a turbo producing 500WHP on those same stock internals- and it was designed in the mid 80's.

Perspective of how much of a [censored] engine the 2.3L DISI is- if it was a V8, would displace 4.6L and produce 560ft/lbs of torque at 3000rpm on 15psi in the stock trim. If you know about engine design, you'd know that the higher the ft/lbs and the lower the RPM they occur at means the stronger of an engine one needs to actually produce it. If you disagree, then you simply don't know engine design.

So odd, that *suddenly* now there is an industry-wide move to the downsized DI-turbo approach, because they all think they can do it- seemed so easy to do it reliably and mass-marketed 8 years ago. Now? Not looking so good, guys. I don't think it's the answer you're looking for. Good luck with that real world FE, and long-term longevity. *shakes head*

Haters gonna hate
21.gif

Originally Posted By: jrustles

Haters gonna hate
21.gif

That's my point. This is a thread about Mazda's DI technology, yet many of the posts made by the OP are about how awful Ford is
21.gif
It would be a much better discussion to speak as to the merits and detractors of each manufacturer's approach (like discussing what you've just brought up for example) without the bashing, which gets people's backs up and then the GOOD discussion, where people might actually LEARN something, doesn't happen.

Will Mazda be bringing Skyactive to it's mini mini-van, the Mazda5?
I like this little vehicle but the MPG's are nothing to write home about (24 City-28 Highway with the 2.5 and M/T....if these numbers were 5 mpg higher this little van would be a winner, IMO.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Haters gonna hate
21.gif

That's my point. This is a thread about Mazda's DI technology, yet many of the posts made by the OP are about how awful Ford is
21.gif
It would be a much better discussion to speak as to the merits and detractors of each manufacturer's approach (like discussing what you've just brought up for example) without the bashing, which gets people's backs up and then the GOOD discussion, where people might actually LEARN something, doesn't happen.

Agreed, let's keep the mud slinging to a minimum.
I'll defend anyone if they're being unfairly bashed, even Ford. But it somehow always turns into a domestic vs import thing
smirk2.gif

Haters gonna hate
21.gif

21.gif

Agreed, let's keep the mud slinging to a minimum.
I'll defend anyone if they're being unfairly bashed, even Ford. But it somehow always turns into a domestic vs import thing
smirk2.gif

I agree.
Both Ford and Mazda have some good (even great) vehicles and some not so great vehicles. It's hard to dislike Ford who didn't take bailout money (and screw it's stockholders)...but that's a whole different debate.
I rented a 2012 Focus A/T and got close to 40 MPG highway without even trying so I'm not buying the whole "Ford is no good" nonsense.....I also have owned Mazda's and know they make a great car....

Quote:
^^^Personally I cannot imagine ANYONE looking at a G37 and comparing it to a Taurus anyway! They are light years apart and that Ford is unbelievably heavy as most awd's are.

I've owned both and they are different cars with different purposes. A more fair comparison would probably be the M45/50 vs the SHO.

The G35/7 is a 4 door 350Z and handles excellently. It was very precise and light on its feet with excellent brakes. I had the 6MT version and the clutch needed work and the 6MT was an OK trans but there were reports of early deaths.

The SHO is more of a sports cruiser. It will go great in a straight line, spoil you with luxury with a dash of performance. I can still have fun in the mountains and twisties and nailing it from a stoplight no matter wet or dry still leaves a smile on my face. It needs help in the braking department though. And yes the SHO Is a porker. No 2 ways about it - it weighs almost as much as an F150. She needs to visit Jenny Craig stat!

2 different cars serving very different purposes. Both are very good at what they were designed to be. Are they the best? Nope. Are they solid choices? Yup. Would I buy another G? Yep. Would I buy another SHO? Yup.

Quote:

Really? It can be tuned to hang with Corvettes. Stock with the Ecoboost 3.5 it will embarass many cars from the stop light.

And I wouldn't bash Ford Transmissions (the 6F is a fine mill), cause Mazda brought us these beauties: F4A-EL/F-4EAT and the CD4E. I personally have no issues with the CD4E - it's doing perfect at 138k in the wife's Escape.

Quote:
ITT: popular brand fanboys get butthurt about some no-name little guy making their fave brand look like they're wasting their revenues on nothing.

Nope, I think Mazda makes fine cars. Would have no issues owning one if it met my needs.

Quote:
Direct Injection system - Ford's a generation behind on old BOSCH equipment, Skyactiv DI and combustion metrics are better.

I would expect that since the Ecoboosts were designed in the early 2000's. I'd imagine the next version will be better as they will use more "up to date" technology.

Quote:
Yeah, let's see a Turbo, let alone Naturally Aspirated Mazda engine do anything like that on stock internals.
Oh here's one, a 2.0L engine that was never shipped with a turbo producing 500WHP on those same stock internals- and it was designed in the mid 80's.

Look up Turbo 2.3. Plenty of power from them and that design dates to the 70's for the Pinto. The Ford 2.3 OHC is one tough engine and it responds to mods quite well. I don't believe it was designed to be turbo'ed as early versions with the carbs were quite bad.

