BG MOA at every oil change - should I worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While looking receipts over I realized that dealer has used BG MOA at every oil change including at 1,000 km, which I don't even think Toyota calls for an oil change.

Most oil changes were done every 5,000 km until I bought the car (25,000 km) and then from 30k it's been every 10k (46k now).

I personally don't like additives and don't consider them necessary, but my opinion aside should I worry about this?

Thanks!

As a side note - get this: The dealer charges for the BG MOA according to the size of the scheduled service. eg. at the 5k service MOA is $10, at the 40k which is a major service you pay $30 for the MOA. It's included in the scheduled service package but not listed anywhere until you get the receipt and it's listed under materials. Talk bout taking advantage!

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
BG moa is great stuff. It's loaded with calcium, phosphorus, etc. keeps engine clean and keeps the oil from breaking down

At least BG would want you to believe this.

Originally Posted By: Lapithes
BG moa is great stuff. It's loaded with calcium, phosphorus, etc. keeps engine clean and keeps the oil from breaking down

There was actually a VOA on the BG MOA, it actually does have high levels of additives.

Originally Posted By: volk06
There was actually a VOA on the BG MOA, it actually does have high levels of additives.

That's true, but I was touching on the subject of making your oil not break down, and all the wondrous benefits touted by the company. I don't see why you would need to use this with a good brand name motor oil.

Wow a dealer using additives, and at every service no less.
36.gif

BG markets their products through dealers and mechanics, but you can also find it on eBay. I haven't seen any evidence that an engine with MOA lasts longer than one without, but if that evidence exists, I would like to take a look at it.

But they may not even be good if you are using quality oil.

Originally Posted By: Donald

But they may not even be good if you are using quality oil.

Too much of a good thing.

Quote:
As a side note - get this: The dealer charges for the BG MOA according to the size of the scheduled service. eg. at the 5k service MOA is $10, at the 40k which is a major service you pay $30 for the MOA. It's included in the scheduled service package but not listed anywhere until you get the receipt and it's listed under materials. Talk bout taking advantage!

The dealer is simply increasing his profit margin. Personally, I would refuse and state it in writing.

Have the dealer show you where the OEM requires the MOA or any additive for that matter.

From a dealers standpoint when it's sold for $9.99 the profit is only a little over $3. BG stands behind their products if used every 7500 miles or less with a $4000 engine protection warranty for the lifetime of the engine. It is a benefit to the customer even if it don't show an immediate benefit to the oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

The dealer is simply increasing his profit margin. Personally, I would refuse and state it in writing.

Have the dealer show you where the OEM requires the MOA or any additive for that matter.

I understand, and that's ok as long as they are straightforward about it. First time I serviced the car there (@ 40k. The 30k was done elsewhere) I asked for a list of everything that was done, they gave me a printout and there was no mention of MOA. Once I received the receipt I saw it and asked. They told me it's a material, like grease or brake cleaner, etc. To me this is dishonest, as well as changing the price of MOA according to the price of service.

Regarding BG's warranty, I'm in Nicaragua, I doubt they would honor here.

I used to work for a car manufacturer and dealt with dealers and know their tricks. At the end of the day it was the honest ones that had the most customers, made the most money and kept their doors open the longest.

Last edited:
Most likely BG hires a third party agency to handle their "Lifetime BG Protection Plan" claims, which specializes in finding any way possible to deny a claim.

Last edited:
Don't downgrade BG unless you've dealt with their warranty. We have and they do honor it

I never downgraded BG. I just stated something which is most likely true. If it bothers you, don't read my posts. All you have to do is click on my profile name, and you'll see the ignore option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Ford and Nissan/Infiniti in this city push the stuff, too. Of course, the manual prohibits additives, Infiniti Canada uses Mobil products as service fill (and XOM doesn't want additives either), yet they do it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Ford and Nissan/Infiniti in this city push the stuff, too. Of course, the manual prohibits additives, Infiniti Canada uses Mobil products as service fill (and XOM doesn't want additives either), yet they do it.

Kind of reminds me of how Jiffy Lube tries to upsell washer fluid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back