Tire shop put plug on shoulder by the sidewall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a slow tire leak in my Caravan with a brand new Michelin Defender tire. Took it to a tire shop and they said they found a small nail and repaired it but didnt mention where the repair was. Last week I was changing the oil and looked over and noticed a plug on the side of my left front tire right where the shoulder meets the sidewall. The tire still has 10/32 of tread left on it and I didnt buy road hazard protection. I have driven over 2000 miles of mostly highway driving and thie tire has not lost any air. 2 local tire shops say it needs replacement immediately, 2 others say as long as its holding air, just keep an eye on it. Im thinking it might be best to replace it, but if its lasted this long, should I rotate it to the rear and see how it goes?

I'd probably go ahead and replace it. $100 is miniscule compared to what may happen if it blows. Cheap insurance, your life and those around are worth much more than that. Probably a big old honking nail, I'm guessing. Post a picture if you can.

Last edited:
There are diagrams or pictures of where on a tire its acceptable to repair. I believe your repair is outside of that range.

The first tire place should have refused to repair it.

I will post a picture this evening when I get home, it was quite surprising to see a pretty reputable tire shop in town put a plug in this location.

http://www.rma.org/tire-safety/tire-repair/

tire-repair.jpg

Buy a new tire. Or, buy more life insurance. PM me for my contact info as the beneficiary of that life insurance.

Done that plenty of times....if your not driving it hard, don't worry about it. Get your money out of the tire....if it ain't leaking...drive on.

Drive it. Worst case scenario you lose air over sixty seconds.

Do you have TPMS?

If the Pilgrims worried this much about the Mayflower's equipment we'd all still be saluting the King of England...

I wouldn't go back to that shop. I just got a puncture in the exact same spot yesterday, and ended up replacing the tire. Consider it $94 worth of insurance. Belle Tire told me that while they COULD patch the hole, they would strongly recommend against doing so, since any patch failure would result in a blowout, instead of simply slow air loss; in other words, that patch could be lethal to you and other drivers. I didn't just take their word for it either. I already knew that this was the case, and that blowouts aren't fun. I took the new tire.

In my case, I also carry cargo at all times, so I'd be even less comfortable with a patch fix in a risky spot.

It needs to be replaced. I don't know how the law reads in IL regarding the plugging of the sidewall, but in most states that repair is flat-out illegal. Illegal for a very good reason.

Driving at 30 mph or less, in a straight line, you'd probably be OK. But driving that tire on the highway, through high speed curves with that shoulder flexing back and forth many times a second...you're just asking for trouble. To complete this little vignette, imagine your loved ones are in the vehicle, blissfully trusting your wisdom with car stuff, and then... Replace the tire already.

Remember, past success does not guarantee future results. You've been lucky driving on it up to now, don't push it.

The shop owner needs to return the money you paid for that "repair" and if that repair is indicative of his level of competence, and I can't see how it isn't, you'll just be inviting regret into your life.

Photograph that repair immediately, print out a photo, write down what occurred at the repair shop and put all that with the repair receipt, just in case.

If it was me I'd leave that tire on the front until you replace it.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Done that plenty of times....if your not driving it hard, don't worry about it. Get your money out of the tire....if it ain't leaking...drive on.

If you follow this advice, I would at least move the tire to the rear. I would much rather have a rear tire blow out than a front.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Do you have TPMS?

If the Pilgrims worried this much about the Mayflower's equipment we'd all still be saluting the King of England...

LOL.

+1

The "correct" thing to do is to replace the tire. That's not a manufacturer approved repair. But some of the claims being made here about the tire "blowing out" are being blown out of proportion.

I used to work at a shop that installed thousands of plugs. The most problem we ever had that I can remember were slow leaks on old plugs and those were quite rare. But we generally would not have repaired that tire.

But I will say that of our vehicles has a plug in a tire in sort of a similar location and it has held for many thousands of miles.

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
but in most states that repair is flat-out illegal. Illegal for a very good reason.

Can you cite some sources?

I see the tire manufacturer trade group wants states to pass laws about tire repairs, but I don't see much about states actually doing it.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/channel/...px?prestitial=1

Additional info here. This article claims no states have laws regarding legal/illegal tire repairs, but I don't know if that's accurate. He may be referring to federal laws, but then later he refers to the proposed tire repair laws, which would be on the state level.
http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/2012...ot-some-answers

Quote:
What laws exist today governing tire repair?

In the U.S., none.

Do you have TPMS?

No.. you would be saluting the queen of England. They had a queen for 60 years or so.

Originally Posted By: Win

Do you have TPMS?

LOL.

+1

Except that time is money, and many folks are now in situations where they get fired for taking a day off. On top of that, there is the risk associated with loss of control, failure in an unoppportune position (wife, late at night wrong side of town, etc.) or whatever else.

A few years ago I had a tire with 2000 miles on it plugged in the same manner. It was fine and lasted several years until I finally replaced the tire due to tread depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back