Quote:
So odd, that *suddenly* now there is an industry-wide move to the downsized DI-turbo approach, because they all think they can do it- seemed so easy to do it reliably and mass-marketed 8 years ago. Now? Not looking so good, guys. I don't think it's the answer you're looking for. Good luck with that real world FE, and long-term longevity. *shakes head*

I love ignorant comments like this. If it's built correctly (and all indications are that the small displacement/high HP engines are) there is no issues. Diesels last forever and use the "big bad turbochargers" and you have I6's in big rigs pumping out thousands of lb-ft for millions of miles. Done right it won't matter.

As I've said I like Mazda - have no issue with them. Is their stuff the best? Probably not but it looks to be very good. Is Ford's stuff the best? Nope. But it is very good and has proven itself.

I love this:

You didn't interrupt anything. This thread was established by me to ascertain how SkyActiv stacks up against other GDI systems. It's nice to have opinions about other GDI technologies.

Really?

It would seem to me that this opening line:

I have yet to find any articles about carbon buildup issues in Mazda's SkyActiv system. I would think that Mazda's system would be near flawless because Mazda is relying on this technology to catapult it to profits now that Mazda divorced Ford.

Set the stage for your real agenda with this thread:

Don't even get me started on Ford. The Ecoboost is called Ecoboast by some magazines. The CMAX Hybrid is an absolute joke. Ford tried to out do the Prius but the CMAX only gets 37mpg thats worse than the current Civic Hybrid that uses the outgoing IMA system!

You hate Ford, are glad Mazda are out on their own and you want us all to know just how awful you think Ford is and how Mazda is nothing but awesomesauce!
smirk.gif

Wow you make it seem as though I'm bashing Ford. Let's not forget that I've posted conclusive facts that the new Ford engines are unreliable. I have yet to come across a thread on other forums about a horrid SkyActiv experience. I once considered Ford the only American make that I would even consider, but now it's looking like GM is the better alternative since they are now using Opel technologies along with Daewoo. The Cruze has nothing but good reviews and it looks well made unlike the Focus.

Last edited:

Haters gonna hate
21.gif

21.gif

The Ford negativity stemmed from the initial mentioning that Mazda "divorced" Ford. Then the responses were that Ford got rid of Mazda, which I really have a hard time believing. Ford and Mazda have been in a collaboration since 1979. Now Ford is losing out because they can no longer use the MZR motor which albeit reliable but bad on mpg.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Will Mazda be bringing Skyactive to it's mini mini-van, the Mazda5?
I like this little vehicle but the MPG's are nothing to write home about (24 City-28 Highway with the 2.5 and M/T....if these numbers were 5 mpg higher this little van would be a winner, IMO.

Yes... There is already a SkyActiv Mazda 5 along with SkyActiv Mazda 2

http://www.mazda.co.jp/carlineup/?link_id=gc

Ford dropped Mazda after bailing out Mazda in 1996 swallowing up a third of the companies shares. Now they have a 3% stake in Mazda.

Originally Posted By: skyactive
Now Ford is losing out because they can no longer use the MZR motor which albeit reliable but bad on mpg.

Skyactive - it's all about Fuel Economy and CAFE, everyone is scrambling to increase their fleet CAFE averages with new technology.

A Titanium something is better than a something made of other, low-brow alloys. LOL WHO WAS TALKING ABOUT HOKEY MARKETING? It's two hydraulic cam phasers.[

Quote:
skyactiv is marketing hype, nothing new, all old ideas

Sure, that's why everyone else is getting better fuel economy, even under-rating it and yielding a better driving experience at the same time. Wait. No that's not happening at all.

Haters gonna hate
21.gif

Pulling one line out of context is misleading when used this way.

If you read my ENTIRE post you'll see I like Mazda, I simply do not see all this bright shiny new groundbreaking tech that you conjured up.

I still don't.

Mazda is to be congratulated for delivering a driver's experience in an economy oriented car, but they haven't done anything that qualifies for the hype. All they did was comprehensively tweak the entire car...

Wow you make it seem as though I'm bashing Ford. Let's not forget that I've posted conclusive facts that the new Ford engines are unreliable.

You posted no such thing. You posted some link from a dubious internet site that attempts to validate "quality". As much as I'm no fan of Consumers Reports at least their reliability data is somewhat useful.

There have been no reports of any of the Ecoboost engines being unreliable. There have been issues (F150 intercooler in the 11-12's) but they were fixed. The car based Ecoboost 3.5 (Flex, SHO, MKS) have no issues. The 1.6/2.0 have no issues as well outside of the recall.
Any time you make 2 million of something there will be problems. Even with Mazda.
Ecoboost has been around since 2009. The engines are racking up miles and few issues have been reported.

Me thinks you doth troll too much.

Ti-VCT...something inane about Titanium...It's two hydraulic cam phasers.

False. Ford is using cam torque actuated phasers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back