Mobil 1 High-mileage in a car with low miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any concern with using Mobil 1 High-mileage 5W-30 in a car with low miles? I use the High-mileage version in my Dodge RAM with around 100k. Both vehicles use the same weight oil so it would be convenient to just purchase the High-mileage version for both. Or conversely, is it foolish of me to be buying the High-mileage version for my truck?

I don't use a high-mileage oil in any vehicle , if you have done regular service why would you need it ?

I feel and really see no problems what so ever-->It's your money!
M1 HM has shown to have a pretty good additive package.

Question what are you calling low miles.

I started using M1 HM 5W-30 in my sons F150 at 47K miles. It's now at 185K and does not have one drip nor does it use any oil during our 8K mile OCI. At 100K miles we switched to M1 0W-40 and the 5.4L 3V idles and runs as good as it did the day we brought it home.

I wonder if there's any real benefit in early use of HM oils. If the seal conditions really work, I'd imagine that the seal conditioners will be able to keep various seals healthier for longer.

Of course the argument can be that, if you service the engine properly at the correct intervals, said seals will be replaced during regular maintenance, so to condition them for 100k miles before hand really wouldn't benefit much since it will be replaced long before it officially goes bad and starts leaking.

Originally Posted By: dparm
There's no harm on it. Typically they're just a bit heavier with extra seal conditioners.

And seal swellers which I would prefer not to have in my oil unless needed

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: dparm
There's no harm on it. Typically they're just a bit heavier with extra seal conditioners.

They don't claim to have that. Just conditioners.

I seem to recall seal swell ingredients used to be added to counter the hardening properties of PAO. However, I'm guessing most new seals are made of materials that tolerate a wide range of different oils.

M1 HM seems to be a fine oil. While the 5w/30 variety is a bit thicker and has a lower VI than regular M1, I doubt that matters in your climate.

One thing to consider: M1 HM is API "SL" rated and I'm guessing your Subaru calls for "SM" or later. As I understand it, M1 HM contains more phosphorous than SM allows, which is a good thing for protection but may be bad for catalytic converters. If your Subaru uses a meaningful amount of oil this could be an issue, I guess. Plus, if you have an extended warranty you should stick with the API rating specified.

A quick search your friend Google shows:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...ileage_Car.aspx

Originally Posted By: Brieninsac
Is there any concern with using Mobil 1 High-mileage 5W-30 in a car with low miles? I use the High-mileage version in my Dodge RAM with around 100k. Both vehicles use the same weight oil so it would be convenient to just purchase the High-mileage version for both. Or conversely, is it foolish of me to be buying the High-mileage version for my truck?

People always say this, but Mobil calls them "swellers" themselves:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Leaking_Seals.aspx

and

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/High_Mileage_Vehicles.aspx

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: Donald

They don't claim to have that. Just conditioners.

I seem to recall seal swell ingredients used to be added to counter the hardening properties of PAO.

My Dodge Grand Caravan has consumed oil since i purchased it new in 2005. It currently has 175k miles and has used synthetics since about 36k miles. My last oil change was with Mobil 1 HM. Usage was up to a full quart in the first 1200 miles. I topped it off. It has now been about 2000 miles and consumption has been nil.
That said, if you have a known issue, a HM oil might be helpful regardless of mileage. I would like to see someone else with a Grand Caravan with lower miles use this oil to see if it solves their consumption issue.

I wouldn`t do it. I used M1 HM for awhile. Switched to M1 15W50 next oil change,my car suddenly started leaking oil all over the place. Before I used the HM,I`d switch back and fourth between synth and dino with no problems,until I switched to the HM and then off of the HM,suddenly it`s leaking,and leaking pretty bad.

Fast forward to my past two oil changes,Syntec 5W50. First oci the leak slowed down significantly. Second (current oci of Syntec),oil leaks have completely stopped. Coincidence,or was I the victim of the *possibly* true once you use an HM oil,your gaskets may be adversely affected urban legend? One thing`s for sure,no more M1 HM oil for me.

Originally Posted By: otis24
My Dodge Grand Caravan has consumed oil since i purchased it new in 2005. It currently has 175k miles and has used synthetics since about 36k miles. My last oil change was with Mobil 1 HM. Usage was up to a full quart in the first 1200 miles. I topped it off. It has now been about 2000 miles and consumption has been nil.
That said, if you have a known issue, a HM oil might be helpful regardless of mileage. I would like to see someone else with a Grand Caravan with lower miles use this oil to see if it solves their consumption issue.

I'm curious as to what additive in Mobil 1's HM oil seemed to help your consumption...

My 2006 Scion tC with 110k miles on it has been BURNING any oil I tried at a rate of 1 quart per 3,000 miles easy. It doesn't leak anywhere, seeing as the entire engine bay is dry as a baby's bottom, after a diaper change.

Now, how in the world can a HM oil cure the consumption I'm experiencing with my engine? It's very obviously BURNING the oil due to piston ring design, as this is a very known problem with the 2AZ-FE blocks.

It your engine is burning oil, it probably won't help. My vehicle uses, or consumes some oil. Could be high temp vaporization or something to that effect. Differnt flashpoints or additives in the HM oil could help mitigate that. Just guessing.

It your engine is burning oil, it probably won't help. My vehicle uses, or consumes some oil. Could be high temp vaporization or something to that effect. Differnt flashpoints or additives in the HM oil could help mitigate that. Just guessing.

They primarily address leaking through marginal seals. Most are on the thick side of the allowed viscosity range. I understand they also typically go back one API service category which allows moe ZDDP.

MaxLife was the first that I remember. It didn't even carry the API donut. There was a lot of speculation as to why.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I wonder if there's any real benefit in early use of HM oils. If the seal conditions really work, I'd imagine that the seal conditioners will be able to keep various seals healthier for longer.

Of course the argument can be that, if you service the engine properly at the correct intervals, said seals will be replaced during regular maintenance, so to condition them for 100k miles before hand really wouldn't benefit much since it will be replaced long before it officially goes bad and starts leaking.

So replacing a front or rear main seal can be considered regular maintenance??? Maybe in your world but not in mine...

Most miss the point of HM oil is to prevent problems by keeping seals pliable, not a fix after the seal has dried or worn out...

Originally Posted By: Artem

I'm curious as to what additive in Mobil 1's HM oil seemed to help your consumption...

My 2006 Scion tC with 110k miles on it has been BURNING any oil I tried at a rate of 1 quart per 3,000 miles easy. It doesn't leak anywhere, seeing as the entire engine bay is dry as a baby's bottom, after a diaper change.

Now, how in the world can a HM oil cure the consumption I'm experiencing with my engine? It's very obviously BURNING the oil due to piston ring design, as this is a very known problem with the 2AZ-FE blocks.

I expect HM oils reduce consumption for three reasons: 1) they tend to be a bit thicker than non-HM oils, 2) have more cleaning agents than non-HM oils, which could free-up stuck rings in a neglected engine and 3) can reduce leaks, including valve stem leaks which wont leave evidence in the engine bay or garage floor. They won't do much to offset a design flaw, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back